PDA

View Full Version : Georgia boat license?

ahhudgins
07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm in VA and they have been phasing in the age groups required to pass the boating license test. I've had a small issue with a neighbor who has told me that her 16 year old son is "Certified" to drive a jet ski and also "certified to back up a trailer.." which is a joke. My 18 year old son just finished taking the VA test on line and when I questioned my neighbor about her son, she said she was mistaken and what she meant was her son was certified to drive a jet ski in Georgia because all you need is a driver's license. I went to the test website and Georgia is listed for taking the test, so is my neighbor still feeding me a load of crap?

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm in VA and they have been phasing in the age groups required to pass the boating license test. I've had a small issue with a neighbor who has told me that her 16 year old son is "Certified" to drive a jet ski and also "certified to back up a trailer.." which is a joke. My 18 year old son just finished taking the VA test on line and when I questioned my neighbor about her son, she said she was mistaken and what she meant was her son was certified to drive a jet ski in Georgia because all you need is a driver's license. I went to the test website and Georgia is listed for taking the test, so is my neighbor still feeding me a load of crap?

When we lived there all you needed was a boater safety course and I think the minimum age was 14 or 15. I'm sure a lot has changed over the years but you didn't need a DL to operate a jetski.

edit: This is the current law

Who May Operate a PWC
Persons less than 12 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.

Persons 12 to 15 years of age may legally operate a PWC only if they:

Have passed a boating safety course approved by the Department of Natural Resources or ...
Are accompanied by a competent adult or ...
Are under the direct supervision of a competent adult.
Persons 16 years of age or older may operate a PWC on the waters of Georgia if they have proper identification on board.

"Competent adult" means a person of age 18 or older who is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and who is carrying proper identification.

"Direct supervision" means within sight of and within 400 yards of a person who is aware of his or her supervisory responsibility.

"Proper identification" means a driver's license (or legible copy) or any other government-issued identification that contains a description of the person, a photograph, and date of birth.

/edit

ahhudgins
07-11-2011, 09:23 PM
When we lived there all you needed was a boater safety course and I think the minimum age was 14 or 15. I'm sure a lot has changed over the years but you didn't need a DL to operate a jetski.

edit: This is the current law

Who May Operate a PWC
Persons less than 12 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.

Persons 12 to 15 years of age may legally operate a PWC only if they:

Have passed a boating safety course approved by the Department of Natural Resources or ...
Are accompanied by a competent adult or ...
Are under the direct supervision of a competent adult.
Persons 16 years of age or older may operate a PWC on the waters of Georgia if they have proper identification on board.

"Competent adult" means a person of age 18 or older who is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and who is carrying proper identification.

"Direct supervision" means within sight of and within 400 yards of a person who is aware of his or her supervisory responsibility.

"Proper identification" means a driver's license (or legible copy) or any other government-issued identification that contains a description of the person, a photograph, and date of birth.

/edit

My neighbor couldn't understand why I didn't want her son bringing his PWC to our dock and letting everyone ride it. I just don't want the added responsibility and risk of someone getting injured and then me being named in a lawsuit. Her son did pass his VA license test this week but I'm not comfortable with him and his friends taking off unsupervised from the dock on a PWC that will run 60+ MPH. I still won't let my 22 year old take my boat out on the lake with his friends.

So I guess you can be 16 in Georgia, know nothing about boating laws, and then go 60 MPH.

1redTA
07-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I would tell your neighbor " I dont feel comfortable with other people on my dock operating around me, my family and my property. " if that didn't work " my dock, my rules"

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 09:48 PM
I would tell your neighbor " I dont feel comfortable with other people on my dock operating around me, my family and my property. " if that didn't work " my dock, my rules"

This, and I agree with you. I've seen the 16/18 year old crew running 60 mph skis and they are just a death trap waiting to happen.

It's your dock and you do make the rules. Don't let it bother you to tell them"no".

atlfootr
07-11-2011, 10:38 PM
My dock, my rules ... I like it!
Almost as good as MY BOAT, I RULE!

