PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Price Increase

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I am being told there is a 8% price increase for 2012 ... seems a little ridiculous for the current boat market. Starting to second guess my thought of buying a new MC X-25 ... MSRP Base is now over 100k on x-25 with 6.0 engine upgrade. Then add Tower, stereo, speakers, Plug n Play and you got a very expensive ride. When you can get a Malibu Wakesetter for 71k or a Tige RZ2 for 75K with options included in that price it makes you start to think ? While these boats are not a MC they are very capable boats. In terms of % of value loss after three years not much difference either. I think MC might just be pricing themselves out of the market. Just my thoughts as I ponder my decision ...

jason95gt
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
The biggest cost of this increase is a new EPA mandated gas tank which all the manufacturers have to deal with. They have all had there increase over the years and will continue to do so. The only problem in your comparison is you are comparing different types of boats. Malibu doesn't have a boat that compares to the 25 nor does Tige.

sand2snow22
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
The biggest cost of this increase is a new EPA mandated gas tank which all the manufacturers have to deal with. They have all had there increase over the years and will continue to do so. The only problem in your comparison is you are comparing different types of boats. Malibu doesn't have a boat that compares to the 25 nor does Tige.

Gas tank costs $8k? Maybe not in your mind or my mind, but I can tell you a lot of folks out there CHOOSE the Bu 23 LSV over the X-25.

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I was looking at 2011 X25s the other day and the MSRP for a basic model was 95k. I could see a 2012 costing 100k+ pretty easy. I was also told to expect the 8% increase as well.

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM

8% to cover a gas tank ... I donít think so ... I agree they are different hulls but still the boat is designed to do the same thing. While not a MC they are still very capable of doing the job and doing it well. And all models are going up 8% and all options going up 8% so there goes your gas tank theory? when you compound these type of increases every year then how much does a consumer what to spend for a wakeboard boat ! I am lucky enough that I can afford it but is it worth it !

I have water tested the Malibu wakesetter , Tige RZ2 , Centurion Enzo and the MC x15 & x25. While the X25 is my favorite each boat had its strength and weakness. I have to think is it 20k to 25K better !

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I may still buy the X-25 but thought it was worth bouncing around the forum to see if my feelings were being felt by anyone else

-V-
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I am sorry but if master craft is bumping their prices up, I will never be able to own a new one. Sad to say, but I might have to start looking at the comp to see if there is something out there that compares to my needs.

Trig2275
07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
I would and did buy a one year old MC before I would buy a new anything else. I tried my best to not buy a MC but after testing them all I could see and feel the difference. The ride quality of the MC in rough water is overwhelmingly better than the others. That alone is almost enough to convince you. Comparing new to new is a more difficult comparison because the difference in dollars is so evident. Keep in mind that if you can afford it, it really doesn't cost that much more. What you pay for a boat (which won't be MSRP anyways) isn't what it cost. The difference between what you pay for it and what you sell it for is what it actually cost. So if you pay 100k for it and sell it in a few years for 75k it only cost 25k. You can buy a BU for 80k and sell it for 60k so it cost you 20k. It really only cost a little more which is negligible considering the difference in boats. My .02

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 06:00 PM
8% to cover a gas tank ... I donít think so ... I agree they are different hulls but still the boat is designed to do the same thing. While not a MC they are still very capable of doing the job and doing it well. And all models are going up 8% and all options going up 8% so there goes your gas tank theory? when you compound these type of increases every year then how much does a consumer what to spend for a wakeboard boat ! I am lucky enough that I can afford it but is it worth it !

I have water tested the Malibu wakesetter , Tige RZ2 , Centurion Enzo and the MC x15 & x25. While the X25 is my favorite each boat had its strength and weakness. I have to think is it 20k to 25K better !

It's not just a gas tank.

Lars
07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
It was for a functional fuel pump too :D

Skipper
07-11-2011, 06:28 PM
100k just to sling a tube around in what would otherwise be great skiing water? Why not?

Thrall
07-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Someone needs to keep buying these things new! Don't crap out on me now or there won't be any used MC's for half price that I can actually afford!

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

Thats Funny !

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 06:44 PM
100k just to sling a tube around in what would otherwise be great skiing water? Why not?

Not just one tube, 3 of them and all right next to your boat while you suit up. :D lol

Jerseydave
07-11-2011, 06:53 PM
MSRP is pretty much meaningless.

The bottom line is what is your actual purchase price from the dealer?
Price the X-25 and then the competition (make sure the boats are equal size, a VLX is same size as an X-15 not an X-25)

I think you'll find MC will be right between a Malibu and a Nautique for price.
MC quality is far superior over the BU.

