PDA

View Full Version : PerfectPass the Issue?

01MCX30
07-09-2011, 05:54 AM
I posted recently about my 2001 X30 sputtering out after about 10 minutes on the lake and thinking it might be fuel related. I've checked everything related to fuel and all checks out okay. Someone told me that he had the same issue and it turned out to be the PerfectPass interfering with the throttle. I did some more testing and discovered that the batteries might be shot and that there is not enough voltage for the PerfectPass to even work properly and it just keeps trying to reset itself the entire time I am on the water. The voltage meter is showing between 8 and 10 volts while running but the alternator is putting out nearly 14 volts so my reason for thinking the batteries are shot. Does anyone think this might be the culprit of my loss of reving over 2000 RPMs after about 10 minutes in the water?

Thanks for the help!

Skipper
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Disconnect the PP and try the boat. That will definately isolate the problem at the PP. Never heard of a problem like that caused by PP. Call the tech folks at PP for advice. Also, check the voltage of the batteries themselves.

In my case my boat seems to run ab 10.5 volts until I rev to 3000 rpms or more (like a pull through the course) then something trips and the voltage jumps above 13 volts. It stays that way until I am ready to tighten the line for the next skier. But the PP still functions.

east tx skier
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
What voltage is the PP gauge showing (scroll through the menu to find that). IIRC, anything under 10 volts is going to cause things not to work properly.

Skipper
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Push the up arrow and menu button at the same time. Then use the menu button to scroll down to system information. That will display the voltage along with other information.

WTRSK1R
07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Have you actually checked the voltage at the battery? If the alternator is putting out 14 volts, then I would expect the voltage throughout the system to read 14 volts. The battery is nothing more than a parallel load on the end of the same wire that is connected to the alternator. Unless you are dropping 4 volts in your wiring harness, it should read the same while running and then drop when you shut off the engine if the battery is not holding the charge. Not sure about the newer boats, but when I had my '92 PS205, the power to the instrument cluster came through the deadmans switch near the throttle. Boat ran fine, but the voltmeter on the dash never went above about 11 volts while running. After replacing the kill switch, the meter read correctly. In my case, the voltage at the batter was still about 13.5 when I was reading 11 at the dash. The other tell tale sign was when the bass would beat through the stereo, the voltmeter bounced with the beat of the song because the load of the radio went up and you could see it at the voltmeter. If you had a meter on the battery, it never varied with the music.
I will also second what East Texas Skier said about remembering an issue with PP if the voltage to it drops below 10 volts, but I can not say where I heard or read it. Probably was someone's post on this forum at one point in time.

Good Luck.

east tx skier
07-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Have you actually checked the voltage at the battery? If the alternator is putting out 14 volts, then I would expect the voltage throughout the system to read 14 volts. The battery is nothing more than a parallel load on the end of the same wire that is connected to the alternator. Unless you are dropping 4 volts in your wiring harness, it should read the same while running and then drop when you shut off the engine if the battery is not holding the charge. Not sure about the newer boats, but when I had my '92 PS205, the power to the instrument cluster came through the deadmans switch near the throttle. Boat ran fine, but the voltmeter on the dash never went above about 11 volts while running. After replacing the kill switch, the meter read correctly. In my case, the voltage at the batter was still about 13.5 when I was reading 11 at the dash. The other tell tale sign was when the bass would beat through the stereo, the voltmeter bounced with the beat of the song because the load of the radio went up and you could see it at the voltmeter. If you had a meter on the battery, it never varied with the music.
I will also second what East Texas Skier said about remembering an issue with PP if the voltage to it drops below 10 volts, but I can not say where I heard or read it. Probably was someone's post on this forum at one point in time.

Good Luck.

There is a diagram on here or thewaterskiforum.com about wiring PP direct and bypassing with stock wiring harness for many, this has solved power related problems with PP.

01MCX30
07-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Thank you guys! I appreciate all of the support for a new MC owner. I ended up replacing both batteries and finally got the PP tests to function correctly. It checks out as okay. I got the sputtering to stop and things seem to run fine, but the gauges always seem to bounce around and the voltmeter reads about 10 to 11 volts and never gets to 13, even at 3000 RPMs or higher. Is this normal behavior on a MC? I ran an alternator test today and with the engine off, the battery measured at 12.1 volts, then I started and and watched the Volt Meter and it dropped slightly while starting then went back to 12.1 volts. Never higher than that. So, I suspect the alternator needs replacing. However, I am not sure if I should stay with the stock alternator which is on there now or if I should bump up the amps while I am replacing it. The problem is I am not sure what model to get and how much I should bump it up to. The previous owner put a $10K stereo with dual amps so I am sure it is drawing quite a bit when I have it on.

Any recommendations on what alternator to get and if you have a model number or link on where to get it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...TK

01MCX30
07-10-2011, 09:59 PM
There is a diagram on here or thewaterskiforum.com about wiring PP direct and bypassing with stock wiring harness for many, this has solved power related problems with PP.
I will check that out East TX...Thanks!

Jerseydave
07-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Only 12.1 volts while engine is running, sounds like the alternator is not charging. (most put out over 13 volts)

You could check with your local MC dealer to see if there is an option of an alt with more output.
Or call Jim@BAWS on here
Or try www.skidim.com
Or take your alt to a local rebuilder for testing/rebuilding.