PDA

View Full Version : Ramp must be an idiot magnet

oldairboater
07-10-2011, 09:41 AM
This was a new one to me. Two jets skis sitting in the ramp with their riders sitting in the water next to them---chillin. I have seen boats linger at the ramp for a thousand different reason but the jets skis just chillin is a new one. If they had only sat in the water for a few minutes I would have figure they was adding yellow to the river. They were there for the five minutes it takes me to drive the boat on the trailer and the twenty minutes it takes for me to store everything while parked at the parking area. One Boston whaler dragging their tube and doing half mile loops past the same boat ramp. I just shook my head and loaded in the next ramp. Thank God for years of practice because there is always an idiot challenge there. Had a great day on the river but always the ramp challenge,lol. I actually think I look forward to the newest ramp adventure. Which should be later this evening.

ctjahn
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
No doubt.

While waiting to get out last night, I watched 5 people in a row (in front of me) pull up to the ramp, then take the supplies from the truck, put them in the boat, get the boat ready, move the life jackets to the boat, struggle starting the boat, mass confusion and each one took at least 20 minutes - 30 minutes to launch.

I expect that you would be ready to go drop the boat and out in 5 minutes. (or am I asking too much?) Seems quite simple to me. Took us 2 minutes to drop it and 5 minutes to take it out... (had to strap it up)...

cj

east tx skier
07-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Once the fourth of July weekend has passed, the lake traffic around here eases until Labor Day. I couldn't be happier about that fact.

FrankSchwab
07-10-2011, 01:16 PM
If we have to stand in line for the launch ramp, the boat is in the water and the truck is pulling out about 30 seconds after a slot opens up. Ya got nuthin better to do, you might as well get everything and everyone ready.

If we don't have to stand in line, it's closer to 5 minutes. Send the kids to the bathroom, move the coolers, undo the straps, get everyone in, etc.

Getting out is even faster. I back up the trailer, the wife puts it on, I hook up the winch and tighten'er up, and we pull away to the parking lot to undo the carnage. No sense in taking up a slot at the ramp to do everything else. Of course, it helps that Saguaro Lake has a very nice parking lot a minute away from the ramp that's 500 feet above and overlooks the lake. A remarkably nice place to wipe down, watch the lightning, and unwind. And, it's normally empty except perhaps for the occasional parked car with two people inside "watching the lake".

/frank

east tx skier
07-10-2011, 01:21 PM
We routinely have morons who pull up about 10 yards out of the water and proceed to unload and wipe down. My wife has threaded the needle with our trailer around them on one occasion to make a point. But the just sat there and nervously drooled and scratched their heads. I'm reminded that you can't fix stupid.

Grover777
07-10-2011, 07:06 PM
i concur.....load the boat at home or in the parking lot.....dunk the trailer and go.....my blood pressure usually rises at the ramp due to other folks putting all the crap in the boat while hogging both lanes of a 2 hole ramp....

im all worked up just typing about it....need a drink...

madman
07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
I agree with all of the above....I need a drink after reading this

CantRepeat
07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
The one the makes me the most angry is the guy that stops 10 feet out of the water when there is 1/2 mile of parking lot and don't back down the ramp until you are ready to launch!!

And, teach your wife to drive the damn truck or the boat, either one I don't care which!

Jerseydave
07-10-2011, 09:53 PM
We switched to a ramp 5 miles south (down river) from our old ramp because it was too crowded on weekends with idiots. That and the ramp at dead low tide is unusable with a severe drop-off.....like the kind that will brake your trailer axle.

My point is sometimes you're better off driving a little extra to find a ramp that is less busy.

(Someday the boat will be at my dock behind my future lakefront home) :D

FrankSchwab
07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
And, teach your wife to drive the damn truck or the boat, either one I don't care which!

I can't agree with you more. It took me a while to learn to stand quietly next to the truck waiting for my wife to pull the boat on the trailer, and not try to "help" her with hand signals or voice, but once I learned she got a lot better.

silverblueBP
07-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Even less busy ramps attract bozos. Where we ski, the ramp is the least used, but is the easiest to load & unload. 95% of the time, there is no one else there. I usually still pull the boat out and away after loading before wiping down etc...

Yesterday after 9 hours in the hot Kansas sun, we pull the boat out and move up the ramp about 50 yards into the only spot of shade. We get out, start wiping down and I look up to see a truck and boat wanting to use the ramp. There was still plenty of room to go by, turn around and back it in, but the confused face I saw on the driver prompted me to get in the truck and move back out into the blazing sun to finish up.

The jack wagon spends 3 minutes trying to figure out how to turn around and back the boat down the ramp. He finally gives up and drives past me about 30 yards and parks. Never gets out, never moves. It's a wonder people like that even own a boat.

ahhudgins
07-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Our marina has one ramp and there is a "No Parking" sign at the top of the ramp. People still park right IN FRONT OF THE SIGN and load or unload their crap for 15 minutes. I guess they feel that they aren't "parking", they are "unloading".

TOO-TALL
07-11-2011, 12:55 AM
i concur.....load the boat at home or in the parking lot.....dunk the trailer and go.....my blood pressure usually rises at the ramp due to other folks putting all the crap in the boat while hogging both lanes of a 2 hole ramp....

im all worked up just typing about it....need a drink...

