PDA

View Full Version : Towable Cover for 205V X-Star w/ Zero Flex Flyer

G-Star
07-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Team,

I'll preface this post by saying I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the "towable" cover idea, but I can't think of a better way to keep the inside of my boat clean and dry when I have to tow 650km in bad weather at highway speeds. I'm interested in any experiences you guys have had with towable covers.

Now then, I've been trying to track down a towable cover for my '02 X-Star, and I'm having some trouble... It would appear that the well-known manufacturers of quality towable covers don't have a pattern for the 205V hull with a zero flex flyer tower.

I'm wondering if there is anybody in the Seattle, WA area with the same hull/tower as me that is also looking for a towable cover? If so, would you be willing to have your boat be the victim of some measuring and test fitting so a cover pattern can be developed?

Alternatively, has anybody had luck sourcing a towable cover for this hull/tower from elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for your input.

east tx skier
07-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Given the location mentioned, I'll assume you're talking to Brent at Coversports. You won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Brian B
07-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Subscribed!

I just pulled my boat open for 1200 miles through dirt roads, rainstorms on highways, and an enormous dust storm in AZ. I cant do it anymore. The cleanup job was 6 hours and it will never be the same.......

You know those heat shrink covers that manufacturers use from the factory to dealers? Can we buy those?

10ptmust
07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
You know those heat shrink covers that manufacturers use from the factory to dealers? Can we buy those?

Yes, I know that a few of the marine shops around here do it as part of the winerization, or as a sand alone service.

G-Star
07-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Given the location mentioned, I'll assume you're talking to Brent at Coversports. You won't be disappointed if that's the case.

Thanks. In that case, I look forward to not being disappointed. :D

I'm still a little worried about the cover rubbing the gel at highway speeds and causing damage, either minor or serious. How many miles do you have on yours at highway speeds?

G-Star
07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Subscribed!

I just pulled my boat open for 1200 miles through dirt roads, rainstorms on highways, and an enormous dust storm in AZ. I cant do it anymore. The cleanup job was 6 hours and it will never be the same.......

I'm with ya. I towed from California to BC in a pretty bad rain storm last September when I picked up my boat. I spent the next day cleaning the road grime, and vacuuming the water out of the interior.

I like the heat shrink idea... but I'd guess the cost is $100+ each time. You don't have to go through many covers before you're at the price of a Pro Cover or Evolution Cover.

east tx skier
07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks. In that case, I look forward to not being disappointed. :D

I'm still a little worried about the cover rubbing the gel at highway speeds and causing damage, either minor or serious. How many miles do you have on yours at highway speeds?

My policy is to not tow on the highway unless weather dictates otherwise. Last weekend, weather dictated that I tow through a virtual monsoon. Boat and cover were bone dry (had about 30 minutes of no rain to dry at the end of the trip) and no rubbing on the boat. These covers are made for towing. The only reason I don't cover when the weather is nice is for the cover, not the boat.

G-Star
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
My policy is to not tow on the highway unless weather dictates otherwise. Last weekend, weather dictated that I tow through a virtual monsoon. Boat and cover were bone dry (had about 30 minutes of no rain to dry at the end of the trip) and no rubbing on the boat. These covers are made for towing. The only reason I don't cover when the weather is nice is for the cover, not the boat.

Good to hear. Like you, I wasn't planning on using the cover unless forced to by bad weather.

Now I just need to find somebody with the same boat who is closer to Seattle! Anyone? ... Anyone? ... Bueller?

G-Star
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Shameless bump.

There's gotta be somebody in the Seattle area with an X-Star/X-2/X-1/205V looking for a towable cover... right?

G-Star
07-19-2011, 11:01 AM
One more bump before I give up...

east tx skier
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Have you talked to Brent about taking measurements and having it adjusted locally if the fit isn't perfect? The guy that runs PlanetNautique.com just did that with his new boat, for which Brent did not have the pattern and said that it fit perfectly right out of the box.

