PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing

MattsCraft
07-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Thought I'd start a new Thread for anything and everything wake surfing. Add your pictures, questions or comments from weighting the boat, tab settings etc. anything to do with surfing:D

First Pic - How we load the boat
Second Pic - My son Thrashing it
Third Pic - 2 at once, did not catch it on camera, but have a video of my son surfing up behind my son-in-law and jumping from his board to the other. They nailed it on the 2nd try!

BigWilson
07-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Good looking wave. I have an x-15 and cant seem to get the back corner in the water enough no matter how much weight I put back there. What is your set up?

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2011, 04:47 PM
good looking wave? :)

man, that things huge - looks like the kids surfing in cali... LOL

MattsCraft
07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
We have the X2 specific sacs in the rears, I think they are 425lbs, Port full, KGB full. Center tab up, I don't have surf tabs. I don't think we had it filled for this shot, but a 350lb down the walkway helps extend the wave some. All peeps on the port side, does help to have at least one person in the bow. We have had 10 on the boat and the rub rail touching the water, but the wave was not much more than what you see in this picture!

Hope that helps! Almost forgot, play with your speed, around 9.6 on the PP for my boat, depending on how many people, I might bump it up or down a bit, just watch the wave and adjust as you are running.

Tri4X2
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
We have an 2010 X-2 that loaded out with Surf tabs. We run 400# in the port locker, Port tank full, 400# on the back seat, 400 on the port seat, and 400 down the middle with the KGB full.

As has been said before, if you can put someone up front it can lengthen the wave nicely.

We also have found that 9.4 to 10.4 is great on the PP

Tri4X2
07-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Guy correct me if I'm wrong but the X-15 and the X-2 are pretty close to the same underneath is that correct?

BigWilson
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Guy correct me if I'm wrong but the X-15 and the X-2 are pretty close to the same underneath is that correct?

Yes they are the same...I have been on a quest to perfect this darn wake for surfing. I have port ballast filled with a plumbed (piggyback) integrated overflow jumbo sac (1100lbs when completely full but due to space limitations prob fills to about 500-700lbs) in port locker, I have two 425lb sacs that I have been playing around with where to put them. We usually do not fill the KGB because everyone I have spoken to about this says to fill the back corner. I can't remember the back corner of our boat near as low to the water as the above pictures...

peettee79
07-07-2011, 06:38 AM
09 X2
All Hard Tanks Full
Port Fly High rear locker Full
Front FLy High Full
STB FLy High Bag where cooler goes, as full as it can
250kg sac along back seat corner
250 Kg sac along port seat
250Kg sac under flip up seat
250 kg bag along port floor
Surf Tabs and centre retracted
250kg bag in walk way
few peeps, beer and fuel
16.5kph

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/Remetengineers/vlcsnap-303694s1-1.png
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/Remetengineers/261-1.png

psychobilly
07-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Is that the Swan River?

RIPPEN!!!!!!! That's SICK!!!!

BigWilson
07-07-2011, 08:13 AM
wow... is your boat about to sink with all that weight?? haha

peettee79
07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Yep...skanky swan. And yep pretty much sinking !

Tri4X2
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes they are the same...I have been on a quest to perfect this darn wake for surfing. I have port ballast filled with a plumbed (piggyback) integrated overflow jumbo sac (1100lbs when completely full but due to space limitations prob fills to about 500-700lbs) in port locker, I have two 425lb sacs that I have been playing around with where to put them. We usually do not fill the KGB because everyone I have spoken to about this says to fill the back corner. I can't remember the back corner of our boat near as low to the water as the above pictures...
depending on the amount of people and if we put the L shaped Sac on the port seat... we can put a rub rail in the water. we run the KGB full to half full... As one pro here in texas put it.... Add weight until you feel uncomfortable... then add a little more.

deminimis
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Add weight until you feel uncomfortable... then add a little more.

Best advise I've read so far.

psychobilly
07-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Yep...skanky swan. And yep pretty much sinking !

BONZA!!!!!

peettee79
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Ive always said...load it till it wont plane, then back it off until the wave is clean.

DooSPX
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Dang! You guys got the boat down for a great surf wake. Some of the best I have seen. I am jealous! I don't like wake boarding, but I love surfing :( I guess I love slalom more, so my 91 is staying.

