PDA

View Full Version : Boat is over heating and alarm is going off

Tcragun
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
My 02 xstar is over heating and an alarm is going off. At the lake and not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice.

TLR67
07-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Check the Impeller.... Or look for debris sucked up in the intake...

GT500 MC
07-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Second vote for impeller.

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
3rd. Remnds me, I need to put a spare in my on board kit, thanks.

03geetee
07-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Also check Raw water intake and transmission cooler depending on how your hose is routed, if all else fails your impellar is next in line as others have said.

Good luck.

JTR

bigmac
07-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Don't start with the impeller. That would be hard. Instead, first pull the raw water pump output hose from the intake side of the oil cooler. It will take you about 3 minutes with a screwdriver, check for weeds or debris caught in the strainer there. If there are no weeds, or if there are rubber pieces, then pull the impeller. If the impeller is OK, put it back (or put in a new one) and change your thermostat.

rhsprostar
07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Don't start with the impeller. That would be hard. Instead, first pull the raw water pump output hose from the intake side of the oil cooler. It will take you about 3 minutes with a screwdriver, check for weeds or debris caught in the strainer there. If there are no weeds, or if there are rubber pieces, then pull the impeller. If the impeller is OK, put it back (or put in a new one) and change your thermostat.

Do what Bigmac said, he's got it....;)

ntidsl
07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
I'd say instead, know what would cause your boat to over heat before going out in boat. Sorry but that's just crazy to take yourself and or loved ones out on the water without knowing such a thing.

xbot50000
07-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd say instead, know what would cause your boat to over heat before going out in boat. Sorry but that's just crazy to take yourself and or loved ones out on the water without knowing such a thing.

How is this comment helpful? I'm trying to connect how not knowing how a boat over heats endangers ones family.

ntidsl
07-12-2011, 06:54 AM
We have very large barges that will run you over and spit you out without even knowing they hit something...thats how...

xbot50000
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
... and knowing a Mstercraft can over heat if there is a blockage of raw water protects you from these large barges? It just sounds extreme to suggest the guy was putting his family in danger because he couldn't diagnose a simple alarm. I don't know...

ntidsl
07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
you mean getting your iphone out when you are dead in the water and asking where to start looking cause you boat over heated is the best strategy? my point is this...anyone going out in a boat should know where to look if you alarms go off...not expect someone to teach them how to clean their tranny cooler screen over a forum while he's dead in the water...he should know to start there, look for pieces of impellar, if there is just debris, clean it and see what happens...if there is rubber...chances are he didnt have a spare impellar or even tools to open the impeller housing...and he's screwed anyway...

there are basics you should know before boating...

bigmac
07-12-2011, 02:57 PM
While it's true that hitting the big water and traveling miles from shore would suggest that some knowledge of boat function is prudent, boating in most recreational settings isn't rocket science. Your basic family-out-on-the-lake is going to be plenty safe in the hands of someone who isn't a boat mechanic.

ntidsl
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
true...bet it ruined a bunch of peoples day though...sorry, boat is over heated and i dont know what to do and dont have the parts...lets pack it up...

xbot50000
07-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I do agree with you that it is extremely important to know the basic fundamentals of how a boat engine operates. Especially if you intend to travel far away from home.

kskonn
07-12-2011, 03:59 PM
I am not taking sides here... but I know when I bought my boat they had a mechanic run me through the basics on how the engine worked, was constructed etc... They showed me how to switch out an impeller and a prop, and walked me through the alarms. At the time I just wanted to get out on the water but it has proved to be valuable info. I have never been an engine guy but the little bit of info they gave me has saved a few days on the lake and probably hundreds of dollars calling to get a tow back to shore.

02ProstarSammyD
07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
you mean getting your iphone out when you are dead in the water and asking where to start looking cause you boat over heated is the best strategy? my point is this...anyone going out in a boat should know where to look if you alarms go off...not expect someone to teach them how to clean their tranny cooler screen over a forum while he's dead in the water...he should know to start there, look for pieces of impellar, if there is just debris, clean it and see what happens...if there is rubber...chances are he didnt have a spare impellar or even tools to open the impeller housing...and he's screwed anyway...

there are basics you should know before boating...