BTW, have you searched for used X-25's? They are out there.

stewvette
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Someone needs to keep buying these things new! Don't crap out on me now or there won't be any used MC's for half price that I can actually afford!

Haha, Yes that is awesome my thoughts exactly.

snork
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
8% every year. Looks like my hourly has increased respectfully

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Price the X-25 and then the competition (make sure the boats are equal size, a VLX is same size as an X-15 not an X-25)

BTW, have you searched for used X-25's? They are out there.

Youíre going to pay 20k over the others manufactures pricing on equal boats thatís hard numbers out the door as quoted from dealers. The questions is it worth 20K ? I am obviously not the only one that feels they are coming in a bit too strong on the pricing. Its whether we are willing to keep paying it ! I posted this to spark everyoneís thinking on pricing and it seems that others think the same and others have just written off the idea of ever being able to afford a new MC, I think thatís bad. Many car manufactures have done the same to their customers. They are never able to afford the replacement as they have been priced right out of the market. Truth be told I will most likely end up with a new MC overpriced or not. I guess thatís why they keep raising the price !

wheeler
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM

You said it...good one and so true!

It is amazing that MC continues to make such crap fuel pumps.

DJ 50
07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I would and did buy a one year old MC before I would buy a new anything else. I tried my best to not buy a MC but after testing them all I could see and feel the difference. The ride quality of the MC in rough water is overwhelmingly better than the others. That alone is almost enough to convince you. Comparing new to new is a more difficult comparison because the difference in dollars is so evident. Keep in mind that if you can afford it, it really doesn't cost that much more. What you pay for a boat (which won't be MSRP anyways) isn't what it cost. The difference between what you pay for it and what you sell it for is what it actually cost. So if you pay 100k for it and sell it in a few years for 75k it only cost 25k. You can buy a BU for 80k and sell it for 60k so it cost you 20k. It really only cost a little more which is negligible considering the difference in boats. My .02

Dont forget to add the extra couple 100 bucks you pay each month in your monthly payment. I agree Mastercraft is a better boat but how much better?

ttu
07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
You said it...good one and so true!

It is amazing that MC continues to make such crap fuel pumps.

tell me about it! guess mastercraft uses the pony express to ship their parts by. still waiting for mine to come in to my dealer. i am going to rebuild the old fuel pump assy when i pick the darn boat back up.

sand2snow22
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM

U think they just raise the MSRP by 8%? What about cost to dealer, cost to consumer. That increases, too! :o

Trig2275
07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
they're now building new boats for the "money is no object" crowd. No different than Nautique though...

REDX2
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Mastercraft has been the only boat I have owned and I was in the Market for a new X25 but with the prices rising every year by a big amount, Im now thinking of looking at other brands
Its sad seeing that I am a true Mastercraft owner and always have been

Jerseydave
07-11-2011, 09:09 PM
U think they just raise the MSRP by 8%? What about cost to dealer, cost to consumer. That increases, too! :o

What I meant by that is the MSRP that MC advertises seems/is much more inflated than say that of some other boat companies. I think other boat dealers cannot discount as much off the MSRP than the MC dealer can. Call it more wiggle room if you will.

Nobody pays MSRP for clothes, furniture, cars or boats.

What's your actual cost of an X-25 vs. a Malibu 23 LSV?
(Of course the MC will be higher, mostly because it's built better)

Keep in mind the added value of the Illmor engine in the MC.

broncotw
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
$100,000.00 is a lot of money to spend on a boat! In some parts of the country that is a mortgage! I have always searched for used boats that are a year or two old and in my opinion I always get a much better deal....

lawdogg149
07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Future buyers got to pay for $30,000,000 lawsuit as well. Darn California's. But im sure increase from suppliers have been more than 8%. (at least in my business 15% so far this year alone)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-11-2011, 09:52 PM
What I meant by that is the MSRP that MC advertises seems/is much more inflated than say that of some other boat companies. I think other boat dealers cannot discount as much off the MSRP than the MC dealer can. Call it more wiggle room if you will.

I have never seen an official msrp sticker on a new mastercraft its always been some sheet that the dealer makes and "says this is msrp". Been to 3 different dealers in texas and all have different paperwork. I don't think mastercraft supplies a sticker like automotive manufacturers do...

REDX2
07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Ive been looking at a new X25 and thought about waiting for the 2012 model but after seeing that there was going to be a price increase I started looking at other brands.
whats even funnier is the other brand dealers offered me much more for trade in on my 07 x2
so whats a guy to do????

