PDA

View Full Version : 81 SS Oil Change Questions

tex599
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Changed the oil in my new to me 81 MC and had some questions. I drained the oil and only got about 3 maybe 3.5 qts out. Left the old filter on and refilled it with 3 qts, the dip stick was showing over the fill line. Put the boat in the water and drove to the dock, checked the oil and it is showing half-way in between the add and full mark. My question is according to the manual it should hold 4 qts in the oil pan and the an additional quart with the filter change, how many qts does your boat hold and is your dipstick accurate?

blakehardesty
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I buy the 4+ quart jug from auto zone. It takes it all. I do always replace the filter too.

WilliM1940
07-11-2011, 11:58 AM
No, the dipsticks are not always accurate. You need 4 +1 = 5 quarts just as you stated. Drain it well, leave it drip overnight and refill with 5 quarts. Run your engine and remark your stick with a file if it is found to be off.

CantRepeat
07-11-2011, 12:02 PM
No, the dipsticks are not always accurate. You need 4 +1 = 5 quarts just as you stated. Drain it well, leave it drip overnight and refill with 5 quarts. Run your engine and remark your stick with a file if it is found to be off.

I would say 5 quarts as long as you are changing the filter too.

WilliM1940
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Right, what CantRepeat said. Just for references on my '85 my adjusted full file line is 1.5 inches above the stick mark that came with the engine. Yours may vary.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Many years ago it wasn't uncommon for people to change the oil filter every other oil change. To convince yourself to use a new filter every time, pour some of the drain oil into a clear glass container and take a good look. If that doesn't do it, take 8 ounces of the drain oil (1/4th of a quart) and add it to one quart of new oil in a clear glass container and see what it looks like. This will give you the same proportion of used to new oil your engine will be running.

kevkan
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
I had the same experience wtih my '85, with Powerslot, as Will. 5 quarts, new filter, put it at about 1.5" over full. I never did understand why they didn't adjust the dipstick for the slope of the engine in that setup.

It will also matter if the boat is sitting level or not. I think it is way easier, and a better practice, to just change the filter each time, and put 5 full quarts in. Eliminates the guess work.