And if you don't like that, swim back over to your own dock.

oldairboater
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree--your dock--your rules. My boat--my rules. We have year around boating here. Everything from water sports to fishing and to hunting. I have been in boats from a time when no one was required by law to wear life jackets and now children are required life jackets. I remember not being tall enough to see over the wheel to steer the boat. All my friends grew up on the water. We were operating offshore charters as teens. We were driving over horse powered pickle forks as teens. I lost some friends to motor vehicle [cars,trucks,motorcycles]accidents with alcohol/ drug involvement. I watched the jet skis develop and become a nuisance. Ski boats, fishing boats, and working boats. My kids and the kids of the people I grew up with were operating boats before their teens. They had their own jon boats with small outboards for fishing. They graduated to all the other boats. My point is that none of them has ever got seriously hurt on the water in any watercraft and we haven't lost any to traffic accidents or drugs. I sometimes wonder if we learned from our own mistakes and did better with our kids. Now I see this new drivers lisc requirement starting and I wonder if people really believe this will make them safer? It is an idiot test that people are expected to pass in majority with limited instruction and no heritage.

ahhudgins
07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
So far there hasn't been a big issue, but I expect to get a phone call from the mother. The 16 year old in question is friends with my son and lives in our neighborhood...not at the lake. The parents allowed the 16 year old to purchase the PWC as soon as he got a part time job and my son invited him to the lake but we had no idea he was bringing the PWC. As soon as he unloaded it from the trailer he ripped thru the No Wake zone right in front of the gas pumps and boat slips. That is when I questioned his mother about his certification. I told my son that his friend is welcome to come to the lake, just leave the PWC at home. On some weekends we can have up to 5 or 6 kids at our dock ranging from 8 years old up to 25 (I still call them kids :D) and I'm responsible for them going home in one piece.

Apparently they were offended because last weekend the 16 year old didn't come to our lake but instead he took his 14 year old girlfriend and the PWC to Smith Mountain Lake...unsupervised. I have a HUGE problem with parents who would allow this, and that's why I don't want the liability at my dock. I don't have problem with the PWC, just the lack of driving skills of the 16 year old and the lack of supervision by the parents.

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 01:35 PM
So far there hasn't been a big issue, but I expect to get a phone call from the mother. The 16 year old in question is friends with my son and lives in our neighborhood...not at the lake. The parents allowed the 16 year old to purchase the PWC as soon as he got a part time job and my son invited him to the lake but we had no idea he was bringing the PWC. As soon as he unloaded it from the trailer he ripped thru the No Wake zone right in front of the gas pumps and boat slips. That is when I questioned his mother about his certification. I told my son that his friend is welcome to come to the lake, just leave the PWC at home. On some weekends we can have up to 5 or 6 kids at our dock ranging from 8 years old up to 25 (I still call them kids :D) and I'm responsible for them going home in one piece.

Apparently they were offended because last weekend the 16 year old didn't come to our lake but instead he took his 14 year old girlfriend and the PWC to Smith Mountain Lake...unsupervised. I have a HUGE problem with parents who would allow this, and that's why I don't want the liability at my dock. I don't have problem with the PWC, just the lack of driving skills of the 16 year old and the lack of supervision by the parents.

Don't sweat it. You already said no, now just go down to your dock and crack open a cold one :D and enjoy the rest of your season!

ahhudgins
07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
.... I sometimes wonder if we learned from our own mistakes and did better with our kids. Now I see this new drivers lisc requirement starting and I wonder if people really believe this will make them safer? It is an idiot test that people are expected to pass in majority with limited instruction and no heritage.

I admitted to my son that while I was pulling all of his friends this past weekend that I came pretty close to running over a Ski Nautique that had stopped in the water ahead of us. I had two people in my bow and I always tell them to sit in one position and not move around so I can keep looking around each of them. I was going 25 MPH and the bow wasn't too high, but the Nautique was in the shadow of a large hill and I had gotten within 50 yards of them before I ever saw the boat. A written test can't take the place of 30 years on the water.

My stomach was in a knot for about an hour after that.

