PDA

View Full Version : Please help - wrap vs decals vs paint

luke_bradshaw
07-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Bought my 07 X45 last month (pic shown on profile) with intentions of putting a full wrap on. After pricing everything out and talking to friends, I'm now also thinking about a new paint job or just adding a new decal set. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to use the viper red color more and I am not a fan of the solid white...

mrhays9
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
How much was the quote on the wrap if you don't mind me asking?

Thrall
07-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Don't wreck it with paint and not a fan of wraps (like the skulls, aliens, goofy critters, graffiti).
I'd look for the big X45 decals and then put a smaller Mastercraft decal in back where the X45 is, or get a big ole MASTERCRAFT for the sides.

luke_bradshaw
07-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Full wrap is $4500 + $350 boat prep. I'm having trouble finding many decal options - there are only a few on the Mastercraft site...

luke_bradshaw
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
And I agree - If i went with a wrap there would be no skulls, aliens, etc. Just traditional style design with more color...

Jerseydave
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Your colors are in the gel, so painting a 4 year old boat is not your best option. It may look great for a few years, but it will never hold up to the elements like the original gelcoat.

Did you check the Sirlin site for 1/2 wraps? Some of them may look good on your boat and I think they are $2500-$3000, maybe even less?

The only decal I've liked in the past 5 years from MC is the "switch" graphic from 2007.
(An X leaning slightly)

mrhays9
07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
There is a new one called the natural. I think it's pretty sweet. Link: http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/2011/07/05/first-look-mastercrafts-new-all-natural-boat-wrap/

hragsarkissian
07-07-2011, 03:45 AM
I'd definitely consider a wrap. Definitely gives your boat more of that uniqueness. Also gives SOME kind of protection to the gelcoat. Here's mine (flying skull wrap). I know you're not into the skull/crazy kind of graphics but you can see how it gives it a different touch. there's definitely enough variety that you'd probably find one to your likes.

http://i56.tinypic.com/10378d4.jpg

MIskier
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
To do the paint right it would be considerably more expensive than a wrap, you would only want to use Awlgrip paints which are designed for the marine enviro and are what is used in the yachting industry. That being said one bump against a dock and you will be able to see the original gel coat underneath. Im pretty sure that Sirlin will do custom wraps for people, which is going to be your best bet.

Plave
07-07-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm also not a fan of the skulls look (although sometimes I like the octo wrap) but Sirlin have done some great new designs, I do like the Stars & Stripes 2011, comes in many colours;

FourFourty
07-07-2011, 08:35 AM
If it were me, I would go to my local graphic designer/ sign shop, and have them design a custom graphic for the side of your boat. No need for a wrap if you are not looking for a crazy design. If they are reasonable, it will cost you less than $1k to get rid of the "boring" on that boat.

mpabreo
07-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Those two wraps above are nice. Me likey. As for skulls vs stripes, depends on your personality. Good thing about a wrap is you can always change.

Thrall
07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Plave, that wrap is sweet!

willyt
07-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I really like the wrap idea, but i also really like that color scheme on the 45. I think you'd be surprised what a big dip mold "MasterCraft" in red along the side, perhaps along with some of the other associated front graphics from the 08+ designs will do (the little X Series chrome plate, little grey line, circle with a X through it, etc).

krutzmart
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
You don't need paint as bad as this guy did ......

I like the all white. Take off the graphics. Paint your tower all white to go with it.
Wraps look good, exspensive.
Gel coat is the only thing that will hold up. Paint will not hold up. You will be re painting it like a race boat.

GT500 MC
07-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Plave, that wrap is sweet!

Agreed. x2. I've not seen that one before--has a "look at me, I'm an instant classic" vs a "look at me, I'm obnoxious" feel to it.