PDA

View Full Version : boat clicks wont turn over

jdeml
07-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok ok ok Need some sound advice. While trying to get boat back at launch after breaking off a prop blade I tried to start the boat. With just the sound of guages powering up and then I turned to crank and it clicks once. Just like a dead battery. Well put the jump starter on and nada. I run 3 batteries. One for starting and 2 for stereo. They are all 3 or so monthes old after replacing them due to theft. Anyways I switch to all and nada. Just a click. I check my battery volts and all are sitting at 12.7 so I knew they have good power. Question that i have is is it the starter or is there a relay or is it due to some ignition wiring or what? Just wanted to ask yall before I pull it and have it rebuilt. This year has been one thing after another. Thanks

jamison423
07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I know this sounds basic, but are you sure the kill switch didn't come unplugged? Seen it before...

flya750
07-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Give a light tap on the relay.. see if it turns over... sounds like a stuck relay to me...

Ok ok ok Need some sound advice. While trying to get boat back at launch after breaking off a prop blade I tried to start the boat. With just the sound of guages powering up and then I turned to crank and it clicks once. Just like a dead battery. Well put the jump starter on and nada. I run 3 batteries. One for starting and 2 for stereo. They are all 3 or so monthes old after replacing them due to theft. Anyways I switch to all and nada. Just a click. I check my battery volts and all are sitting at 12.7 so I knew they have good power. Question that i have is is it the starter or is there a relay or is it due to some ignition wiring or what? Just wanted to ask yall before I pull it and have it rebuilt. This year has been one thing after another. Thanks

jvbaca
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
dumb question, are you sure it's in neutral? (I've done this before.....):o

SPSinclair 190
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Check ALL grounds !!

jdeml
07-10-2011, 11:14 PM
grounds are all good. kill switch is good.

Lars
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Check your voltage at the alternator, see if you're getting full voltage there while cranking.

Jerseydave
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Some things to check:

Is the engine seized? Will it rotate by hand?
Are all the battery cables clean and tight, including the ground cable at the engine block?
Does the starter just click once each time you turn the key?
Starter could be bad....you could try lightly tapping on the starter while someone turns the key.

If no luck with above, remove the starter and have it tested.

jdeml
07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Some things to check:

Is the engine seized? Will it rotate by hand?
Are all the battery cables clean and tight, including the ground cable at the engine block?
Does the starter just click once each time you turn the key?
Starter could be bad....you could try lightly tapping on the starter while someone turns the key.

If no luck with above, remove the starter and have it tested.

battery cables all new and tight, engine is not seized. When turning key it clicks once somewhere around starter, just once (click) and then nothing. I ve checked volts all over. at starter and relay and batteries, everywhere. all around 12.6-12.7 . could this be a relay or circuit breaker gone bad somewhere?

chub35
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
ok, you got a click, at the starter I am presuming, this is most likley the selenoid on the starter trying to engage, this selenoid also pulls in a very high current relay contact to supply power to the starter motor, as there is huge current there and a small relay will not take the load. So, sometimes the selenoid jams, from rust or crap inside, when this happens you may here the click but if the selenoid does not completely engage then the high current contact will not make thus no power to motor. A few things to look for, make absolutley sure that the engine is grounded, to ensure of this take a booster cable and run from negative on battery to engine block then try starting. Try to jump positive battery to the selenoid (this will be the smaller wire on the selenoid) this will activate the selnoid and bypass all low voltage wiring, like neutral safety switch and other interlocks to ignition, if you get the beast to turn over at least you know starter is fine then you start to look for starting circuit problems like ignition switch, relays, neutral safety switch, landyard and I am sure a few others, and good luck.

Just keep in mind starter motors are very basic and easy to trouble shoot, takes only a few minutes to confirm bad motor or selenoid, the starting circuit can be more challenging, a circuit diagram and a jumper with aligater clamps on the ends works wonders. Good luck!

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Your starter is 2 bolts plus wires. Pull it and get it tested. Mine did the samething and it was a bad solenoid.

jdeml
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
ok, you got a click, at the starter I am presuming, this is most likley the selenoid on the starter trying to engage, this selenoid also pulls in a very high current relay contact to supply power to the starter motor, as there is huge current there and a small relay will not take the load. So, sometimes the selenoid jams, from rust or crap inside, when this happens you may here the click but if the selenoid does not completely engage then the high current contact will not make thus no power to motor. A few things to look for, make absolutley sure that the engine is grounded, to ensure of this take a booster cable and run from negative on battery to engine block then try starting. Try to jump positive battery to the selenoid (this will be the smaller wire on the selenoid) this will activate the selnoid and bypass all low voltage wiring, like neutral safety switch and other interlocks to ignition, if you get the beast to turn over at least you know starter is fine then you start to look for starting circuit problems like ignition switch, relays, neutral safety switch, landyard and I am sure a few others, and good luck.

Just keep in mind starter motors are very basic and easy to trouble shoot, takes only a few minutes to confirm bad motor or selenoid, the starting circuit can be more challenging, a circuit diagram and a jumper with aligater clamps on the ends works wonders. Good luck!

Thanks! thats what I was thinking about doing last night but it got dark and I got tired. Will try tonight and let you all know.

02ProstarSammyD
07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Your starter is 2 bolts plus wires. Pull it and get it tested. Mine did the samething and it was a bad solenoid.

And wait for wallys at advanced auto to argue with you for 20 min that they can't test it without knowing what kind of car it came out of. Sounds like a starter to me. I'd pull it and have it tested pending its not in a pita position like mine is.

jdeml
07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I pulled it and took it to a starter shop where he said it was the solenoid. So I went ahead and gave the ok to rebuild it for 96 bucks.

jdeml
07-13-2011, 04:10 PM
I pulled it and took it to a starter shop where he said it was the solenoid. So I went ahead and gave the ok to rebuild it for 96 bucks.

Installed it back in and PRESTO vroom vroom, Now on to the search for a Prop!!! Still looking for a good one for 04 xstar!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Installed it back in and PRESTO vroom vroom, Now on to the search for a Prop!!! Still looking for a good one for 04 xstar!

Success!:toast:

krra1
07-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Had the same issue over Memorial Day weekend. Was able to find a replacement and changed it myself the next day. Never done any engine work before but it was pretty simple. The thing just latches onto the starter. Just remember to disconnect your battery before getting started.

Glad it worked out for such a low cost. Live and learn with every problem you have with your boat.

Jerseydave
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM

14.25 X 14.5 for heavy ballast (not much top speed with this prop)
14.75 X 15.5 for medium ballast (2000# is what a run) good cruising and top speed. This is my favorite all-around prop for what we do. I have an '05 X-star/MCX.
Do you have the MCX?