I feel the same way

Panda Cub
07-11-2011, 01:40 AM
personally i get out of the truck or boat and tell them to get the f out of the way. i have no patience for idiots.

Thrall
07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
On the flip side, 4th of July weekend while there was a line to put the boats in, I hop out and undo straps, put the boards up, get the kids in the boat etc. WIfe walks up and gets our day pass so we don't have to stop for that while the rest of the 'tards sit in their trucks, then stop one more time to get the day pass.
Only other guy getting his boat prepped while waiting in line was the guy behind me. Guess what he had? An early 90's Maristar!:D

oldairboater
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Sometimes I get a little perturbed but seldom do I get really angry. Just a waste of my time plus this is live entertainment. I actually had someone stop me after parking my truck as I was walking to the dock to board our boat that was out of the way on the off side of the dock away from the next person launching their boat. He asked me how we launched so fast, so smoothly. I told him that the boat was loaded. I back up to the water. Remove the safety chain off of the boat. Back up--boat floats off of the trailer. Girlfriend has bow line that is just slipped through the bow eye. She just walks the boat around the end of the dock. I go park. We are out of the way and ready to go. I get in. Start the boat. She retrieves the line by just slipping the rope since it is not tied and steps in. We are out of there.

93Prostar190
07-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I just love at the end of our day at the river ..... wife drops me at the dock (unless we need to use the courtesy dock if we had alot of guests.) ... I get the truck, back in the trailer .... she pulls on .... I hear the click ..... she turns off the engine and we pull out to the area in the parking lot for wiping down etc ..... in 3 minutes tops (only cause it take me a minute to walk to the truck.) .... I just love when some other boater looks puzzled at the boat buddy and how easy it can be .... I must admit most of the bass boat guys are just as good ..... it is the recreational guys that take way too long.

Who is making our drinks?

sully
07-13-2011, 12:04 AM
At our launch there is a sign that says "Do not lauch if trailer parking is full". So when we came back early from boating/skiing last saturday there is no slips available because the slips are full with all these families just sitting in their boats. So my wife drops me off and I proceed to the truck when I notice all these truck with empty boat trailers sitting idling all over parking lot. So these guys all launched their boats and parked them in the launch slips and were waiting for folks to come off the water. The problem they caused was now the folks who want to come off the water have no place to park their boats at the slips when they go get their truck and trailer because of the folks who shouldn't have launched in the first place. It was a real gluster f$$k.

Kyle
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Go to lake worth and launch under 820 bridge. There are about 20 illegals (south of USA border) playing take turns riding their jet ski. I truly believe it took all 20 of them to buy it. So I guess they are all owners. They are always in the way and I an always afraid one of them will scratch my boat with that pos ski. Then fight the 5 (WT) trying to fish off of the dock.

It gets scary fast. Then once you get away from the ramp it is very peaceful

HMF007
07-13-2011, 10:46 AM
The boat ramp is probably one of my favorite places to drink a few beers and hand with the dog. The ramp here in lakeway is about 50 yards long one lane with cliffs on both sides. It is very steep. By the end of the summer it will be another 30 yards long. Perfect receipe for people watching with a case of beer and the dog.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-13-2011, 10:53 AM
The boat ramp is probably one of my favorite places to drink a few beers and hand with the dog. The ramp here in lakeway is about 50 yards long one lane with cliffs on both sides. It is very steep. By the end of the summer it will be another 30 yards long. Perfect receipe for people watching with a case of beer and the dog.

Bring your camera next time.

TxsRiverRat
07-13-2011, 11:37 AM
You want entertainment? Head out to Texoma and have a few cold ones out on the deck @ Highport Marina right by the ramp and watch the idiot parade... Don’t even take your boat, just go watch, I was LMFAO more than a few times.

When I used to see idiots loading gear @ public ramps, I literally backed in around them anytime I could to prove a point... My ex did not like that at all. LOL

One thing I am happy about is that I do not have to share a boat ramp with idiots anymore.

MC

PS: Frank @ Saguaro Lake: I thought all of the AZ lakes had “make ready” lanes at it??

shepherd
07-13-2011, 01:15 PM
My wife has threaded the needle with our trailer around them on one occasion to make a point.

Threaded the needle? Wife of the Year! :D

TxsRiverRat
07-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Threaded the needle? Wife of the Year! :D

Totally agree... We did it once on the Brazos already this summer...

Poulin
07-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Once the fourth of July weekend has passed, the lake traffic around here eases until Labor Day. I couldn't be happier about that fact.

We call those two weekends "Amature night"

ntidsl
07-14-2011, 08:12 AM
My wife gives the water patrol the evil eye for taking so long on the ramp...and they are scared!

O2BESOHUGE
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
i have one better than that...30+ folks in line to get boats out at the ramp after 9:30 when fireworks were finished. this drunk jack knifes his truck and trailer sideways on the 2 lane ramp and gets his truck rear wheels off the concrete ramp and gets stuck!!

talk about wanting to kill someone!

oldairboater
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Game wardens were slow in the ramp couple of weeks ago. Dudes looked like amateurs. They probably grew up in the desert of west Texas. We also have an auxiliary group that patrols the river. Seen two very old gentlemen in that boat but I think it is cool that they are out and on the water.My wife gives the water patrol the evil eye for taking so long on the ramp...and they are scared!

sp00ky
07-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Yep its usually much better to trust her instincts rather than micro manage. It seems to work directing kids too