PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lice a.k.a. jetskis

onejdgreen
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Let me start by saying I mean no offense to those of you who own a jetski, I believe that you and the riders that ride your jetskis are respectful of other boats on the lake. This last weekend on the home lake it seemed like the Lake Lice were out in full force. Saturday the lake was busy, as expected, and we didnt get out early because we arrived at the lake house really late Friday/early Saturday morning, so no slalom pulls. So I filled the ballast and went wakeboarding. My brother was having a good run until the lake lice started following too close and jumping my wake. My brother noticed this and shot inside the no wake buoy and dropped. I turned around and chewed some serious a$$ on the 14 yr old kids on the jetskis, yes multiple jetskis. They left us alone the rest of the day.

Got up Sunday, made our annual barefoot pulls and a couple slalom runs, thought the day was going to be great... Filled the ballast and my brother once again went wakeboarding. Well a couple minutes into the pull, the SAME DAMN KIDS WERE DOING THE SAME DAMN THING!!! Well this time we were in front of our lake house, my brother did the same thing as the previous day and when I turned around to chew some a$$ they took off back their cabin. Well you all know the power and speed behind a MC, so I pursued and caught them at their dock. Their parents came out to see what the problem. I calmly talked to the parents about the situation and proper boating respect. They assured me that they would take care of the situation. I thought that was the end of it. It wasn't...

A couple of hours later we are relaxing on our beach and the local DNR officer, who is a good family friend, pulls up to our dock and wants to talk to me about the "incidents". No tickets, no warning, just wanted to hear my side of it. I don't know what happened to the jetskiers, but tell me, was I in the wrong???

wrobins1
07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I would like to thank you! It sounds that you did everyone on that lake a favor even the kids on the wave runners. I cannot help but think of how hard it would have been on the children if something bad happened when in reality it sounds like all they needed was some discipline and strong role model. Now lets see if it truly was a lesson learned, if not that is the time of tickets and other legal repercussions. Thanks

willyt
07-06-2011, 03:26 PM
you're nicer than I and my friends. jetskis come too close and out comes the paintball gun. If that doesnt stop em, throw a old rope in the way of their craft. muahaha

Not really... but i have comtemplated keeping a paintball gun on the boat for this very purpose...

JeromeM
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
There's not that much traffic on my lake but this past weekend my wife was boarding and some a$$hat on a Jetski was taking playing on my wake, I wasn't happy. Luckily for him he didn't stay there long and he never came back.

wakescene
07-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Not in the wrong at all! You did a good service. I am willing to bet the parents had no idea of the kids behavior. Close by they are all nice, but far away the mice will play! (Hopefully the parents are as clueless as the kids though...)

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Not really... but i have comtemplated keeping a paintball gun on the boat for this very purpose...

When I skied on public waters, we (in jest) toyed with the idea of a 50 cal mounted on the open bow with a tall fishing boat chair to sit in as we eliminated the offenders... LOL!

chawk610
07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
There really needs to be a minimum age... I think even 18yo would be smarter than that. Kids don't realize jetskis are loaded missles!

J NORRIS
07-06-2011, 03:47 PM
This guy must have saw me about to loose it when he got a little close to my son riding the kneeboard for the very first time. He got a stern look as he and his underage driver where passing.

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
There really needs to be a minimum age... I think even 18yo would be smarter than that. Kids don't realize jetskis are loaded missles!

There is in Texas

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/boat/laws/pwc/

ski/hunt
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Had a young lady with fella on back come to our area when nobody else was in eyesight. My wife was the skier down and I realized this jet ski driver was heading for us/her on a course to hit our waves. I quickly put the boat between them and my skier. They kept coming...they got so close they ran over my tow rope nearly in the middle of it and that was at 15 off even!! Loaded my wife fast brought the rope in and started the chase to let them know how that won't happen again near my boat with my kids and wife in there. Fortunatly they stopped (wife was writing hull # as I started the conversation) and lucky for her she was very apologetic as I explained what could happen if the steering stem were to break when she hit the first wave at that proximity to another vessel!!?? This took place at like 7:00 am. so my point to them was wait a couple hours on this Saturday and there will be plenty of waves to bounce on. Ironically later that day we saw them cruise into the cove where the slalom course was and low and behold they were staying in a small rental houseboat and we assume the ski was also. I used the day event to talk to my young kids about boat/jetski safety and can only hope I was able to keep the young girl and fella from hurting themselves or someone else. I do really like the paintball idea though!!

onejdgreen
07-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks for having my back on this one guys. I didn't think it was out of line. I will have to so thinking on the paintball gun option.... :D

ahhudgins
07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
The "Sea Gnat" poplulation always picks up on the holidays, so it was expected this past weekend. Believe it or not, the only problem we had was pontoon boats this 4th. For some reason the lake was littered with pontoons pulling kids on tubes all day long and never following the laws. We stopped to change skiers and when I was getting the rope tight I noticed a pontoon heading my direction. He actually turned and started heading towards my boat and before I could hit the horn, one of his observers yelled to the driver (who was looking at the tuber) that he was heading toward a boat. He turned away and gave a little wave as I shook my head.

Dumb drivers are the problem, no matter what watercraft they are operating.

Jerseydave
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
We were wakesurfing @ 11.5 mph when a jet boat (just as ignorant) was coming up behind us and didn't look like he was going to turn away. We had to wave our arms frantically to get his attention. He passed us @ 50 feet away with a stupid look on his face.

