PDA

View Full Version : Leaking impeller housing?

agarabaghi
07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
While flushing the engine i found a small drip (continuous but not a stream) which did not get worse with higher rpms. I though it might be the cover of the raw water pump, so i tighten it, but it seems to be coming from the back side where the shaft goes into the housing.

Is there a gasket there that can be changed or is it time to replace the whole part?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4396/imagewxr.jpg

agarabaghi
07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
to the right of the hoses, where the little gap is (shaft spins in there)

youngman
07-09-2011, 06:01 PM
There is a double lipped seal in that area which might need replacing.

bigmac
07-09-2011, 06:56 PM
The seal on the pump housing is leaking. Your choices are to either replace the seal with a repair kit, or replace the pump. Generally, replacing the seal tends to be a rather unsatisfactory adventure as it seems that seating the seal evenly is problematic. A fair percentage of the people I know that have replaced that seal have reassembled the pump only to find it still leaking, or leaking even worse.

If you want to try replacing the seal, you can get the service kit for the F6B-9 pump and have at it.

http://www.jmsonline.net/johnson-service-kit-f-f6b-pump.htm

I guess sometimes the seals go all by themselves, but IMHO a significant culprit is cranking too hard trying to get an impeller out. Torqueing the pump housing off-axis can crush one side of the seal. Pull the impeller straight out.

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM
If i was to replace the raw water pump, do i need to remove the silent master?

bigmac
07-11-2011, 09:16 AM
If i was to replace the raw water pump, do i need to remove the silent master?

If it's in the way, then yes.

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 09:18 AM
It seems to be, but people can remove the impeller without taking it off. I have not replaced my impeller on this boat yet, so I am uncertain.

bigmac
07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
I guess the point is that if you don't know if you can replace the pump without removing the silencer, how would we? It will depend on the configuration of your boat, how big you are, your ability to contort your body, and the specialty tools you have available. On my boat, I'd have to remove the silencer. I know others with X30/230's that don't.

I would suggest that you go climb into the bilge of your boat with a socket set, see if you can remove the L bracket. If you can, see if you can remove the three crank bolts. If you can, reinstall the new pump in reverse order and you're good to go. If you can't, remove the silencer, and start over.

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Assuming this is the direct replacement?

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Johnson+Pump+F6B-9+Cooling+Pump.html

bigmac
07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Assuming this is the direct replacement?

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Johnson+Pump+F6B-9+Cooling+Pump.html

Yup. Johnson F6B-9 is the pump Indmar has been putting on for many years.

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 09:38 AM
how long is the shaft that comes off the crank pulley (?) which the impeller mount sits on top?

Im trying to see how much clearance I need to remove the pump without taking the silent master off.

bigmac
07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
There is no shaft connected to the crank pulley. The flange with the 3 holes in it is bolted to the pulley and that's all there is.

Thrall
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
It's easier to pull the pump off than get the impeller out if the muffler is real close to it (like 1 inch away on my X2).
Pump isn't expensive, but the seal replacement is quite easy, just like replacing the wheel seal on a hub except smaller. I put a new seal on my 190 at about 400hrs (same pump as the newer boats) and it worked fine for 2 more years assume it's still good?

bigmac
07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Here's a schematic of the pump.

www.johnson-pump.com/jpmarine/products/IB_Pdfs/IB-519_FB-9.pdf

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 09:08 AM
hopefully mine is not seized on =P

Wouter
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Had this same problem on a johnson pump. turned out to be the seal at the back of the impeller if I remember right. This was the part for my pump at skidim: SEAL R\W PUMP JOHNSON (item#0603). Just pull impeller and seal and replace the seal and you're good to go.

Thrall
07-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Well, seeing your other post about hitting 1000hrs, think I'd just pony up the $ for a new RW pump. Your boat deserves it!

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Already did. Installing it tonight.

skongolf
07-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Do you have the LTR Motor? Just curious since the LTR seems to take a different pump due to the flange being different. Let me know how the replacement goes as I have to do mine too. Thought about just doing the seal, but the repair seems pretty intense if you dont have the right press.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
mcx sorry.

agarabaghi
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Got the bolt off with ease, but the flange seems seized to the pulley. I lightly banged on it, but it did not loosen.

I currently have sprayed it down with liquid wrench. Any other suggestions? Figured i would leave it over night and try again tomorrow after work.

Thanks!

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
anyone?

I heard pb blaster is a bit better than liquid wrench?

bigmac
07-13-2011, 09:05 AM
If you're going to replace the pump, I'd be using progressively bigger hammers, maybe an air chisel. You could try a little heat from a heat gun if you can do it without putting the belt at risk or starting the boat on fire. The flange and pulley are different metals and will expand at different rates...might break it loose.

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 09:08 AM
So i shouldnt worry about damaging anything while hitting it?

I was gonna take a chisel to the lip on the flange and hammer around it. I was just afraid of damaging something on the pulley / motor.

bigmac
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Sure you should worry about damaging the pulley. Be careful. Start with a dead blow hammer. Save the 3 pound sledge for last. Personally, I'm a big fan of air chisels for breaking that kind of stuff loose...use a blunt-tip bit, maybe with a piece of leather as a pad.

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I just gave it a few love taps with my 3lbs sledge. No budging even from the pulley. Im going to try and get a flat head screw driver in between the flange and hte pulley and have at it. Hopefully the liquid wrench helps as well.

Any experience with liquid wrench of PB blaster?

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Would something like this be ok? Its cheap...

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-150-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-66399.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-impact-hammer-kit-92037.html

bigmac
07-13-2011, 12:45 PM
You need 4 CFM at 90 PSI...that compressor won't do it. Not enough air volume to power the hammer.

agarabaghi
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Yea, i found one that will for $159.

Im going to try with a chisel tip and hammer to knock around those 4 larger holes and see if i can pry it off. If not ill be investing in a hammer / compressor

agarabaghi
07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Is this a big joke? lol... Is there some kind of hidden release button haha... Or a screw im missing?

The water pump will not budge. Ive decided instead of being boat less for my week long vacation starting today, I will just hook up the hoses to the old one, and put the bolts back on. It is still leaking, but when you rev it up the leak stops, and after a surf and wakeboard set with full ballast the temps were 160 - 165 so I will leave this for now... but i am stumped. =(