PDA

View Full Version : Blisters from handle! (pic)

Lars
07-08-2011, 02:02 AM
I've been skiing just about every day lately but I get these crazy calluses/blisters on my right hand (not my left - odd since I'm left handed). I wear short line gloves but it just seems to get worse each time I go lately. I've been trying to grip the handle more in my fingers and not my hand, but it's hard to do. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm doing course skiing.

agarabaghi
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
keep skiing... they will turn into hard calluses and you will become a man.

Bouyhead
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
A few things come to mind. Glove liners, ice your hands between sets, shave the callouses (sp) down before they become blisters,& then there is the old tape job.

Jim@BAWS
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Man o Man...this conversation could go south in a hurry...

03geetee
07-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Keep pulling off the dead skin and wait for your man hands to come.

Takes time but it will be a thing of the past before you know it.

JTR

CantRepeat
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
I'd tape them up and put on your shin guards too. Then go walk the dock saying "what" to everyone that looks at you!

ProTour X9
07-08-2011, 10:23 AM

I second that remark.

gatorguy
07-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I think you should start with cutting the long nails. I couldn't tell from this view if there was any hair on the nuckles though.

east tx skier
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Tape from one side of your wrist to the other over each of your fingertips, then tape wrap your wrists. That's a to-do though.

I just picked up a pair of these neoprene palm protectors (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons_Hand_Guard_Protectors&i=10800&merchID=1006&r=view). They are great.

Also, make sure you have the correct size gloves. I thought I was a size large glove for years until I checked a sizing chart. Medium for me.

sethro
07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Are you using a round or elliptical handle? A switch to one or the other might help the situation.

GT500 MC
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you should start with cutting the long nails. I couldn't tell from this view if there was any hair on the nuckles though.

Just spit my coffee onto my screen....I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a manicure would solve all of the issues????? Jk

east tx skier
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Also, if you are going for the fingertip handle hold, get a straight small diameter handle (I prefer around a 0.92" diameter 12" handle, which is the smallest I could find when I was looking).

Lars
07-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Just spit my coffee onto my screen....I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a manicure would solve all of the issues????? Jk

I was waiting for someone to notice that, the nails are for fingerstyle guitar I play, deal with it :D

Main problem is those WERE calluses, then they got ripped off. East Tx, thanks for the overton's link, I think I'll get those and see if it helps. I'm using the standard handle that came with my sectioned rope.

Iskidaily
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
glove liners help. Apply ice cold beer can after you finish skiing.

GT500 MC
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I was waiting for someone to notice that, the nails are for fingerstyle guitar I play, deal with it :D

Main problem is those WERE calluses, then they got ripped off. East Tx, thanks for the overton's link, I think I'll get those and see if it helps. I'm using the standard handle that came with my sectioned rope.

Lars - you know the nature of this forum, there's always a couple of clowns out here.

gatorguy
07-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Just having fun. No offence intended. I'm just jealouse that I don't ski enough to have your problem.

Bruce Carr
07-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Use the smallest kevlar glove liners and the smallest gloves you can get on your hands. I believe the palm of the glove is bunching up right where your calluses form and the folded up glove palm tears the calluses off when they get thick. You want to eliminate as much slack material in the palm of your glove as possible. Shaving the calluses down can help as does taping if you can avoid having the tape bunch up in the glove. Try to hold the handle more with your fingers if you can instead of gripping the handle in your palm, this is easier said than done however.

Experiment with different types of glove too, some are much better than others. As you might infer, I have this issue as well. The best gloves I have ever used to mitigate this problem are HO Talons but they are no longer made and they are very hard to find because they work so effectively. The Talons have a metal ring sewn into the lower part of the palm close to the wrist with two velcro straps that you pull through the metal ring which pulls tension into the palm of the glove. This effectively removes any slack in the palm of the glove and eliminates the bunching up problem. Good Luck.

east tx skier
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Masterline makes a nice small diameter (0.94") for a pretty reasonable price.

Brenda (http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html) makes an exceptional handle (0.92") for more money.

That handle you have is 1" diameter.

Bruce Carr
07-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Just a word of caution. If you use a smaller diameter handle and still palm grip (as opposed to finger grip) the handle, the smaller handle will make your ripping condition worse.

