PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mastercraft X Star Steering Help

992envy
07-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I have a 2009 Mastercraft X-Star. My steering was butter (pinky turning ability) at the beginning of my trip this past weekend. After a day of boating I attached the anchor to the front of my boat, and a buddy was pulling my boat backwards to shore so we could unload. At the time my steering wheel was turned to the left, so the rudder was as far as it could go. He pulled the boat to far back into the land which jammed my rudder. It basically over rotated. So when you looked at the back of the boat you could see the whole side of the rudder. At the time I didn't even know this happened. The next day when I got into the boat, I noticed the wheel was locked. It wouldn't turn or budge at all. At that point I lifted up my engine compartment pad and realized what had happened, by lookg at the linkage bolted to the rudder. I dove under the boat and saw the rudder and realized what had happened. I dove under again and with manually force (all my strength) moved it back where it had "popped" back into place. After this the steering still worked left and right but deff was not buttery like before. It is harder to turn and cant be turned with my pinky.

On a side not the boat was going very slow and not running. I was very surprised to see this happen, and believe it would not have happened if the wheel was straight as well as the rudder itself.

The first thing I checked was the splines on the steering wheel, and the splines on the "rack" thats part of the steering cable and bolts to the gears from the wheel. All splines were fine and not damaged. Im guessing the part that was damaged is what the steering cable attaches to under the engine. Im not sure what this part is called but noticed it has movement and is bolted (via one bolt) to a bracket under the engine. On the other side of this "part" is a small looking cylinder that attaches to the rudder. Can you guys help me out with what these parts are called? I can't image these parts come in a new cable replacement?

I've done quiet a bit of research online and it seems like people have to replace the steering cable when they have "tight" steering or stiff steering when at one point it was originally butter like mine. I have replaced steering cables before but in older boats with slightly different linkage in the engine compartment. Im thinking I should replace the cable and the part in the engine compartment that attach to the rudder itself.

Thank you all for your help.

ProStar Slalom
07-12-2011, 03:49 AM
I would first disconnect the steering cable from the rudder and see how the rudder moves. If the rudder is stiff without the cable attached then you may have bent the rudder shaft. If it moves freely, then work your way upstream.

Jerseydave
07-12-2011, 03:54 AM
I would remove the rudder (not a hard task) and check the key and slot between the rudder and tiller arm to see if the key is partially stripped/sheared.

Or perhaps your cable has slipped were the bracket holds the outer jacket of the cable to the boat.

992envy
07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys, Just disconnected the rudder from the steering plunger or whatever the part is called and the rudder moves freely... Can someone tell me what the part is called that bolts to the rudder as well as the part that connects to?

Thanks

Jerseydave
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys, Just disconnected the rudder from the steering plunger or whatever the part is called and the rudder moves freely... Can someone tell me what the part is called that bolts to the rudder as well as the part that connects to?

Thanks

The tiller arm slides over the shaft of the rudder (rudder has a keyway, key and pinch bolt)
The steering cable is connected to the other end (small end) fo the tiller arm.

Sounds like your rudder and tiller arm are ok? Maybe the cable has jumped out of it's original spot?

BTW, don't pull your boat backward into shore....nose the bow in instead.

992envy
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I disconnected all the parts, so its just the steering wheel and cable. It is still the same so I'm going to assume it is the cable itself.

992envy
07-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Dave. I'm realizing now that the parts I'm asking about are all apart of the steering cable assembly. The cable must have jumped a tooth or must have been stretched or something. You guys are awesome and extremely helpful. Thanks again