PDA

View Full Version : What are we doing wrong?

jacobchance
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Yesterday was our first day out trying to surf with our new fat sacs. We have an X-45 with the port and kgb ballast full, starboard ballast empty, 1100 pound sac in the rear port locker and 400 pound sac in the front walkway.

Speed is about 11mph. We tried the trim plate in every position and tried several different speeds. For some reason, probably more rider inexperience than anything, we can't seem to find "the pocket" and surf without the rope.

Check out the short video please and try to help us figure out what we are doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdqjiPd4mTY

Jeff d
07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not much of a surfer but I can do it.
1) I think you're a little bit fast. Try 9.5 MPH and bump it up a little at a time until the wave just starts to look clean.

2) If you're a wakeboarder the stance for surfing is gonna feel weird at first. It looks like you've got your weight too far to the rear in the video. You have to get your weight almost uncomfortably far forward and you will start to feel that push from the rear.

mpabreo
07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
You may have a bit much weight in the bow. Try reducing some or all of that 400# sac, or move it to the midcabin. I didn't watch your video, but Jeff is right, moving your weight forward is key.

kskonn
07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
With that weight set up my experience has actually been that you need to run in the 12-13 mph range to clean up the wake. I am not a big surfer but one of my buddies is and he always told me the more weight you add the faster you need to go to lengthen the wake and clean it up.

CantRepeat
07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Weight the back surf side as much as you can and try 11.7 after that you can start putting some weight up front to lengthen the wave.

Remember each boat is different and what works on one may not work on another. Use this information as a starting point only.

TxsRiverRat
07-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Looks fast in the video - slow it down

call
07-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Having gone through the exact same experience, here is my $0.02:
1) Your knees are too straight. Get down low.
2) Your weight is too far back. Effectively you have the brakes on the whole time.

pmkkdx
07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Looks fast in the video - slow it down

agree, looks a bit fast to me from my experience ... as there isn't the white feather edge on the top of the wake.

as also stated, each boat throws a different wake depending on weight, configuration of weight & speed. With my '04 X2 the best surf wake with stock ballast filled and someone sitting on the deck (feet on platform) is right at 10-10.5 mph...

Jeff d
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Also, try moving that 400 from the walkthrough to the port side against the seats.

TayMC197
07-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Yesterday was our first day out trying to surf with our new fat sacs. We have an X-45 with the port and kgb ballast full, starboard ballast empty, 1100 pound sac in the rear port locker and 400 pound sac in the front walkway.

Speed is about 11mph. We tried the trim plate in every position and tried several different speeds. For some reason, probably more rider inexperience than anything, we can't seem to find "the pocket" and surf without the rope.

Check out the short video please and try to help us figure out what we are doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdqjiPd4mTY

Don't you know? You need to put 12 people in the bow....

Seriously... try adding ballast to your starboard side, maybe half way.. get to much weight to one side, it can cuase the wake to have a very high pitched slope.. then makes it harder to ride... in that boat you shouldn't have to add additional ballast to surf... it helps big time though...

lawdogg149
07-07-2011, 04:30 PM
PM me. Im just up the road would love to come down teach you some wakesurfing skills. I say biggest issue is rider error. Per video rider is pulling back on rope. Rider needs to lean forward with upper body to balance out to plane to surf without rope. Anyhow PM me I will provide my number.

agarabaghi
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
wake looks fine. Just slow down a big, and have the rider pull him self forward a bit with the rope... also rememebr you have to pump the wave... once u get the feeling ull figure out how to just stand there but pumping will keep your speed up

CantRepeat
07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
wake looks fine. Just slow down a big, and have the rider pull him self forward a bit with the rope... also rememebr you have to pump the wave... once u get the feeling ull figure out how to just stand there but pumping will keep your speed up

I think an X45 can do a lot better then that in the wave department.

agarabaghi
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
shape looks fine, just slow it down and you will start to see the face build up. And per all my other posts, remove the weight in the nose for now...

jvbaca
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
As the driver I always turn the boat a little into the side that the rider is on and that helps to clean up the lip of the wave.