MATFOW
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I have a 1990 TriStar. I am 6'1 and 230. I have a CWB Ride and I cannot find the sweet spot ont he wave. I have tried speeds between 9 and 13 and it seems like I am not going fast enough to stay on it.

Besides my daughters and their friends, there is no real weight in the boat.

Can anyone help with what I need to do?

Thanks

Jerseydave
07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I have a 1990 TriStar. I am 6'1 and 230. I have a CWB Ride and I cannot find the sweet spot ont he wave. I have tried speeds between 9 and 13 and it seems like I am not going fast enough to stay on it.

Thanks

I have no 1st hand experience with that hull, but you will need to get some fatsacs.
Put the biggest one in the back corner, try a 400# sac on the side mid-ship. Move people around front to back as needed. Speed could be anywhere from 10-12, we surf @ 11.5 mph.

Limpkin
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks

I have surfed behind a 90 tristar with some added ballast it does make a nice wake. If I recall correctly the proper speed was in the 9.5-10.5 range with about 750lbs of added weight (in the form of people and ballast)

gatorguy
07-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Here is my wife trying to surf for the fisrt time. She has not ever done anything behind a boat, and she got up on the 3rd attempt. I attribute it to my great instructing skills J/K.

The second pict is of my wave. It's a 97 PS205 with 2 750# fat sacks. One under the back seat which is lifted to the sundeck possition, and one down the side. When I'm on it the wave it comes up to my mid-thigh/hip.

It's getting kind of boring just going straight behind the boat. Time to learn how to do some tricks.

GT500 MC
07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I can't tell if she's having fun or not...but your wave looks good--high and pretty long...

Duane D
07-08-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks

I have the same problem as you MATFOW. I am 6' 2" and 240-something and it is hard to get in "the spot" on the port side where I surf. I have a cheaper board from OBrien that looks like the Ride (which may be part of the problem) but my wife can ride the starboard side all day with no rope and only 1 or 2 extra peeps in the boat. Of course she is 100 lbs lighter than me! I was thinking that I may need one of the thicker boards instead of the relatively thin one that I have or I may just have to put about 2000 lbs of sacs in my storage compartments. The sweet spot for me seems to be RIGHT behind my platform and I end up with the nose of the board on top of the teak or falling out of the wave.

gatorguy
07-08-2011, 10:43 AM
I can't tell if she's having fun or not...but your wave looks good--high and pretty long...

She said it was fun, she claims she was a little scared. I have no idea what she is affraid of. She's seen me wipe out on the stupid wake board a thousand times. So falling at 11mph on the surf board should be nothing.

mseller
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
'08 X45 with factory port and 400 lb fly high bag in port locker with trim at 0% @ 11mphhttp://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261352_2152224528524_1333718237_2555950_2575688_n. jpg

V-man
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
07 X45, Lake Pleasant, Ballast: Lots

kevkan
07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
07 X45, Lake Pleasant, Ballast: Lots (and then a LOT more)

corrected your post

dirtk38
07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Anyone have experience surfing behind large boats/yachts? I got frustrated trying to surf behind my 205, so I just spent a couple days surfing behind my father's 37' "yacht." I figured a big boat with twin diesels, trim tabs, 300 gallons of fuel and a 150 gallon water tank (aka ballast) would be a surfer's dream, but we spent a lot of time trying to get it dialed in. My brother was able to surf for a while without the rope, but I had a hard time staying in the really small sweet spot. Any tips on setting up an ideal wake on a boat like this?

snork
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
07 X45, Lake Pleasant, Ballast: Lots

Thats Sweet

Tri4X2
07-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Anyone have experience surfing behind large boats/yachts? I got frustrated trying to surf behind my 205, so I just spent a couple days surfing behind my father's 37' "yacht." I figured a big boat with twin diesels, trim tabs, 300 gallons of fuel and a 150 gallon water tank (aka ballast) would be a surfer's dream, but we spent a lot of time trying to get it dialed in. My brother was able to surf for a while without the rope, but I had a hard time staying in the really small sweet spot. Any tips on setting up an ideal wake on a boat like this?
surfing behind twin screws? You have bigger ones than me!!! Don't think I would ever surf behing something like that, I enjoy my extremities way too much.

ShawnB
07-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Wakesurf tackle. Yeah sometimes people do dumb things.

