PDA

View Full Version : Stereo options for 2003 x2

x2danger
07-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I am looking to upgrade my whole in my x2 as i am unhappy with the current clarion system in there now which doesn't even work. I noticed that all the speakers are all two way
I think you call it (mids and highs separate). I have looked at Polk and JL and like those but would like to know all my options. I also want everything to match as much as possible. I like wet sounds tower speakers but it looks like they only have coaxial in boat speakers.
Any suggestions on head units and amps would also be helpful.
I am not trying to break the bank but also don't want to have to replace stuff every year due to poor quality stuff. Basically I want to get the most bang for my buck. I would like to stay around $2000 to $2500 at the most.
Please help me build my system!

Do It
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Building new stereos is always fun.. Hope I can help.. I have a few questions (Sorry I'm not familiar with that year boat, but I love building stereos):

1. Where's the deck in that boat (Glovebox or accessible to driver)? Also, is it a double or single din size?
2. Sounds like the speakers you have already are components. What size are they and how many?
3. What sources do you listen to music from (Ipod, radio, cd, Satellite)?
4. Do you want to add a sub to the system?

x2danger
07-12-2011, 12:46 AM
The deck is in the glove box and it is a single din. There are four 6.5" and four 1" tweeters. And 2 of the same as tower speakers. I will be listening mostly iPod and radio and sometimes cd, no satellite. It already has a sub don't know if it's 10 or 12" and it's free air.

Thanks

Do It
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
So does the Clarion Deck in there have a wired remote in the dash and/or transom? Reason I ask is to find out if you'll have a cutout in your dash if you replace with another manufacturer..

Are the components JL's? If so, powered right, those things can rock...

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I head you in the right direction.

brucemac
07-12-2011, 01:34 AM
same boat and year.

here's what i did:

1) Clarion M475 Head Unit - works with helm and transom remote (didn't have to mess with new remotes, there are other options)
(2) Wetsounds Pro 80s (200W x 2)
(1) Wetsounds Syn6
(1) Wetsounds Syn4
(1) Wetsounds WS420
(4) Polk Mobile Monitor MM6501 Components (125W x 4)
(1) Image Dynamics 10in IDQv3-D2 Subwoofer Custom Ported (600W x 1)
(3) Optima Blue Top - 1 Start, 2 House Bank
(1) iSimple is75 iPhone/iPod Charging and Aux Input
(1) SurePower 1314 Battery Seperator/Combiner

on the polks, the MM6501's tweeters pressure fit right into the clarion tweeter cups. i too would have went wetsounds if they had seperates, but at this time they do not.

if i had to do it over again. i'd have probably gone JL 7.7's with the sport grills and found the spacers for the bow. it will require cutting though. not to say the polks are not good, but i just like the looks of the JL's better and i think they'd hold up a bit better in the bow. i had someone bend the metal grill on one of the bow tweeters last summer. kind of a bummer and i need to buy a new set to replace it. i would have gone with (2) Syn4's and (1) Syn1 instead of the Syn6 and Syn4.

i'd also spring for the new REV 10's and re-wire my Syn4 to give them 400W RMS. i'm hearing really good things about them.

992envy
07-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I would deff not match interior speakers to tower speakers. I believe you can get more bang for your buck if you purchase different equipment. In my opinion not one company makes the best components for everything. For your budget I believe the Polks would be a good speaker for the interior of the boat. They have built in crossovers to them which is nice and makes installation easier. I would look into Exile tower speakers. They make wonderful product. www.exileaudio.com

Do It
07-12-2011, 02:15 AM
BruceMac, I like your setup. I was going to suggest the Polks you have, becuase the JL 7.75"s at roughly $400 a pair will price him out of that budget pretty quickly when you start adding all the rest in. I've ran the momos in the past and currently have 5 sets of the JL's - they all sound good when powered right.

I can't give an opinion on the Wetsounds amps, because I've never used them. However, I really like the Rockford power series. They're compact, stay cool, and deliver more-than-stated power.

Definitely need in-dash equilizers like the WetSounds 420 BruceMac has or the Audio Control Three.2. That way you can easily fade between the tower/cabin, have sub control, and have an aux plug in at your fingertips.

x2danger
07-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all the help so far!

Do it,
Yes I do have a wired remote. Are the rockford amps marine grade? For some reason my boat gets really wet where my amps are currently so I would like to get amps that are as water resistant as possible.

Brucemac,
Do you have pics of your set up? The m475 is discontinued, what is the current equivalent of that unit, the m309? Do the mm6501's have built in crossovers, the pics look like it comes with a separate little box. Are the mm6501 um's worth the extra $?

Envy,
I will check out the exiles.

Anyone know about bullet? How do they compare to wetsounds?

JRW160
07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a 2003 X2 I bought earlier this year, and I have done a few upgrades to the system. Mine had the factory 10" clarion free-air sub in the kickpanel and 2 pairs of clarion components all running off a 4 channel amp. I believe it's 90watts per channel. I disconnected the factory sub and gave each set of components its own channel on the factory amp. I added a set of wetsounds pro80s running off a kicker zx350.4 which is pushing 175watts to each pro80. I also added a 15" kicker solo baric L7 running off a kicker dx1000.1. I also added a ws420. I put two 115ah marine/rv deep cycle batteries from costco in to run the stereo bank and wired them into the perko to keep the stereo isolated from the starting battery. I installed a guest 2610a to charge the battery banks.