Dino Don
07-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Mine just looks better and better and better--annnnd bettttter----amazing!

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/rioo68/IMG_0579.jpg

Trig2275
07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
8% increase somewhat equally translates into resale value for current owners. The new vs used relationship will always be relative. Rolex watches are much the same. Rolex has a price increase every year so eventually you can actually sell your Rolex for what you paid for it.

Skipper
07-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Yeah but you can't pull three tubes in a series of figure eights while I am getting into my gear at the end of the slalom course. Nor can you create a ginormous surfing wake that swamps small boats and sends large fish flopping onto the shoreline. No sir, you are just going to have to plop down $100,000.00 smackeroos to do that.

gatorguy
07-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Yeah it does. All except those hull ID stickers. They might set you back $10 though, not $100K.

gatorguy
07-11-2011, 10:51 PM

I like the way you do math. Could you come and talk to my wife. I'm trying to convince her that we should trade the 205 for a new X7 and keep that for me to ski with, then we need to get an X35 for the family to swim around and pull tubes with (that is what it was made for wasn't it?) That would put me right around the 200k mark worth of boats sitting on the side of the house that is barely worth more than that.

I was at the MC dealer in SLC they wanted $144K-x35, $150K-x45, $155K-x55, and $179K-x80 (the only brand new X80 at a dealer in the country they so proudly told me) I wanted to look at the X7 and X14 but they said there just was no market for them, but they would be happy to special order one for me that wouldn't be ready until about March 2012 or was it 2013. I think it was the later (2013) it sure seemed like a long wait.

The kicker was that they said they were moving boats like crazy. Especially the x25, and they had no used MC inventory they sold so fast. At least that is what they told me.

Dino Don
07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Yep, lets see--100,000 less 10 that leaves 99,990 that'll buy a couple used ones!!

I'll update pic when I put on new letters--grey in color!

JimN
07-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I am being told there is a 8% price increase for 2012 ... seems a little ridiculous for the current boat market. Starting to second guess my thought of buying a new MC X-25 ... MSRP Base is now over 100k on x-25 with 6.0 engine upgrade. Then add Tower, stereo, speakers, Plug n Play and you got a very expensive ride. When you can get a Malibu Wakesetter for 71k or a Tige RZ2 for 75K with options included in that price it makes you start to think ? While these boats are not a MC they are very capable boats. In terms of % of value loss after three years not much difference either. I think MC might just be pricing themselves out of the market. Just my thoughts as I ponder my decision ...

Because people are stupid and can get a jury to believe that 12 morons in the bow, causing one to fall in and be injured by the prop, is the manufacturer's fault even though the boat's capacity is posted on the gunwale. Product liability costs have been rising at an incredible rate for a long time and they have to pay for it, somehow.

jwardenjr
07-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Because people are stupid and can get a jury to believe that 12 morons in the bow, causing one to fall in and be injured by the prop, is the manufacturer's fault even though the boat's capacity is posted on the gunwale. Product liability costs have been rising at an incredible rate for a long time and they have to pay for it, somehow.

Your kidding with that statement right ?

sand2snow22
07-12-2011, 12:59 AM

I'm following you. I can get a 2010 X-25 for $75k and a 2011 23 LSV for $70k. Let's just say not much difference in price...... ;)

I heard 4-6% MC increase this year, but what do I know. I hope we get a year when one of the big wakeboard companies only takes a 1-2% price increase and the others follow......

JimN
07-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Your kidding with that statement right ?

Yes. and no. There's a real cost for peoples' stupidity and we all pay it whether we see it, or not.

Did anyone think about the increases in the cost of petroleum-based goods and a lot of items that are commodities we need on a daily basis? A MC or other boat is a luxury item, not a needed mode of transportation and isn't much different from complaining about the rise in cost of a Porsche or other high-end car.

Dino Don
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Do people not stop and think that somethings can just be "overpriced"? I had someone tell me years ago about pricing--"You don't know until you ask!"

????????

-V-
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
So i guess it all comes down to, what is the real price of a MasterCraft, to build, without adding in what they spend on marketing?

ski/hunt
07-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Exactly what you are willing to $ PAY $$$$$$$

FourFourty
07-12-2011, 09:42 AM

This^

The MSRP for the MC will be higher for some stupid reason, but the actual price will be almost identical. I priced a 23LSV and a SAN230 before I ordered my 2011 X25. The MSRP for the MC was a lot higher than both of the above..... however, the Actual price I could buy it for, was less than the SAN230, and only $1800.00 more than the 23LSV. I had spec'd all three as equally as I could.

