PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy this boat??

jofa390
07-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I picked up a 1992 Prostar 205 that has 1400 hours on the engine (it was used at a summer camp) was told it had a rebuilt tranny about 150 hours ago. The interior is rough and will need the bow rider inserts, rear bench and front seats recovered. The carpet is pretty stained and the prop has a ding. The hull has many scratches and some gouges but looks OK from ten feet.

Supposedly the engine had not been run in four years and could be longer. It started today but ran rough, would not idle and the water pouring out the exhaust was black at first. Gas was pouring into the carb when I shut the boat off. The mechanic that was helping me is recommending that I buy a carb kit and have the carb cleaned. It has a Holley 4 barrel.

I made a deal to pay $5,000 and the prior owner will take it back if I don't want it. I might be able to talk him down a bit as he was confident the boat would run fine.

What would this boat be worth if I reupholster the seats and it runs well?

What would you pay in the shape that it is in now?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

onejdgreen
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Pictures are worth a thousand words... What engine does it have?

ahhudgins
07-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I picked up a 1992 Prostar 205 that has 1400 hours on the engine (it was used at a summer camp) was told it had a rebuilt tranny about 150 hours ago. The interior is rough and will need the bow rider inserts, rear bench and front seats recovered. The carpet is pretty stained and the prop has a ding. The hull has many scratches and some gouges but looks OK from ten feet.

Supposedly the engine had not been run in four years and could be longer. It started today but ran rough, would not idle and the water pouring out the exhaust was black at first. Gas was pouring into the carb when I shut the boat off. The mechanic that was helping me is recommending that I buy a carb kit and have the carb cleaned. It has a Holley 4 barrel.

I made a deal to pay $5,000 and the prior owner will take it back if I don't want it. I might be able to talk him down a bit as he was confident the boat would run fine.

What would this boat be worth if I reupholster the seats and it runs well?

What would you pay in the shape that it is in now?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Not unless I could give it a test drive in the water. No telling what other problems will show up after sitting for so long. And I would get the "warranty" in writing. Once money is exchanged-you're on your own.

jofa390
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
The engine has 285 on the carb cover. I will get some photos up in a minute. I plan to take it for a ride on the lake before I commit to buying it. What would you be worried about that a ride around the lake would show?

ShamrockIV
07-06-2011, 08:10 PM
i would run it and if it checks out go for it. man my 03 has 1280 hours on it and i bought it with over 1200 last year.

ahhudgins
07-06-2011, 08:28 PM
The engine has 285 on the carb cover. I will get some photos up in a minute. I plan to take it for a ride on the lake before I commit to buying it. What would you be worried about that a ride around the lake would show?

All gauges work, dash lights, steering, engine runs at proper temperature (I'm sure it needs an impeller by now), check the oil and transmission fluid color after it warms up, and these are just a few. If you don't know much about these boats, I would find someone who does and have them check it out and do a compression check.

I drove 4 hours to look at a MC and the dealer told me "I've personally checked this boat out myself and it's flawless". It had a drip from one of the head gaskets and the transmission fluid was lite brown. I turned around and drove home.

jofa390
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
here are some photos. The boat was VERY DIRTY and we power sprayed it

rholmes
07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Likely a Ford 351 with the gt40 cylinder heads if it is 285 (the hp rating in all likely hood). I would check the impellar as suggested above. An interior redone will likely be @ a minimum $3k for a low end job. Might want to post where you are located specifically and maybe a TMC guy can come check the boat out with you if you ask nice and provide a case of beer..... I would go help for that!

03geetee
07-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Im sorry but I would not pay 5K for 92 in that shape, usually signs of wear and neglect lead to other wear and neglect you cannot see.

There are alot of good deals out there for 5K and you wont have to worry about giving them back.

JTR

onejdgreen
07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Im sorry but I would not pay 5K for 92 in that shape, usually signs of wear and neglect lead to other wear and neglect you cannot see.

There are alot of good deals out there for 5K and you wont have to worry about giving them back.

JTR

I agree... I am trying not to cry... :cry:

Jorski
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
On the other hand...if the engine is solid (compression and leak down test required) and transmission is good...a '92 in good condition would go for $12,000 easily (maybe more).

If you can get an interior done ($1,000 -$3,000 depending how much work you want to do) and carpet for $300-$400, a complete wet sand/polish/detail for $400 or so, and new decals for a couple of hundred you would have a good deal.

All of this depends upon the engine and transmission not needing a rebuild etc...

You could (I said "could" not "would") wind up with a great $12,000 boat for between $6,900 and $9,000.

Plus...I would bet that you could work that deal lower. They obviously weren't worried abiout getting money oput that boat since it sat for so long.

Good luck either way!

wrobins1
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
To state the obvious make sure you have the cash to complete this kind of work after paying the purchase price. Because nothing is worse than buying something that you can't use and don't have the money to complete or even start the repairs. (Kind of strapped myself this way a couple of times.)

stuartmcnair
07-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I would buy it in a heartbeat and fix it up. Would budget 10 grand though and do everything right. That's getting the boat into prime shape. A boat like that will last a long, long time.

hz900
07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
As far as the rough idling problem, you most likely have the Holley 4010 carb, which is a piece of junk, ask me how I know. Swap it out with a Holley 4060. Do a search on here there are many threads on it. The 4010 isn't worth rebuilding imo, I did mine twice in 4 years until I finally did the swap and was mad at myself for not doing it sooner. I bought a rebuilt unit with a lifetime warranty for ~$275 I think it was.

Also do a search on here for the interior. There is a company that you can take the skins off yourself and mail them to them, and they will make new skins using your old as a pattern. I believe I've read a few times that a whole interior from them is under $2K.

FYI I sold my 92 205 earlier this year for $12500, in good shape with 550 hours. It also had a tower installed.

chawk610
07-07-2011, 12:48 PM
I am constantly amazed at how people treat boats. There are a couple of folks in my neighborhood that have boats out cooking in the sun, no cover. One even keeps his kid's bike in the bow????? Gee, no sharp areas on a bike!

oxberger
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
check out this write up by east texas skier: http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47 Very in depth and should help with what you're doing. Judging from the pictures and what you've talked about i wouldn't pay more than $3,750. Good Luck!

TayMC197
07-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Way I see it is, if hte get coat is in good shape, which it appears to be then you might have a good buy. Upholstry will need to be replaced in 90% of that year range boats anyway... so whether its a little torn or a lot.. you will have to replace it. If the drive train and motor are sharp, then you have a good boat... check the hull for damage, struts, prop, shaft, etc. Get some hull cleaner from your local wall mart and it will remove the stain off that gel coat in seconds.. also toilet bowl cleaner is the same stuff...

$5,000 plus about 4 thousand in upgrades and repairs = $9,000 sharp looking 205... Just my honest opinion.

If your in it to make money, this isn't your buy... but if you want to take the time to have a nice boat to hold on too.. $5k is fair...

jconover
07-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I have to chime in with TayMC190 too - I paid more than that for my 88, and in retrospect it was in poorer condition. The guys here are right, if you shop around, you MIGHT find a nicer boat at a better price - or you might spend a lot of time waiting around to find the right boat. Part of your decision has to rest on how much MC stock is in your market (or how far you are willing to go to get your perfect boat).

I ended up dropping about $19K into my 88 (including the price of the boat) to get it all perfect, with tower and stereo ($12K without the tower and stereo), and that included an engine rebuild. But she's pretty now, and I care about how my boat looks and performs. Could I have done better, in retrospect? Yeah, but I also learned a ton along the way, and I would never hesitate to buy another MC after this project.