Lars
07-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Use the smallest kevlar glove liners and the smallest gloves you can get on your hands. I believe the palm of the glove is bunching up right where your calluses form and the folded up glove palm tears the calluses off when they get thick. You want to eliminate as much slack material in the palm of your glove as possible. Shaving the calluses down can help as does taping if you can avoid having the tape bunch up in the glove. Try to hold the handle more with your fingers if you can instead of gripping the handle in your palm, this is easier said than done however.

Experiment with different types of glove too, some are much better than others. As you might infer, I have this issue as well. The best gloves I have ever used to mitigate this problem are HO Talons but they are no longer made and they are very hard to find because they work so effectively. The Talons have a metal ring sewn into the lower part of the palm close to the wrist with two velcro straps that you pull through the metal ring which pulls tension into the palm of the glove. This effectively removes any slack in the palm of the glove and eliminates the bunching up problem. Good Luck.

I think you're onto something here, I do feel like the glove is bunching up. Maybe I'll try some smaller gloves and the liners.

east tx skier
07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Just a word of caution. If you use a smaller diameter handle and still palm grip (as opposed to finger grip) the handle, the smaller handle will make your ripping condition worse.

True. The smaller diameter handle recommendation is based on the assumption that the user will be holding the handle in his fingertips.

As for the liners, get them at Grainger. Same thing they sell at the ski shops, but they only cost about $2. Those never worked for me, but I know a lot of people who swear by them.

TxsRiverRat
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM

I'd tape them up and put on your shin guards too. Then go walk the dock saying "what" to everyone that looks at you!

Keep pulling off the dead skin and wait for your man hands to come.

Takes time but it will be a thing of the past before you know it.

JTR

Seriously LAUGHING OUT LOUD!

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

TxsRiverRat
07-08-2011, 03:18 PM
On a serious note, theres a guy in my club that re-created the overtons neoprene palm protectors out of truck inner tubes - very cheap fix and they last just as long.

jconover
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Lars - I had the same exact problem after just one day of pulls. I had bought a new high-end glove, and it just tore my hands up. The difference was the amount of padding in that area of your hand, and yes, I agree with the above poster, that it bunches up if you dont use a finger grip.

For reference, i've been using O'brien 3/4 Skins "Custom Fit" Amara Construction. I found these in google on SummitOnline for $24 a pair (just ordered a new pair, since my current pair is 10+ years old and still holding up, but the velcro is a bit tired)

ntidsl
07-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I have four different pairs of gloves and rotate them all the time...sometimes HO, sometimes Masterlines, etc...i was able to stop using liners by using this method and i hold the handle different with each pairr of gloves. Also new handle every few months, they get rough esp if you are using kevlar.

Lastly lift weights with no gloves all winter to keep caluses fresh and hard...lots of chin up and pull ups...my hands are always rough as sandpaper.

macattack
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Lars: Lots of good ideas in the previous posts...right type of gloves, liners, handle diameter, etc.

I course ski 4-5 times a week, no blister/callus problems. I believe the key is holding the handle more toward the finger tips to keep the handle from bunching up the skin at the base of your fingers. Also, I sand my calluses with a pumice stone almost every night after skiing to keep them from building up in height.

Here's a link to the waterski forum that shows you how to tape your hands. This will help your hands heal in the interim...mac

http://thewaterskiforum.com/powerpull.html

Lars
07-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Lars: Lots of good ideas in the previous posts...right type of gloves, liners, handle diameter, etc.

I course ski 4-5 times a week, no blister/callus problems. I believe the key is holding the handle more toward the finger tips to keep the handle from bunching up the skin at the base of your fingers. Also, I sand my calluses with a pumice stone almost every night after skiing to keep them from building up in height.

Here's a link to the waterski forum that shows you how to tape your hands. This will help your hands heal in the interim...mac

http://thewaterskiforum.com/powerpull.html

Mac thanks for that link! that's just what I need for the interim.

