PDA

View Full Version : best way to flush trans and best trans fluid ????

91.Maristar.240
07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
1991 Maristar 240 454 HO
I have a pump hooked up to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket that i use to change the oil with.
just suck it out or is there more to it?
whats the best fluid and how much do i use to refill it?

obviously this is my first boat with a transmission of this nature I am used to cassale v-drives.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Thats it just suck out the old fluid with your pump and add new if the fluid still looks dirty then repeat as necessary. As far as the fluid use a good quality dex/merc III and you'll be good...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-11-2011, 08:13 PM
As far as the quantity, start with the amount you sucked out, you can download a owners manual from the knowledge section at the top of the web page for your year and model it will give you all the specifics...

91.Maristar.240
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks it says dextron 2
1:1 2 quarts
1.5:1 3 quarts

how do i find out which i have?

91.Maristar.240
07-11-2011, 08:38 PM
never mind its a borg warner 1:1 ratio "says it right on the top of the trans" lol

91.Maristar.240
07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
so ... dexmerc III
or ... dexron II ???????

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Dextron II is hard to find, dex III is its replacement, as far as the gear ratio you can look on the tag on the transmission, the 1.5 is called a powerslot other than that you'll have to use the dipstick to see if your full, also you need to run the engine to get the transmission fluid pumped around then check your dipstick, do not put the transmission in gear out of the water as the propeller shaft bearings are water cooled and water lubricated as this can damage the bearings...

gohabsgo
07-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Along the same lines, I first noticed the tranny slipping when I was pulling a skier (only on the pull out of the water). Checked the tranny fluid and noticed a milky frothy look on the dipstick (not good, probably water contamination). Then I found a slit in one of the hoses going from the tranny (velvet drive 1:1 ratio) to the back end of the tranny oil cooler. Completely pumped out the old fluid with new Dex III. No problems on the pull but found the slit mentioned above.

Could the slit in the hose have caused water going into the tranny fluid?

Getting a new hose put on this wkend. How hard is it to install these hoses? Seems straight forward with a couple turns of the wrench (I believe a 1" nut or so). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy boating.

Matt L.
07-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I did the same. Just sucked it out, refilled, ran a bit, repeated until satisfied.

Later,

Matt

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Along the same lines, I first noticed the tranny slipping when I was pulling a skier (only on the pull out of the water). Checked the tranny fluid and noticed a milky frothy look on the dipstick (not good, probably water contamination). Then I found a slit in one of the hoses going from the tranny (velvet drive 1:1 ratio) to the back end of the tranny oil cooler. Completely pumped out the old fluid with new Dex III. No problems on the pull but found the slit mentioned above.

Could the slit in the hose have caused water going into the tranny fluid?

Getting a new hose put on this wkend. How hard is it to install these hoses? Seems straight forward with a couple turns of the wrench (I believe a 1" nut or so). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy boating.

Yes its possible to get water in the transmission likely that, they are easy to change with basic hand tools be sure to put rags down to catch excessive leakage and top off transmission fluid when down...

gohabsgo
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys. One more stupid question. Since it is a blog, I guess there are no stupid questions. I want to make sure I don't strip the nut when I'm taking the hose off both ends so I'm assuming "counterclockwise for off", "clockwise for on".

For others who may need to replace a hose like this, I got it from my local Mastercraft dealer in Lake George NY for $28. You will need your engine serial # and model and which hose it is. The hose in question is 33" since it goes to the back of the tranny cooler wherease the other hose is a 30" hose.

Btw, I'm riding a 1994 Maristar 225 with only 190 hrs since I ski on a small Adirondack Lake 1hr north of Lake George. May sell it to get a newer model.

Thrall
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Yes right tighty, lefty loosey 99% sure. Doesn't seem like a reverse thread type application. Usually only see rev threads when the direction of thread could cause a rotating object to loosen up.

Wkbrder
07-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know how tight the lid on the filter should be? After cleaning the filter I put it back on and tightened the screw all the way, but with a little extra effort I can spin the top. Should I not be able to turn it at all in order to get a good seal. keep finding oil in my bilge and have a pretty good feeling that this is where it's coming from.