PDA

View Full Version : Seriously disappointed with Indmar.

vision
07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Finally found someone at Indmar who was helpful. Thank you.

CantRepeat
07-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a 2008 MCX with a persistent check engine warning putting the boat into limp mode. Turns out to be a known issue with this engine where the ECM was not programmed correctly to allow higher catalytic convertor temperatures with time.

So there is nothing wrong with the boat, just needs a simple reprogramming of the ECM. I am not close to a MC dealer. But fortunately, we have a local (5 minutes from the boat) Correct Craft dealer who was more than happy to hook up my MCX to their Diacom which is how we diagnosed the problem.

HOWEVER, Indmar will not give the local Correct Craft service folks the ability to upload the new parameters file to my MCX, since they are not an Indmar dealer.

Really? This is your customer service response. Pathetic Indmar, simply pathetic.

Yup, I needed an ECM update for a PP issue. I had to drive 2 hours to an Indmar dealer to get it done. So, even if you own the $700 Diacom software suit and the USB cable you can't get access to Indmars ECM cal files to update the ECM. Likewise, they do not want you to send your ECM to them for reprogramming.

Sorry about your wows, but at least it is an easy fix. BTW: It should be a free fix for you.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-08-2011, 01:49 PM

So how are you getting the update?

CantRepeat
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
So how are you getting the update?

Sounds like backdoor action, but at least someone has a heart over there.;)

thatsmrmastercraft
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM

End result is the important one here.

CantRepeat
07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
End result is the important one here.

Indeed! Glad someone took care of him.

I can say the tech/customer service guys/gals at Indmar do like to share information and are helpful to the point of company policy.

vision
07-09-2011, 12:27 AM

You got it. Add a resistor to the circuit from the cat temp sensor to lower the voltage and make the ECM think that the cat temp is lower.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-09-2011, 12:33 AM
You got it. Add a resistor to the circuit from the cat temp sensor to lower the voltage and make the ECM think that the cat temp is lower.

Nice fix............:cool:

Jim@BAWS
07-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Vision,

Engine settings and programming are coveted things. Do you think PCM would release its programming to INDMAR?

Do you thing APPLE would release its programming to MICROSOFT...You are sorta asking INDMAR to do the same thing. INDMAR is a GREAT company with good customer service.

Jim@BAWS

"Originally Posted by vision View Post
I have a 2008 MCX with a persistent check engine warning putting the boat into limp mode. Turns out to be a known issue with this engine where the ECM was not programmed correctly to allow higher catalytic convertor temperatures with time.

So there is nothing wrong with the boat, just needs a simple reprogramming of the ECM. I am not close to a MC dealer. But fortunately, we have a local (5 minutes from the boat) Correct Craft dealer who was more than happy to hook up my MCX to their Diacom which is how we diagnosed the problem.

HOWEVER, Indmar will not give the local Correct Craft service folks the ability to upload the new parameters file to my MCX, since they are not an Indmar dealer.

Really? This is your customer service response. Pathetic Indmar, simply pathetic."

vision
07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Vision,

Engine settings and programming are coveted things. Do you think PCM would release its programming to INDMAR?

Do you thing APPLE would release its programming to MICROSOFT...You are sorta asking INDMAR to do the same thing. INDMAR is a GREAT company with good customer service.

Jim@BAWS"

I understand. I just wish they would have suggested the work around fix 2 weeks ago when my local marine mechanic first contacted them about the high voltage sensor reading.

Do any of the marine engine manufacturers publish a list of known service issues that is available to end users, not just dealers? I could have had the ECM reprogrammed during a routine maintenance visit during the off season, prior to the problem developing.

Waterski-Marcoisland
07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Jim- You can't get engine programming info from the diacom software. I have the software and all adapters for my boats. If anyone need their ECM updated, I would be happy to help.......PM me

CantRepeat
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Jim- You can't get engine programming info from the diacom software. I have the software and all adapters for my boats. If anyone need their ECM updated, I would be happy to help.......PM me

But without the indmar cal/tuning files you can get a factory tune.

Diacom is used, amoung other uses, to flash the ECM. I don't have the softwar but I'm sure you can download the current tune as well.

10ptmust
07-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Do you thing APPLE would release its programming to MICROSOFT...

Excuse the quick threadjack... Actaully Apple is built on Open Source Code, it's available to everyone.;)

JimN
07-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Can you go to a Ford dealer to get warranty work done on a Chrysler? No, you can't. Can you go to a Mercruiser dealer to get warranty service on a Volvo-Penta? Not unless they're authorized by both.

Jim@BAWS
07-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the update there sport....

Jim@BAWS

CantRepeat
07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Can you go to starbucks and get a taco???

venetrex
07-09-2011, 09:33 PM
What was the exact resitor spec you used. I recon I am going to have the same issue sometime soon with my 2007 MCX coming up on 400hrs

vision
07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
What was the exact resitor spec you used. I recon I am going to have the same issue sometime soon with my 2007 MCX coming up on 400hrs

You should be OK. They added the temp sensor to the cat in 2008, so I am told.

Unfortunately, adding a 450 ohm resistor to the cat temp circuit did not work for my engine. Still goes to limp mode due to cat temp sensor over voltage. But it does now take longer.

I thought about simply removing the sensor and leaving it out of the cat so it remains relatively cold, and placing a bolt in the sensor hole.

JimN
07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
You should be OK. They added the temp sensor to the cat in 2008, so I am told.

Unfortunately, adding a 450 ohm resistor to the cat temp circuit did not work for my engine. Still goes to limp mode due to cat temp sensor over voltage. But it does now take longer.

I thought about simply removing the sensor and leaving it out of the cat so it remains relatively cold, and placing a bolt in the sensor hole.

That should cause the opposite code- it will still be out of range and will cause the ECM to either go into RPM reduction (the real name for 'limp mode') or it will adjust the fuel accordingly. Either way, ir should be dealt with in the correct way, if you want this engine to perform properly and survive over the long term. This is a closed loop system and leavint a critical part out will also void your warranty which you aren't using, anyway.

93Prostar190
07-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Probably un-related ... but the 2008 MCX had a recall with the CATs / Water jackets over heating a bit and melting the exhaust hoses due to the temperature. Apparently the gap inside the CATS did not allow enogh water in the correct places to keep them cool ... just wondering if you should get that checked as well.

Just my $0.02.

JimN
07-10-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't have the software but I'm sure you can download the current tune as well.

Not unless they send it to someone, which they won't if they're not an authorized dealer.