PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Acme vs. OJ 14x20?

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm looking to replace the stock OJ 14x20 prop on my 99 Maristar 210.
First let me say based on my readings and advice from Eric I ultimately want to replace my stock 14x20 with the OJ 14.75 X 15.5.
However, due to damage on my prop I think I need to do it sooner as opposed to later and budget's an issue at the moment.
In my looking around I've located a coule of used ACME 14x20, from everything I can tell they have the right bore and key.

Anyone out there with more information on this? Will it work?

Jerseydave
07-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Unless you have a big block in your boat, the 14 X 20 is only good for higher speeds and cruising.

Either the 14.75 X 15.5 OJ or the 13.7 X 17 OJ would be better choices. Go with the first one if you primarily wakeboard/wakesurf and load the boat with alot of ballast.

Avoid stainless steel props (like many 14X20's) as they can damage your shaft if you ever hit something.

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Unless you have a big block in your boat, the 14 X 20 is only good for higher speeds and cruising

Thanks, I should have mentioned, I have the LT1 in the boat.

Thanks Jerseydave!

FrankSchwab
07-09-2011, 02:47 AM
I've got the same boat as you.

The 14x20 worked fine. The boat had a good top end, and a lot of pull out of the hole.

I put a 13.5x17.5 on - and it made a big difference. The hole shot was much stronger (but, we don't have ballast, and the only time I've ever used full throttle with someone behind the boat was when I pulled up three slalom skiers). Top speed was down a couple of miles an hour - and now I can hit the rev limiter on the engine on smooth water.

The interesting thing was that with the 14x20, a power turn took up roughly half the lake. I tried for a while to develop a technique in case I had to get back to a skier quickly, but never could. With the 13.5x17.5, cranking the wheel and hitting the throttle gets it turned much more quickly.

Anyway, I don't think you'll see a significant difference between the OJ and ACME 14x20's, assuming they're both cast props. Make sure it turns the right way (or is it the left way? I'm never quite sure), fits a 1-1/8" shaft, and has a single keyway (rather than a spline) and you should be good to go.

/frank

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 11:10 AM
THanks Frank. I've been fine so far with the 14x20, but I've only been pulling my 4 and 6 year old.
Funny you mention the power turn, I tired and tried as well. I can't seem to get it down with mine either.

east tx skier
07-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Both OJ and Acme's CNC'd props are wonderful. The best solution is to try them both. In the past, both companies have been very generous in allowing people to test their propellers with a 30 day return period. Call Eric at OJ and Bill Weeks at Acme to inquire further about this.

Agree on avoiding stainless propellers. Our boat had a run in with something last weekend and while the prop was bent, the shaft was not. Had I been running a stainless prop, that probably would not have been the case.