'05 X-45. No Fat sacs, factory ballast tank full on the side that the rider is riding on and kgb full.

Viktimize
07-09-2011, 11:26 AM
In my X-35 surfing the wake with nothing but stock ballast and 2 people in the boat is no problem. So it's more than likely your riding. I've always heard to put your weight forward, but I still found it tough to keep the speed up enough to stay in the pocket. I tried turning my torso so my chest faces the front of the board, and Voila!! I can ride straight legged if I want, throw the rope in the boat, and ride away.

ShawnB
07-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Lots of good advice here already. When I teach people I tell them to take their trailing hand and lean over to touch the wake. It puts your body in the right position to catch the wave. I have the same board by the way and although it's not the greatest you can definitely surf it without the rope.

JulioX2
07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Watched your video, the rider is leaning too far back and as stated applying the "brakes". Put your weight more on your front foot. Carve and find the pocket.
Another thing I found with people learning to surf is you have to make them get rid of the rope ASAP, removes that depency on it and makes you find the pocket quicker.

V-man
07-09-2011, 08:21 PM
You need more list. Which means more wt on the port side. This will give you a steeper face on the wake and more push at the back. I would put that 400 in the board compartment. Keep starboard side empty for now. Load all the peeps on the surf side. Use a GPS and calibrate the PP to 11.5. We have found this speed to keep the best ratio of height to length. Keep trim tab up. The tab may clean up the wake but it also knocks it down drastically. We have also found that driving straight is the best option as turning will shorten the pocket. If you find that this configuration does not give you a long enough pocket then you will need to add wt to front port side. I think that you will be constantly tweeking the setup until you find what you like, but that's the fun of it.

Good job on the video...keep them coming as you progress. I think that you are very close to going wireless. Use the rope as a teaching tool...the more slack time on the rope means you are getting the feel for staying in the pocket. Also play with your foot position...front foot more forward and slightly toe side on the board may help. I am not familiar with that board you are riding but a good beginner board may also help. We used an IS Blue Lake when we started. Hope this helps...We have been surfing behind our X45 for 4 summers now and we are addicted. (As I am sure you will soon be)

ktm29
07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
I just bought a new 2011 X35 how are you setting your boat up for Surfing?

Andy

TallRedRider
07-10-2011, 09:22 AM
You do not need more weight, guaranteed. 1100 pound sac is more than enough.

This pic is with 750 in the port locker and it is fine.

Being beginners, I would remove the 400 out of the front for now until you get the hang of it.

It would be a great idea to get someone who goes wireless to give you a few tips, but the main thing is what has been said above, there needs to be more weight on the front foot. Then focus on staying on your toes to stay on the face of the wave.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG00024.jpg

V-man
07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Where can I get one of those yellow surf tabs?

calls311
07-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I had to move the weight around for the better part of 3 months before finding the best setup. Just try some of the above suggestions to see how the wake reacts.
Also, you have a nice performance board but it's short. A longer board and weight on the front foot could help the learning curve.
Finally, don't be afraid of the transom. You may find that surfing brings you to the platform at times.

CantRepeat
07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
You do not need more weight, guaranteed. 1100 pound sac is more than enough.

This pic is with 750 in the port locker and it is fine.

Being beginners, I would remove the 400 out of the front for now until you get the hang of it.

It would be a great idea to get someone who goes wireless to give you a few tips, but the main thing is what has been said above, there needs to be more weight on the front foot. Then focus on staying on your toes to stay on the face of the wave.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/Lake%20Powell%206-09/IMG00024.jpg

I know the hulls are different but I would think an X45 could do even more then that. I don't have one so I can't help with building your wave. But, looking at your photo and the video it looks like there should be less weight up front and more weight in the rear surf side.