I'm following you. I can get a 2010 X-25 for $75k and a 2011 23 LSV for $70k. Let's just say not much difference in price...... ;)

I heard 4-6% MC increase this year, but what do I know. I hope we get a year when one of the big wakeboard companies only takes a 1-2% price increase and the others follow......

You can get a brand new 2011 X25 for 75k easily.... My boat has a 6.2 ilmore, and is loaded with every option except SS package, power tower, and binding blaster..... And it was mid $80s. MSRP was crazy high though....Something like $119,000.00.... I think MC needs to calm down with the MSRP numbers a little bit.

ShawnB
07-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Our 2011 X25 was about 20% less than MSRP out the door. I didn't price any Nautique or Malibu at the same time but going by the boat show a few months later they were all in the same ballpark.

jwardenjr
07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
tell me where you can buy a 2011 X-25 with a 6.2 for 75K and I will buy it today ... I have contacted numerous dealers and the only X-25 I found even close to that was a base model boat with standard power @79k plus all there prep shipping & fees etc bringing it close to 85k this boat had almost no options. Since nothing comes with a MC its barebones ... so since you say easily let me know where and I am ready to buy ! The 6.2 is like an 8k option alone plus you say every option

lawdogg149
07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Watersports Central in Buford GA. Try them ask for mike. Bet he can get you in it.

ShawnB
07-12-2011, 11:15 AM
tell me where you can buy a 2011 X-25 with a 6.2 for 75K and I will buy it today ... I have contacted numerous dealers and the only X-25 I found even close to that was a base model boat with standard power @79k plus all there prep shipping & fees etc bringing it close to 85k this boat had almost no options. Since nothing comes with a MC its barebones ... so since you say easily let me know where and I am ready to buy ! The 6.2 is like an 8k option alone plus you say every option

You're not going to get that kind of deal in July. Back in October/November there were deals to be had in both the primary and secondary market. If you're looking for a bargain you should really wait a little longer and either get a leftover/low-hour/demo 2011 or try to get incentives on an early 2012 when the factory is still looking to fill order their slots. The key to getting a good price (on any big-ticket item -- not just boats) is negotiation. If you aren't willing to do that you're going to overpay every time.

jason95gt
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
The gas tank issue is a major part of the increase. It isn't 8% alone. There are other costs and unless oil goes down in price along with everything else, they will just continue to get more expensive.

captain planet
07-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Gas tank costs $8k? Maybe not in your mind or my mind, but I can tell you a lot of folks out there CHOOSE the Bu 23 LSV over the X-25.

Is it because of the snazzy hollow stringers and that nifty ventilation system? 8p

jwardenjr
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
You're not going to get that kind of deal in July. Back in October/November there were deals to be had in both the primary and secondary market. If you're looking for a bargain you should really wait a little longer and either get a leftover/low-hour/demo 2011 or try to get incentives on an early 2012 when the factory is still looking to fill order their slots. The key to getting a good price (on any big-ticket item -- not just boats) is negotiation. If you aren't willing to do that you're going to overpay every time.

You said easily so can you tell me where ? I am serious about buying one at that price ...

TallRedRider
07-12-2011, 11:33 AM
I was at the MC dealer in SLC they wanted $144K-x35, $150K-x45, $155K-x55, and $179K-x80 (the only brand new X80 at a dealer in the country they so proudly told me)

The kicker was that they said they were moving boats like crazy. Especially the x25, and they had no used MC inventory they sold so fast. At least that is what they told me.

I heard that from them a lot too. I think it is probably true. They are the prototype MC dealer right now. They sell only to the ultra rich crowd who do not doubt much MSRP.

captain planet
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Exactly. If you are serious about buying a new boat...do it at a boat show when there are incentives. There are always incentives at boat shows because the manufacturers are trying to fill production slots for the year. In the past I have seen a free upgrade from the TBI to the MCX at the boat show one year as the incentive.

I'm not defending MC in saying this, but ALL new boats are crazy expensive. Two years ago while working the MC booth in Cleveland I walked around to price other new boats to get a comparison. I walked through the Chris-Craft booth and they had a 25 foot boat that was priced at 100K. Bass boats were also high, 65K plus. It is crazy.

Jim@BAWS
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Future buyers got to pay for $30,000,000 lawsuit as well. Darn California's. But im sure increase from suppliers have been more than 8%. (at least in my business 15% so far this year alone)

That type of comment does not help one bit...So knock it off. You seem to have the WORD LAW in your screen name. The LAWYERS at 75% of the damn problem.