CantRepeat
07-10-2011, 12:39 AM

google yacth surfing... theres some crazy stuff out there.

dirtk38
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
google yacth surfing... theres some crazy stuff out there.
Wow, you're right. I'd seen a few videos before, but I didn't know that "yacht surfing" was the "official" name. Pretty cool video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrelj_fBg3I

surfing behind twin screws? You have bigger ones than me!!! Don't think I would ever surf behing something like that, I enjoy my extremities way too much.
It was a little scary at first because I'd never been so close to the business end of that boat before, but once you get used to it wasn't bad. Just be sure you don't go in the middle like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwCaomsLUM

KnoxX2
07-11-2011, 10:26 AM
We just got a new surf sac for the X2 a few weeks ago. I have no factory tanks so this made it easy to build a custom sac. After playing with it all last week on Norris Lake, we found that the best setup is STB Sac almost full (900# that extends to the sub) 300# in front and speed at about 11.7. The wave was long and hip high. Only problem was we got a little wash on the top of the wave. Got Pics at home will post latter.

stewvette
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I just picked up a Grindwater Ginsu yesterday I have not got a chance to ride it yet. Has anybody had experience with the Ginsu?

V-man
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
We just got a new surf sac for the X2 a few weeks ago. I have no factory tanks so this made it easy to build a custom sac. After playing with it all last week on Norris Lake, we found that the best setup is STB Sac almost full (900# that extends to the sub) 300# in front and speed at about 11.7. The wave was long and hip high. Only problem was we got a little wash on the top of the wave. Got Pics at home will post latter.

The white wash on the top of the wake is more than likely from the swim platform. The back of the platform has that 3 inch lip on the bottom that acts as a scrape and cuts into the wake. You may want to search for threads that address this issue. Your goal is to get the platform out of the way of the wake or at least smooth out the bottom of the platform.

snork
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
someone with a 300 needs to step up a video some wakesurf'n

gatorguy
07-11-2011, 08:36 PM
who has taken off the swim platform, and how has it helped?

JulioX2
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I just picked up a Grindwater Ginsu yesterday I have not got a chance to ride it yet. Has anybody had experience with the Ginsu?

I got the same board. It's awesome. It's more of an advanced board, but if you surfed before it shouldn't be a problem. The feel of it is great. I wouldn't suggest doing deck starts on that particular board. As the coating on it is very fragile like their ocean counterparts. But you'll love it!

mikewmcd
07-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I just took delivery of a 2011 X45. I can not seem to get the wake set up correctly for wake surfing. I tried using the factory settings, with no luck. The wake is small and not very clean. Also the platform dips well below the waterline which prevents us from using it for platform starts. I traded in a 2010 X45 which did not have these issues. Any suggestions?

CantRepeat
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
who has taken off the swim platform, and how has it helped?

I made an extremely short modified platform and a video showing the difference in the two.

mseller
07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
what are the factory settings at? on my 08 i just fill the factory port and 400lb piggy back in port locker and am good to go

jeffbare
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Surfed for the first time this week, it was great. I wasn't able to loose the rope, I am 230 punds, and we were between a Air Nautique, so the wake was more suited for the girls, but still a lot of fun.

mikewmcd
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
full ballast one side, full belly and 68 degrees of surf tab

deminimis
07-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Thought I posted this already. Only three adults and one 8yo in boat. All factory tanks filled. <750# in rear port, +/-200# port mid and -200# port front. 9.5MPH
http://vimeo.com/25967287

When I really sink the boat, I really have a tough time not taking on a lot of water over the front. Makes one keep those bilge pump screens clean. You can see in the video a clean stripe coming from port. That's the swim platform digging in. Thinking I need to fab up a small platform in the future.

Ole Miss Rebels
07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Thought I posted this already. Only three adults and one 8yo in boat. All factory tanks filled. <750# in rear port, +/-200# port mid and -200# port front. 9.5MPH

When I really sink the boat, I really have a tough time not taking on a lot of water over the front. Makes one keep those bilge pump screens clean. You can see in the video a clean stripe coming from port. That's the swim platform digging in. Thinking I need to fab up a small platform in the future.

i have an xstar too and we get a decent wave too but not nearly that far back. what is your setup and speed?

deminimis
07-22-2011, 11:57 AM
First paragraph lists the set up used during the viddy. To get it back, it takes a fair amount of weight up front. Problem is, the boat submarines. Okay, it doesn't really submarine, but turning back (every when turning to starboard at just over idle), my own waves often break over the bow. Not uncommon to have 8"-12" of water on top of the floor/deck before it makes it into the bilge after one of those incidents. Heck, if I plugged the drain, I wouldn't need to buy fat sacs. We can get a taller wave, but then the wave moves forward. I've been trying to tweak the wave for three seasons now without tabs and can never get it just-so. In the video the wave is further back, but not a lot of it.