East Tx,

Do you have a link to the liner at Grainger? I was just searching their website and didn't see any liners per se.

agarabaghi
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
little babies haha

1990lmtd
07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
For the past ten years I have had exactly two pairs of gloves, both clinchers. Prior to going with the clinchers I would not only get blisters but a hole directly in the center of my palm. Now I am on the sixth season with my current pair and I found out that clincher no longer exists but masterline is making the same exact design for $59 and I will be ordering a pair of those. I ski at least four times a week so there are plenty of sets on these gloves. Once used to the strap and dowel setup you will not want to go back.

Lars
07-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I picked up a pair of those gloves from the local 'bu dealer last week (gasp! :eek: ) and have been liking them so far. No more irritation of my hands, and I'm taping my hands till those wounds heal up.

beef
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice ski hands. I'd tape em up as etx suggested. You might also want to stop trying to strangle your handle. If you let it out into your fingers during the pull, you'll not only get fewer callouses but you'll gain a couple of inches of free rope length!

pmkkdx
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
another vote for gripping out on finger tips ... might even try clincher type gloves, but you can really hurt yourself with those as you can't let go when you start to crash very easily without practice...

agree also that the gloves bunching up are causing the calluses to rip off (another reason to transition out to finger tips, which will also give you a few more inches when getting deep into short line, and you actually have more pull strength and much less forearm fatigue).

TxsRiverRat
07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
use some vagasil, I heard it works great

:D

mbeach
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Man o Man...this conversation could go south in a hurry...

my thoughts exactly!!!

pmkkdx
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
use some vagasil, I heard it works great

:D

ROFL!!!

but honestly, my bro in law (national caliber team roper) swears by Preparation H on his hands (extremely callused) for rope burns & cracking calluses.

TxsRiverRat
07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Theres a joke in the prep H somewhere, I just havent found it yet LOL

Kyle
07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I shave mine with razor blades. The razors that are the square kind that go in scrapers that you would use to take stickers off glass. Just don't shave too deep.

I have man hands though.

pmkkdx
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sure there could be numerous jokes ... but seriously, it works to toughen hands, reduce inflammation & pain from blisters. Your hands aren't near as sensitive as where this is more commonly used.

onejdgreen
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Clincher type gloves are what works for me. IMO, when you put the gloves on your shouldn't be able to straighten your hand completely, should look like you are holding a ice cold beer!!! :toast:

Patrick Hardy
07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Lars,
Still getting calluses/blisters on your daily skiing? I also recommend that you try to focus on handle placement - finger tip gripping. I ski with a couple of people that always have calluses and swear by the kevlarr glove liners from Brenda at In Tow. She makes quality products. They are more expensive than ETS Grainger suggestion though.

Brenda @ In Tow link: http://jlbmfg.com/

jamisonsbrodie
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Lars,

My right hand is very similar to yours (yes its from skiing guys). I usually tape my right hand and it really helps. When I get lazy and don't tape, than I get calluses/blisters. I would like to hold the handle with my fingers tips, but at 205 lbs, it gets really tough to hang on when the rope shortens and I am running late. Clinchers are great, as when I used them I never had a blister, but I also had very painful crashes because I wasn't letting go of the rope.

woodrowskis
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
tape them till they heel. and after that like someone said, keep the callous height down by razor blade, sandpaper, or pomous stone. If you don't let them build up, they won't rip out. Someone gave almost exact answer, just didn't say why.

1990lmtd
07-21-2011, 01:23 PM
If you fingertip grip with the clinchers there is no problem with letting go of the rope. The only problem I have ever had is when the strap from one hand somehow gets underneath thed other hand and it becomes difficult to release at the edge change but when youcrash and let go with both hands there is nothing on the gloves that hold you to the handle. IMO

markismm
07-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Use some Masterline ProLocks - bick nylon strap on the palm helps prevent blisters and helps grip more with finger tips. Otherwise, man up.

Lars
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
all good tips AND jokes!

Clenchers seem to be the way to go, they've been working well for me lately.

Now if only I could get 6 buoys @ 15 off instead of 5.....

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Is it OK to whine and bellyache about my mangina hurting now in advance of my ski sets tonight?

Patrick Hardy
07-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Is it OK to whine and bellyache about my mangina hurting now in advance of my ski sets tonight?

As long as we do not have to see pictures of it tomorrow!

TxsRiverRat
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
As long as we do not have to see pictures of it tomorrow!

LOL! :D:D