PDA

View Full Version : tune up

honez
07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Ok i have an 84 S&S. 351 PCM, Edelbrock 4BBl, Malory electronic distributor. stock coil.

1. motor seems to run fine no stumble or miss.
2. i cant get the idle below 1000 rpm and it waivers about +/-200 rpm.
3. timing is at 22 degrees BTDC.

The manual states 600 rpm and 10 degrees BTDC I dont want to change the settings as it runs fine.

Would the timing go down if i get the idle down?:confused:

OR

if it aint broke dont fix it:D

just wondering.

Thanks

JJ

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-09-2011, 05:27 PM
if you dont want to change anything then the idle wont come down, but if you get the timing down to specs first then the idle will drop

honez
07-10-2011, 08:56 AM
ok i will try that. i just didn't want to adjust the carb mixture settings, as every time i mess with a carb i cant seem to get it back. but if timing does the trick i will try that. i also saw in the PCM manual that for low octane to run at 44 deg timing??? the marks stop at 30??

"Use any good grade automotive regular or premium gasoline with a minimum average octane rating of 88* (93 research) in your PCM engine.
An 86* average octane (90 research) gasoline may be used if the gasoline described above is not available; however, the ignition timing MUST BE retarded 41 to prevent harmful detonation."

thanks

slushpup
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Holy cow!! 10 degrees is where you should be. Check your advance springs in the distributor while you are at it.