To all...you will see a price increase accross the boat from every manufactuer. GM BLOCK prices have gone up across the board. So EVERYONE who uses GM will see an increase. RAW GOODS have really gone up!!! For those of you who voted for CHANGE....YOU GOT IT!!!

Jim@BAWS

FourFourty
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM

I didnt say you could get one with a 6.2l for 75k. I said that mine has a 6.2l and it was mid 80s..... Dont go skimming through my post and then putting words in my mouth. Read it, word for word.

The first configuration I quoted was with a Ilmore 5.7, and a few of the must have options, (Pro Pack, 2 tower speakers, heater, and obviously the trailer) and it was quoted at $74,200. That was in December though, and it was pretty basic....I obviously added a few options, and a big dollar engine, which added about 13k. I also didnt think much about seasonal price swings when I posted about being able to get one for 75k... Those probably have a big impact this time of year.... Or maybe your dealer needs a little more income from each boat sold. Who knows... I would still think, given the right dealer/boat, you could negotiate a final price (before tax) of mid 70s for an X25.

All I am telling you, is what I paid. And that my quoted price difference between a 23LSV, X25, and a SAN 230, was not very much. If you want to throw the BS flag at me, I will keep my usefull information to myself the next time you are looking for info....

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Maybe Jim will give you one fully loaded for $75k ;)

cbryan70
07-12-2011, 11:58 AM
ha jim will be in the 90k range he doesnt take less than 20% margin :-)

sand2snow22
07-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Jim had a great demo X-25 for a good price. I should have bought it. Jim, how much did it sell for?

sand2snow22
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Shameless plug for my local dealer with a nice 2010 X-25....

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2010-Mastercraft-X-Series-X-25-98915615

jwardenjr
07-12-2011, 12:35 PM
That type of comment does not help one bit...So knock it off. You seem to have the WORD LAW in your screen name. The LAWYERS at 75% of the damn problem.

To all...you will see a price increase accross the boat from every manufactuer. GM BLOCK prices have gone up across the board. So EVERYONE who uses GM will see an increase. RAW GOODS have really gone up!!! For those of you who voted for CHANGE....YOU GOT IT!!!

Jim@BAWS

The prices are obsord and you know it ! with that being said I guess if there is a market willing to pay it and you can get it ... Then more power to you.

I would buy a boat from you just based on your statement ... " you voted for a change ... and you got it" amen !

brucemac
07-12-2011, 12:39 PM

i didn't look through the options, but that's a nice lookin boat.

jwardenjr
07-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Jim@BAWS

A serious question Jim ..It seems like they dont give you any credit for the stock power when upgrading to the next engine upgrade ? is there really that much price change between engines.

JimN
07-12-2011, 01:53 PM
The prices are obsord and you know it ! with that being said I guess if there is a market willing to pay it and you can get it ... Then more power to you.

I would buy a boat from you just based on your statement ... " you voted for a change ... and you got it" amen !

So, in your opinion, how much should a boat cost? Include all of the expenses, like wages, FICA, bennies, insurance, facilities, marketing, materials, training/education because of new mandates by entities like the EPA, fees, licensing, cost increases from suppliers and transportation.

76S&S
07-12-2011, 02:20 PM

LOVE that boat, man I wish I could afford that.....

Jim@BAWS
07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=5558909&bvdid=3121&type=N&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&

BIGBADBLUE
07-12-2011, 05:05 PM
An 8 percent price hike is very high. CPI only increased by 3.2% and the average salary increase for all workers over the past 12 months was 2.65%.

This has nothing to do with price, so it is obvious that MC thinks the market can manage a 8% increase. If not they will lose share. Basic stuff

I will tell you the quality of a MC has gone down hill over the years, My new 2011 X14V has been in the shop 3 times in the 4 months i have owned it. Electrical issues, ballast pumps, bilge pumps, wrinkled vinyl. I had a person tell me that this was all outsourced stuff with the exception of the cushion and my response was not kind. MC is responsible for the TOTAL quality of their product.

I love my new boat and would absolutely recommend it to everyone but to say that MC has outstanding quality is living in the past.

wake_rider84
07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
just think if you buy a 2011 run out at 100K the 2012 will be 108k and the 2013 will be 116k your used 2011 will be worth what you payed for it two years ago! so mastercrfat have actually got cheaper to own! its now an investment! im going to get 2!

thats what im telling my other half...... we better not wait to long to get a new boat.

jwardenjr
07-12-2011, 08:02 PM
No lie ... I am telling my other half the same thing !

Skipper
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
That is seriously too much money for a boat. No way to justify selling it at that cost or paying that much for it. Definately for the "I am so rich that money doesn't matter" crowd. Totally insane!