PDA

View Full Version : Indmar Engines Shts Down

bonsai047
07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I was wondering if someone has encountered a similar problem.

I have a 1987 Mastercraft 190 PRO series boat with a 351 HP Indmar motor and Velvet drive. The boat starts right up and idles fantastic at 850 RPMs. The temperature gauge stays at 140 degrees and the oil pressure is at 90. The battery shows 12.5 Volts.

The boat will sit in dock and idle forever with no misses or hesitation. After I leave dock and run at half or full speed for 15 to 20 minutes, when I pull back on the throttle to slow speed or come to a stop, the engine dies. It will not turn-over and acts like it is either flooded (or starved for fuel) or the battery is weak. I placed my hand on the starter and coil and both are cool. The intake manifolds are also cool. If I sit for 5 minutes or so, the boat will start but the idle is a little rough. I run a full tank of high octane gas and have checked the anti-siphon valve on top of the gas tank to make sure it was not stuck.

I recently changed the coil, cleaned the gas tank, replaced the water/gas filter and changed to a point-less (electronic) distributor. I have a new solenoid, starter, battery cables and ignition switch. I had the 4160 Holley carbureator rebuilt two years ago with new gaskets.

I was wondering if the fuel pump might be the culpret. I understand it has two diaphram valves in it which may malfuction. If not could I have a vapor lock?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Skipper
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Probably the carb. Rebuilds can either be great, okay, or not too good. I had an '87 and I fought carb issues through several rebuilds. Finally just bought a new carb. Wow! Life was great after that.

JimN
07-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I was wondering if someone has encountered a similar problem.

I have a 1987 Mastercraft 190 PRO series boat with a 351 HP Indmar motor and Velvet drive. The boat starts right up and idles fantastic at 850 RPMs. The temperature gauge stays at 140 degrees and the oil pressure is at 90. The battery shows 12.5 Volts.

The boat will sit in dock and idle forever with no misses or hesitation. After I leave dock and run at half or full speed for 15 to 20 minutes, when I pull back on the throttle to slow speed or come to a stop, the engine dies. It will not turn-over and acts like it is either flooded (or starved for fuel) or the battery is weak. I placed my hand on the starter and coil and both are cool. The intake manifolds are also cool. If I sit for 5 minutes or so, the boat will start but the idle is a little rough. I run a full tank of high octane gas and have checked the anti-siphon valve on top of the gas tank to make sure it was not stuck.

I recently changed the coil, cleaned the gas tank, replaced the water/gas filter and changed to a point-less (electronic) distributor. I have a new solenoid, starter, battery cables and ignition switch. I had the 4160 Holley carbureator rebuilt two years ago with new gaskets.

I was wondering if the fuel pump might be the culpret. I understand it has two diaphram valves in it which may malfuction. If not could I have a vapor lock?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

If it shows 12.5V on the gauge when it's running, check the battery voltage with a meter at the battery and see if it's significantly different. If it is, check the ground connections on the block after cleaning & tightening the battery clamps.