76S&S
07-12-2011, 03:24 PM
In AL, it's 14 and pass the test. Some will argue that this is too young, but I would trust one of my twins (now 15) over most of the yahoos I see on the water. The other twin, only drives when I'm with him.

oldairboater
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Your experience though must have counted because you are typing here about a near miss. Every once in awhile I remember why I do something from habit and why it is important. I got onto several people for standing up at the same time in the boat last weekend when there was no need to be standing. Sure enough a wake maker came by and rocked us and I saw several stumbling over each other. I see this lisc. issue as nothing but a tax. You are doing right. My daddy taught me. I taught my son. He will teach his son. Every time I register my boat I get this stupid rule book that no one follows with the exception of life jackets and equipment. I would have probably spent more time trying to teach the kids etiquette instead of just baring the pwc. I learned that no sometimes just means while daddy is watching but learn the right way might last when daddy is out of sight. JMO.I admitted to my son that while I was pulling all of his friends this past weekend that I came pretty close to running over a Ski Nautique that had stopped in the water ahead of us. I had two people in my bow and I always tell them to sit in one position and not move around so I can keep looking around each of them. I was going 25 MPH and the bow wasn't too high, but the Nautique was in the shadow of a large hill and I had gotten within 50 yards of them before I ever saw the boat. A written test can't take the place of 30 years on the water.

My stomach was in a knot for about an hour after that.

ahhudgins
07-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Your experience though must have counted because you are typing here about a near miss. Every once in awhile I remember why I do something from habit and why it is important. I got onto several people for standing up at the same time in the boat last weekend when there was no need to be standing. Sure enough a wake maker came by and rocked us and I saw several stumbling over each other. I see this lisc. issue as nothing but a tax. You are doing right. My daddy taught me. I taught my son. He will teach his son. Every time I register my boat I get this stupid rule book that no one follows with the exception of life jackets and equipment. I would have probably spent more time trying to teach the kids etiquette instead of just baring the pwc. I learned that no sometimes just means while daddy is watching but learn the right way might last when daddy is out of sight. JMO.

Agree 100%. My two sons have been driving the boat supervised since they were about 14 or 15. They are 18 and 22 now and I still see them do things that keep me from turning over the keys to either one of them. Mostly chatting with their friends and not keeping their eyes forward when I'm behind the boat. My son passed his on line test but I told him that he has a while before he drives without me in the boat. My 22 year old drinks too much and acts like he is 15 so I don't ever see him driving my boat.:rolleyes:

There is more to operating a water craft than just passing an on line test....and the test for VA is free.

plunk77
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM
i was almost literally raised on a boat so driving it was always something i wanted to do when i was younger. my dad would let me "drive" aka sit on his lap from the time i was around 5. learned every rule. i was 14 when he finally let me take the boat out by myself. (best day of my life). i'm 99% sure that he trusts me more than my mother to drive the boat because she didn't take as much interest in it as i did (admittedly she was driving the boat long before i was even born). now on the other hand i went out with a friend on his lake in his dad's IO. we were i think 18 at this time. he said he'd never been out by himself before but he has passed the Ohio watercraft license test. there were so many close calls driving with him that i literally asked if i could drive then never gave it up. needless to say i haven't been out with him since.

the point is if you have someone willing to teach you and you learn how to do things the right way, and actually care, this "license" doesn't mean anything. any wally can get a license. i still have yet to take the test in ohio or in tennessee where i boat all the time and frankly i don't care to. I'm 21 now and one year under the requirement, so if i get stopped i'm screwed, but i think i'm better qualified than half of the people who have the license

ahhudgins
07-13-2011, 11:36 PM
1/3 of boaters in VA don't even know they will be required to pass a test. 1/3 of the boaters think that everyone was required to pass the test this July, and the other 1/3 can't figure out when they have to pass the test!!

trickskier
07-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Hell - Most people in Jawga don't even have drivers licenses. How do you think they're going to pass a boating class??? 8p

DemolitionMan
07-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Hell - Most people in Jawga don't even have drivers licenses. How do you think they're going to pass a boating class??? 8p

You live in south Georgia.8p

trickskier
07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
You live in south Georgia.8p

Then you must line in South Carolina! 8p