Urine in your cheerios by chance? The guy doesn't know. Its not like he isn't trying to learn for next time. Sorry dude but pretty lame to come bust the guys chops for not knowing what would cause it or being able to fix it on the water. How about help him out instead. Crappy attitude imho and even worse gives a crap name to this site.

ntidsl
07-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I hate cheerios...I was only replying days later as I don't visit the site every hour. There was no way to help him as I surely hope he got it fixed from others help that day while he was stuck on the water...I guess I'm extreme for the thoughts and I apologize. I wouldn't drive a car on a freeway without knowing how to change a tire or without a spare tire. I wouldn't drive a boat without knowing what would cause it to over heat and without an extra impeller, water pump belt, battery jumper box, etc...I'm a nut case I guess.

bigmac
07-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Yes. That's pretty extreme.

You realize that many people boat on inland lakes where they don't have to dodge barges? The OP might be one of them? He might be boating on a nice little lake and never have to be out of sight of his house? That carrying a boatload of tools and spare parts might be silly for many people who own boats?

ntidsl
07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Well I hope he got it...we'll never know...3 posts by him...all thread starters, all 3 questions, all got answered, no thanks, no further comment...

Just got my first boat cannot figure out ballast
Just got my first boat what is the best way to set up surf wake
Just got my first boat, its over heating, help

I see the next one...Swamped my boat, too much ballast, can i rebuilt it after it sunk...

Okay, sorry...I apologize...Really...just having fun at this point...

Good luck bud...have fun...but read this forum as much as possible and try to say thanks to the others who have helped you...not me...I'm a jerk the past few days...you read this forum every few days you will know how to do things like change out a fuel pump on the water, honestly...good luck

bigmac
07-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Well I hope he got it...we'll never know...3 posts by him...all thread starters, all 3 questions, all got answered, no thanks, no further comment...

Just got my first boat cannot figure out ballast
Just got my first boat what is the best way to set up surf wake
Just got my first boat, its over heating, help

I see the next one...Swamped my boat, too much ballast, can i rebuilt it after it sunk...

Okay, sorry...I apologize...Really...just having fun at this point...

Good luck bud...have fun...but read this forum as much as possible and try to say thanks to the others who have helped you...not me...I'm a jerk the past few days...you read this forum every few days you will know how to do things like change out a fuel pump on the water, honestly...good luck

I'm not sure what you're expecting from him, up there on your lofty perch of boating expertise. He bought a boat. He has questions about how his boat works. He comes to an internet boating forum and asks questions. What are you suggesting? What do you think he should do to become the expert he apparently needs to be before risking his family's life out there on the big water of his 1500 acre lake?

ntidsl
07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
no, I'm saying that I'm being extreme and I apologize...for real...

and that this forum is full of great people who will help...

and that I'm a jerk the last few day...

being sincere...

bigmac
07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
no, I'm saying that I'm being extreme and I apologize...for real...

and that this forum is full of great people who will help...

and that I'm a jerk the last few day...

being sincere...

When I go out on the big water, though...I want you and your boat in our party. In case I need to replace a piston or something...:D

02ProstarSammyD
07-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Everyone gets a pissy day. I just think its far better to not say anything at all if its not helpful. I just bought my first boat a lil bit ago and I've posted some dumb questions. I could change the transfer case out in my jeep on a trail with minimum tools with the swiftness. My boat was choking for fuel and I analyzed as much as I could but the nature of the beast is that boats are not standard compared to basic automotive knowledge. If everyone knew everything about their boats all that would remain on this site would be bikini threads and sac talk.

But yea I understand what you are saying and theres some truth to it but unfortunately you have to learn somewhere and most of the times it is by trial and error with these things.

TLR67
07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Everyone gets a pissy day. .

Or week!!! :D

ntidsl
07-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I cannot tell you how many people I have saved on the water with very limitted mechanicaly knowledge. I've been thru 3 or 4 impellers the past few years( none on my boat) cleaned tranny screens, used an old ski rope to pull start a pontoon boat when their started stripped out, towed 5 or 6 boats back to ramps, saw a stranded boat in the middle with barge coming, radio'd the barge and told him the boat was dead and asked him to hold off a second, got a can of gas from my barn, road it out to him with my 5 year old (at the time) helping, etc...yes I even carry a marine band on the boat and monitor it. the battery pack also comes in handy once a month.

I think all the boats I have towed were pontoon boat with 10-11 people, 30 teeth between all of them and on holiday weekends.