Tri4X2
07-22-2011, 05:24 PM

That was one of the reasons I bought my X2. The XSTAR was made for Wakeboarding and has a world class hull for it. Your wave looks great but you are right, the XSTAR will take on water because it sets so low to the water to begin with. My buddy can't clean his up on his star so we surf on my X2.... Wake on his STAR

MattsCraft
07-23-2011, 09:44 AM
2 tricks to stop taking rollers over the bow when surfing:

First, as soon as the rider falls, pull the throttle into neutral and let the boat come off plane, then hit reverse hard, the waves will roll right past you.

Second, if you are port weighted, make your turn to the starboard side, this way you have the tallest part of the free-board hitting any left over waves. Opposite for Starboard weighted.

If you are quick on the throttle, pull the rope in (assuming it was out) you can back right up to your rider.

V-man
07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
2 tricks to stop taking rollers over the bow when surfing:

First, as soon as the rider falls, pull the throttle into neutral and let the boat come off plane, then hit reverse hard, the waves will roll right past you.

Second, if you are port weighted, make your turn to the starboard side, this way you have the tallest part of the free-board hitting any left over waves. Opposite for Starboard weighted.

If you are quick on the throttle, pull the rope in (assuming it was out) you can back right up to your rider.

There are many techniques for picking up a fallen surfer....you definitely want to wait for the rollers to pass before turning back to the rider. Personally, I would never "back" into a rider...That's just me.

Fast50dad
07-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Just surfed for the first time. 2003 Prostar 209 with no ballast or other weight. It was a blast, but had to use the rope a lot. Any suggestions for a setup for wake surfing as well as wake boarding?

Luke

V-man
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Just surfed for the first time. 2003 Prostar 209 with no ballast or other weight. It was a blast, but had to use the rope a lot. Any suggestions for a setup for wake surfing as well as wake boarding?

Luke

Welcome Luke. Hopefully someone with your model will chime in with a good setup. You may want to start a new thread in order to get more replies. It took me 3 years to dial in my boat for a sizable surf wake. And as you progress in your skill you will want to increase the size and length of your wake. If you want to start dialing in your boat I would suggest first taking measurements of where you can add more ballast. Take those measurements and go to http://www.wakemakers.com/. Buy some sacs, a couple of tsunami pumps, and get to work.

Start with adding weight to aft surf side. Set your speed at 10 kts (use a GPS to calibrate speedo). Step your speed up in small increments until the wake starts to clean. If the wake is steep but short then add weight to bow surf side. If the wake looks long enough but not real steep then you will need more list (more weight on surf side). Good luck....The first time you surf without the rope (wireless) you will be hooked.

Fast50dad
07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks VMan, just bought two 750# sacks. I'll try the stern and driver side, the kids here tell me to lean it. And being a goofy foot surfer hopefully this will work out.

Luke

deminimis
07-25-2011, 02:25 PM
There are many techniques for picking up a fallen surfer....you definitely want to wait for the rollers to pass before turning back to the rider. Personally, I would never "back" into a rider...That's just me.

No, there will be no backing. I always turn to starboard. On a river, so there is often no chance to avoid waves (either mine seemingly coming back at me or others'). Backing my Xstar is an exercise in frivolity (even with the upgraded rudder, the butt will turn to starboard). Don't mind as I always have river-fresh clean carpets.

V-man
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
....I always have river-fresh clean carpets.

That's catchy, I like it. Kinda like "Zest fully clean".

I understand your dilemma with the chop. It's similar at Lake Powell. The rollers come off your boat, hit the rocks and come bouncing back at you. This creates a "washing machine" effect.

smoketu
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
My youngest boy the first time out. I have and x-9 with center and rear ballast full and a 750# alongside motor.