G-Star
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I haven't. In fact, I wasn't really aware this was an option. I will certainly talk to him about this. To this point, we've just been exchanging emails.

One other thing came to mind as well... Are there any differences between a 205DD and 205V hull that would change the way a cover fits? If not, I'll see if he has a pattern for the 205DD.

Ben
07-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Not to sway you away, but a lot of people are happy with the skiboatcovers.com guy. See other boat cover threads. I'm sure he has one for your boat. Given issues I have with my new cover, I certainly regret not using him..

G-Star
07-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Not to sway you away, but a lot of people are happy with the skiboatcovers.com guy. See other boat cover threads. I'm sure he has one for your boat. Given issues I have with my new cover, I certainly regret not using him..

I'm looking for a towable cover... as far as I know there are only 2 manufacturers that make a truly "towable" cover, and skiboatcovers.com isn't one of them.

Smoothie
07-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Maybe I am dumb but whats the difference between a towable cover and a non towable cover. If you cant tow with it whats the point in owning it.

blount59
07-19-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm looking for a towable cover... as far as I know there are only 2 manufacturers that make a truly "towable" cover, and skiboatcovers.com isn't one of them.

Sorry i am a little behind, but what are the two manufacturers.

G-Star
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Sorry i am a little behind, but what are the two manufacturers.

Evolution Covers (www.evolutioncovers.com) and The Pro Cover (http://www.theprocover.com/).

G-Star
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Maybe I am dumb but whats the difference between a towable cover and a non towable cover. If you cant tow with it whats the point in owning it.

A towable cover fits drum tight and doesn't flap/rub against the gel while trailering, even at highway speeds.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_1gl9obJSimU/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/qJLiJ-DShYk/s912/IMAG0050.jpg
Photo credit to east tx skier

Shooter McKevin
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey G-Star,

I feel your pain. I spent a long time trying to find a cover for my 2000 PS190. I emailed a lot of companies and went to a bunch of local shops. My 2 prime purposes for a good cover are for mooring and towing, so anything with trailer straps is kind of pointless for me. After Evolution and Cover Sports said they didn't have a pattern for my boat I sent out the same plea on team talk that you did (with no response). Finally, this spring Eastie started a thread about Cover Sports having a web site. When I checked it out, I noticed that they have a pattern for 98-99 PS190. They didn't know that the 2000 is the same. I confirmed with MasterCraft that there are no differences from 99-2000 that would effect the cover and there aren't.

I placed my order on March 26 and my cover arrived........ yesterday!!! (yes 4 months later).

It's a long story that I'm trying to decide if I should post in the Cover Sports thread or not. I will post some pic's there for sure once I put it on. I'm recovering from gall bladder surgery at the moment so I haven't been able to put it on yet. I will lose my mind if it doesn't fit. I'm pretty sure it will because I had it on once before to fit the tower legs and it looked perfect at that stage.

If no one near Seattle will be a template for you, I think it is worth figuring out if the '99 DD205 is pretty close to your boat and working at it from there. It sucks that you are not in the US because I think the biggest hurdle they had with me was out of Country shipping. I assume they learned a few things now though (like you can't ship something across the boarder without an invoice).

Let me know if you have any questions.

east tx skier
07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I haven't. In fact, I wasn't really aware this was an option. I will certainly talk to him about this. To this point, we've just been exchanging emails.

One other thing came to mind as well... Are there any differences between a 205DD and 205V hull that would change the way a cover fits? If not, I'll see if he has a pattern for the 205DD.

The fact that Brent is email is a big step forward since I bought my cover. ;)

I wouldn't presume that they are the same above the water line. Measuring for him is probably a better option. Talk to Jeff over at PN and get his impression about having one made based on measurements.

lintwurm
08-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking for the same towable cover but for a 2000 Xstar.

soho_mc
08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
We bought an X1 cover from the local MC dealer for our '03 205v and have used it for 2 seasons now with no signs of gelcoat wear.