TallRedRider
07-06-2011, 10:06 PM
I get pretty frustrated when I am tubing in the middle of the day and the lake lice start wanting to jump the wakes. Unfortunately this happens all the time. The nature of tubing is that I am going to swerve erratically, and I find it especially disturbing when I get them behind me, and even more concerning when I turn sharply and find them right there.

This is way stupid, so none of ya'all should do this...but what I do is I slow down a little so the riders on the tube are less likely to fall off, put the wife in charge of watching the tubers and I start following the jetski, like they do to me. They suddenly leave me alone pretty quickly and never come back. Funny how they never let me get close enough after that to discuss the problem with them.

Iskidaily
07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I feel your pain. I can't tell you the last time I confronted a stranger to discuss their behavior, but it happened twice this weekend. The first time was with a guy riding a stand up Jet ski on Friday and we were the only boat to follow, so he did. My son is learning new wakeboard tricks and some open water gave him the chance to experiment. Two times, I looked back after a fall and the jetskier was the first thing I saw. My son dropped at the house and I started a low - speed chase on the jetskier, who was turning in circles. Every time I got close to him, I would go the the bow to talk to him and he would drive away. We played cat and mouse for 5 mins and I tired of it and figured he got the message. Then on Saturday, my son was boarding again. He fell and due to the crowed conditions, I got back to him fast. Thank goodness. I was able to get right in front of my son just as an adult with a very young passenger on a jet ski came right at us. I hit the horn and they missed us by less than 10 feet. Again, the jetskier failed to even look at us.

I've ridden a jet ski and just like many of the riders I see, my IQ dropped when I got on board. Jet skis are fun, but because the rider is also the DRIVER, I think sometimes, the riders lose perspective and fail to see what concerns the other boaters on the lake. As the boat driver, my number one priority is the safety of my skier / boarder / tuber /footer. Thanks to all of you that politely but firmly remind our fellow boaters about their responsibilities so that we can all be safer.

oldairboater
07-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I am not taking up for the jet skiers but everyone has a different perception of what is too close. Ten feet is too close and running over my ski rope is too close. Someone's jet ski playing in my wake is too close. With that said, I have seen people start waving at several hundred yards trying to wave off a boat or jet ski that isn't even close. I have seen people get their panties in a wad when it wasn't that close. Some people don't like to share, even a small part of the lake or river.

gabehonda
07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Holiday weekends ...gotta love em ... we had a guy in a brand new seadoo wake edition boat, ballast all emptying (but they didn't need any ballast) coming right at the back of our boat while my son was getting done with a run and i was putting my board on . They were close enough i had to tell them where my rope was laying in the water. Luckily it was looped around the side , the guy looked up and said "yep i see it " and keep coming .... I did keep my cool because the kids were with me and politely told the guy it was a little to close to another boat when they see someone on the platform putting on a board, usually a rope out and maybe someone in the water. .... Oh , something else... the same boat was sideways at the ramp later and i heard them say " we can't back up , this boat doesn't have reverse". Not everyone should be in control of a boat .

Red Dragons
07-07-2011, 01:01 AM
After a couple of close calls on the weekend with jet skis actually trying to spray us, the lake cops told us to lob a flare just over top of them if they're being unsafe......but we didn't hear that from him.

vandit0022
07-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Apparently this weekend spawned a ton of moronic drivers. Even my passengers commented about how many stupid maneuvers they saw, tubers swerving all over, and cutting in front of of as we were underway. But the worst offender was a jet ski with two people on it.

I saw them swerving all over as we approached from the right side as they wobbled to and fro, they then sort of stopped, and I saw him try to steer and realize he couldn't. Then all of a sudden as we approached he gunned it and started on a parallel but into my path direction and his passenger looks right at me as he's about to cut 50 feet in front of my boat.

I honked the horn (where is the dual barrel horn when you need it), and gave her a clear visual finger signal just as I cut the throttle and they cut directly in front of me. The nose of my boat would have gone over the top of their heads even on a jet ski. Not good.

2RLAKE
07-07-2011, 07:53 AM
onejdgreen ... i know that boat of yours has chased down several lake lice in TN a few years back ... they are idiots who endanger our family and friends ... might be your boat has actual magnetic powers for attracting lake lice

you can tell my opinion here ... they are dangerous

~10 years ago i remember reading some statistics in waterski magazine ... PWC was <5% of the registered watercraft but involved in >95% of boating accidents ... little brains

MIskier
07-07-2011, 08:26 AM
This doesnt involve a jet ski, but it does involve stupid. This weekend I was out in the front yard with my family when we see a decent sized Chaparral deck boat came flying into the cove our house sits on. This cove gets to be one of the ruffest parts of the lake and this dumb#$% has someone standing in the front of the boat, the drive heads straight through some rollers, and we see said moron standing in the front of the boat go head over heals off the front of the boat. My mom ran in the house to call 911 thinking in all likelihood that this guy had just been killed, when he pops up laughing his #$% off and too drunk to realize how lucky he was to be alive with everything still attached. We ended up calling the DNR and watched him and his buddies get dragged off the lake in cuffs. Without a doubt one of the scariest and craziest things I have every witnessed on our lake.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
While I agree with most of this jet ski topic, It is a good tool to clear off the MasterCraft so daddy has play time, My daughter dreaming of the day she can ride alone...