I'm overall pretty happy with my setup now, but I do have a few complaints. My stock clarion head unit does not have an auxiliary in, so I have to run my ipod through the ws420, which means I can't use the remote volume control about the throttle.

I'm also not happy with the positioning of the interior speakers. The sound from the rear components gets blocked by the cooler we always have in the middle of the floor, so I can't even tell they are on The sets in the bow make it impossible for anyone to hold a conversation up there. I would like to replace the stock components and add another set in a better listening position for the driver.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I have an 06 x1 and here was my install:

Cheap Sony marine unit $125
Wetsound syn 6 $700
Wetsound pro485 $700
Jl 2 ch sub amp $65
Jl 10inch marine sub $119

I was lucky my boat came with the awesome 7.7...

For your boat to avoid cutting I would get the 6.5 marine speakers with 1" tweeters. And a syn6. Either a pro 485 or a pair of revolution 8/10 from wetsounds. You can power all of these from the syn6 and use the "bass" knob on channel 5/6 so u can lower the tower speakers without touching the headunit.

brucemac
07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I have an 06 x1 and here was my install:

Cheap Sony marine unit $125
Wetsound syn 6 $700
Wetsound pro485 $700
Jl 2 ch sub amp $65
Jl 10inch marine sub $119

I was lucky my boat came with the awesome 7.7...

For your boat to avoid cutting I would get the 6.5 marine speakers with 1" tweeters. And a syn6. Either a pro 485 or a pair of revolution 8/10 from wetsounds. You can power all of these from the syn6 and use the "bass" knob on channel 5/6 so u can lower the tower speakers without touching the headunit.

FYI, Channels 1/2 & 3/4 bridged on a Syn6 isn't going to drive a pair of Rev 10's properly. At least not according to Wetsounds. You'd be doing yourself a disservice only putting 200W RMS to a Rev10. The Syn4 is a better match at 400W.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Syn6
60x4 for each of the inboard speakers and channel 5/6 bridged for 600w for the prov485 or 300 per rev8/10

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Maybe the rev8/10 won't work but the pro485 will and be plenty loud ... Mine is

brucemac
07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
no worries, but 5&6 bridged to 600 is one channel mono. ;)

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Yea I though you could wire 2 rev's to 4 ohms but they are 4 ohms each... The pro 485 would save some money too. He could still use his original amp and sub and decided later if he wants more bass

x2danger
07-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok I have decided and ordered 2 pairs of Polk mm6501um. $190/pair, does that sound about right? Next I will need a head unit and amps I guess, any suggestions? The clarion m475 is discontinued, is the m309 equivalent? Also I need to build my system in stages, am I going about this the right so far? My current system doesn't even work so I want to have something to listen to till I get more $$.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Do know what part is broken? Headunit speakers or amps?

brucemac
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
i think that's about what i paid for my MM6501's. the UM's are slightly different. the crossover is attached to the basket and the magnet is covered a little differently is all. oh and the grills are silver/gray i believe versus black. you'll be happy with them. don't let the weight of them fool you. it's the neodynium magnet that makes them lighter than competitive speakers in this category.

the m309 looks to be a logical replacement to the M475, but i'm not sure of the remote compatability. you should be able to call clarion and find out.

i wouldn't skimp on RMS to the polks. i would aim for 100-125W per speaker.

as far as amps, i would look for efficiency. wetsounds, alpine pdx, arc audio, possibly exile audio. i would also plan your phases carefully so you don't end up forklift upgrading your amp(s) to add a subwoofer and tower speakers. you'll definitely need at least (2) amps for (4) cabins, (1) sub and (1-2) pairs of tower speakers. in my case, i wish i had gone with 3 as it lends itself to more flexabilty when the upgrade bug bites.

x2danger
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Agarabaghi,

It's all broken, amps have rust on them, speakers are rotten, and head unit doesn't even turn on.

What amp(s) is the minimum I can get by with for now but still have room for upgrades? I plan on getting a pair of wet sounds rev 8's or 10's.

I have narrowed it down to 2 head units, the clarion m309 and alpine cda9886m. Is the alpine worth the extra $$?

timvan
07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I went with the MM speakers in the cabin, a jl 10/w7 and a pair of alpine pdx amps...the Pdx amps are great... sound amazing.. very loud and clear.

We find that many other boats in the cove will turn thier radios off and listen to what were playing :rolleyes:

Also have cda 118m headunit... love it. Not crazy about the transom remote lag though

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
I found it a waste to spend so much money on headunits. Check out Sonys entry level marine unit. I got mine for $125 and spent $100 on a remote, which came with enough wiring to go up and around the nose.

Depending on how you want to do it... you could always just get a headunit and 4 speakers and run that for now.

Then get an amp to run tower speakers and decided if you want bass or not.

I wanted an amp to power the JL 7.7 as they needed more power than the headunit can offer. I am only running 60w/rms to them but they pound.

Clarion marine amps are the cheap decent end
sony makes a cheap 3/4 channel 600w amp that could power 4 speakers and a sub decently and then you can get a big amp for the tower speakers.