V-man
07-28-2011, 01:47 AM
Future shredder there. Good stuff! This might be something that you could use:
http://towanza.com/product/23-wakesurf-rope

etnovass
07-28-2011, 09:43 PM
me and the wife behind our 06 x45

Fast50dad
07-29-2011, 08:47 AM
That's awesome!

CantRepeat
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
The pocket... make it long and big!

http://www.mikesell.net/images/wave.jpg

sand2snow22
08-13-2011, 01:20 AM
make it long and big!

That's what she said

V-man
08-13-2011, 01:33 AM
That is a work of art.

Fast50dad
08-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Can't repeat,

Did you start off the platform? You look awfully dry. Let me know your technique for doing so.

Thanks,
Luke

CantRepeat
08-13-2011, 10:41 PM
That's what she said

What she really said was neither you nor your boat could pull it off.

CantRepeat
08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Can't repeat,

Did you start off the platform? You look awfully dry. Let me know your technique for doing so.

Thanks,
Luke

That is not me, that's bud of mine. Was a deep water start, but his first so that's why he is so dry. Strangely enough, he is working on his 360s. On this attempt he tried to pull a 360 and did a 540 going out the back door; he could not stop the rotation. :D

CantRepeat
08-14-2011, 09:19 AM
That's what she said

I assume both you and your boat failed at the resquest? :D:D:D

ap77
08-17-2011, 12:58 AM
I am trying to reduce the amount of white water in our wave. We have a 2009 X2 and usually fill the port side ballast and 400 Ib fat sac in the port storage locker. We also put a 400 Ib fat sac in the rear corner. The wave is nice and big, but would like to see no white water...

I saw this clip on You Tube, which is interesting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdZoTb6GS0

The guy made a smaller platform for surfting. Wondering if anyone else has tried a smaller platform?

V-man
08-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Wondering if anyone else has tried a smaller platform?

Yes, definitely. Cutting the sides in and getting rid of the lip on the platform will help reduce the disturbance the platform causes to the surf wake.

SKADMAN
08-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I also want to modify my swim platform for a wake like that. Anybody modify a fiberglass one yet? How much would it cost to order a new one?

CantRepeat
08-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Here's a modified (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRYs9VQ89c) platform I made and a comparison video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdZoTb6GS0) of the stock vs modified platform.

I'm going to try something different over the winter.

ap77
08-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Let me know how it goes...What are you going to do differently? I think there is a market out there for modified swim platforms for surf enthusiasts.

V-man
08-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I modified mine and Donovan of Mastercraft AZ has the prototype and can probably get you a surf style platform.

ap77
08-18-2011, 02:37 AM
Do you have a picture of it? Did it reduce the wash?

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Let me know how it goes...What are you going to do differently? I think there is a market out there for modified swim platforms for surf enthusiasts.

I've got the fold down swim step brackets from OJ. What I'm going to do is drill a second set of holes when the step is folded up at like a 20 degree angle. This way you have a full size step but can just fold it up to surf and then back down when done.

KnoxX2
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
I've got the fold down swim step brackets from OJ. What I'm going to do is drill a second set of holes when the step is folded up at like a 20 degree angle. This way you have a full size step but can just fold it up to surf and then back down when done.

That is a great Idea. Please start a thread when you start this project. Best of both worlds!!!

CantRepeat
08-18-2011, 10:18 AM
I am trying to reduce the amount of white water in our wave. We have a 2009 X2 and usually fill the port side ballast and 400 Ib fat sac in the port storage locker. We also put a 400 Ib fat sac in the rear corner. The wave is nice and big, but would like to see no white water...

I saw this clip on You Tube, which is interesting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtdZoTb6GS0

The guy made a smaller platform for surfting. Wondering if anyone else has tried a smaller platform?

I must have skip over this post. That's my video and boat, but you know that now. :D

spuckley
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I am going to work on a smaller platform as well. What do you think about making one out of composite decking? No teak is handy at the moment. I'm not sure composite would be stiff enough by itself- might have some sag in the middle unless braced from underneath with something else.

LA205
08-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I was looking at this old post, I also have a 205, I was frustrated trying to surf behind it, I now have a 7 ft real surfboard that I bought on craigslist for 250 and can free surf no ballast. I'm in north Louisiana. I do get up to Ouachita and Degray some.