PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

wakebdr2002
07-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and thought I might be able to get some technical advice here. I have purchased an '01 X-star earlier this year and it is giving me problems starting after it has been sitting for a few days. It has the 330 HP EFI upgraded engine. If the boat hasnt been used for 2 or more days it will not want to start. I have to crank it for a long time (usually 15 secs at a time with a few mins for the starter to cool) doing this for a while (half hour or more) it will eventually start. Once it starts it will run perfectly all day and start right up everytime. While we were trying to fix the problem we pulled a spark plug and tested it and noticed that it is not getting spark, but it is getting fuel. When cranking it with the spark plug out, it had no spark, but after a few minutes of cranking we saw spark and the engine fired right up. We checked for loose wiring and couldnt find anything. I am thinking it might be a problem with the engine's computer but I have no idea how to check that. If anyone has seen this problem or has any ideas of what the problem is I would greatly appreciate the help.

JEREMY79
07-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Wow dude that sucks. While I cannot help you, I can bump your post back to the top.

bradamerry
07-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow dude that sucks. While I cannot help you, I can bump your post back to the top.
79, what you meant was add to your post count!!!

Engine Nut
07-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this board and thought I might be able to get some technical advice here. I have purchased an '01 X-star earlier this year and it is giving me problems starting after it has been sitting for a few days. It has the 330 HP EFI upgraded engine. If the boat hasnt been used for 2 or more days it will not want to start. I have to crank it for a long time (usually 15 secs at a time with a few mins for the starter to cool) doing this for a while (half hour or more) it will eventually start. Once it starts it will run perfectly all day and start right up everytime. While we were trying to fix the problem we pulled a spark plug and tested it and noticed that it is not getting spark, but it is getting fuel. When cranking it with the spark plug out, it had no spark, but after a few minutes of cranking we saw spark and the engine fired right up. We checked for loose wiring and couldnt find anything. I am thinking it might be a problem with the engine's computer but I have no idea how to check that. If anyone has seen this problem or has any ideas of what the problem is I would greatly appreciate the help.

I would check the output of the crank position sensors located at the front of the engine. At cranking speed, they should have an output of .8 to 1.4 volts each. If they are not producing a strong enough signal, the ignition module may not be able to fire the coils. If the voltage is low, you might try loosening the bolts that attach the bracket to the engine and try to work the sensors a little closer to the trigger wheel.

Engine Nut

rodltg2
07-29-2005, 10:25 PM
wow, i wish you lived by me. that advice way beyond me.

mcprostar197
07-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Do you give it gas and try to rev the engine when you are starting it after a couple days? Not that you should have to do it with a decently new boat, but I used to have to do that with our 2002 Glastron when we had it and didnt use it for a couple days.

east tx skier
07-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Perhaps a bit overly simplistic, but did you throw in a new plug when the one you tested didn't initially get a spark? From your post, I couldn't tell.

If it's getting fuel and air, then fire is the problem. How are the plugs and plug wires. How are the connections on the wires.

/it's not that I didn't read engine nut's post, I just didn't understand it. ;)

6ballsisall
07-30-2005, 10:45 AM
79, what you meant was add to your post count!!!

yeah brad, you getting worried he's gonna catch you?? 8p :D

JEREMY79
07-30-2005, 10:46 AM
yeah brad, you getting worried he's gonna catch you?? 8p :D

Jeff you done passed me, there bud

No I really wanted the help the guy out. Bump his post up.

André
07-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I think the cranking sensors give the signal that the starter is turning the engine and that the ignition module should give fire then...ICBW!!!

wakebdr2002
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Engine nut that sounds like it could be the problem - i am going to check it first thing tomorrow.

wakebdr2002
08-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Engine Nut, thanks for the great advice. I went and tried to put the crankshaft position sensor closer to the slotted wheel. I also checked the harness going to the 2 position sensors. The engine fired right up after doing this.

JimN
08-01-2005, 09:17 PM
The crank sensors are located near the crankshaft pulley. The crank also has a wheel attached and it has what amount to slots at specific intervals. The reason this crank wheel isn't reversible is that the ECM needs to see it going forward in order to fire the coils and to know which cylinder is near the timing mark. The coils(crank sensor) have a bias voltage sent to them and when the high and low spots of the wheel pass, a voltage spike occurs. The sequence of spikes tells the ECM where the crank is and the magnetic field from the coils weakens with distance, so the sensors won't pickup enough signal if they're too far from the crank wheel.

For those of you who play guitar, the same thing happens when the strings are too far away from the pickup(s)- the signal gets really weak and if the distance is too great, you get bupkis.