PDA

View Full Version : Engine sputter

cll695
07-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a 1979 S & S Ford 351. Runs great except at about 1/2 tank of gas when I take off the engine sputters and then runs fine. I think it could be the fuel pick up line in the tank but not sure. Any ideas? Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Sure would like to see some pictures of your boat. Is the boat new to you?

Your engine shouldn't sputter due to the level in your fuel tank as the fuel it's running on is what is in the fuel bowl. You may have a fuel level that is too low. Have you gone through all the basics? Plugs, cap & rotor, points, wires, fuel filter, timing...?

cll695
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes the boat is new to me, just got it mid April. Everything is good with rotor, cap plugs and timing. Runs great except when I get to half tank of gas. My fuel gauge doesn't work all the time, but I know it is half because I fill up the tank and it always takes 10 gallons. When I bought the boat the previous owner stated the same thing. It was a ski club boat and serviced by local MasterCraft dealership. This is the only real problem, but as long as keep tank full runs strong and performs great.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-09-2011, 12:24 AM
There could be a build-up of debris in the tank. Perhaps the next step would be to pull the tank and inspect. This would be a good time to troubleshoot the fuel sender and replace while the tank is out. Replace the sock filter on the pick-up if the sending unit is OK. This would also be a good time to replace the rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. When I replaced mine last year, I found Goodyear fuel injection rubber line at AutoZone for only a little more than the cheap fuel line.

How many hours are on the boat? Do you know if the carb has ever been rebuilt or replaced?

Where in the Midwest are you? If you are near St. Paul I would be happy to lend a hand.

cll695
07-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the offer but I live near Detroit, MI. I don't know off hand if and when the carb was rebuilt, I am out of town and will have to check the records that came with the boat when I get home. 1245hrs
Thanks again!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Motown is a little out of my service area:D Keep us updated as to what you find. Working through this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Don't forget those boat pics.:cool: