PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent fuel delivery '97 PS 205

_fng_
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
While out on the water, my boat would run and then lose all power and the engine would shut off. The engine would not fire but would turn over; after hitting the fuel filter (don't ask why I did this, grasping straws) that comes from off the fuel pump it would start and run for awhile but would eventually die again. I repeated this process as I tried to limp back to the boat ramp but eventually had to be towed as the hitting filter didn't work.

Yesterday, I pulled the fuel delivery system and replaced/cleaned everything that I could think of that could have caused this problem (fuse, both fuel filters, checked fuel pump screen, checked lines). I backed the boat down the ramp into the water and it fired and idled for a couple minutes without issue.

While looking at the electrical input to the fuel pump it looked kind of lose and I was wondering if there should be a good fit and if not could this be the cause (first picture)? I tried to seat the connection deep but it looks like it could loosen easily with rough water, has anyone experienced this issue?

Second two pictures are just some questions, what are the two brass poles on the fuel tank? What is the small box just above the fuel tank?

Thanks,
Nick

I searched hard for these answers but couldn't find them

chico
07-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Those brass cylinders are speedo ballast tubes,they make your speedo`s run smoothly-if they were hooked up,the box is for the fuel tank vent system,try a wiggle test on all the connectors when the boat is running,espesially the two relays behind the engine for the fuel pump and ecm.

_fng_
07-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Chico thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know of what the name of the electrical connection to the fuel pump is called? Its the piece that doesn't look to seat completely within the fuel pump. In the picture it it the piece opposite of the the two brass fittings (it's on the left just off the body of the pump).

Thanks

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/c/ALL4C/graphics/00000001/CARP60962.jpg

_fng_
07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
I took the electrical connector apart from the fuel pump for greater visibility and possible identification by someone here. So if anyone knows what the name of this part is called and if it can be bought separately from the fuel pump let me know.

Thanks

Since the swimsuit thread is popular I'm going to start posting pics of my gf to increase attention

JLeuck64
07-11-2011, 11:06 AM
GULP!

its just the harness connector for the fuel pump. Tapping on the fuel pump and actually getting it to work again makes me believe the brushes are worn out... Have you had a chance to check the voltage to the pump while cranking the engine over? Have you been able to check the fuel pressure yet?

(Thanks for the pics man they're great!)

_fng_
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
GULP!

its just the harness connector for the fuel pump. Tapping on the fuel pump and actually getting it to work again makes me believe the brushes are worn out... Have you had a chance to check the voltage to the pump while cranking the engine over? Have you been able to check the fuel pressure yet?

(Thanks for the pics man they're great!)

It ran without issue this weekend! I'm pretty sure its the connection between the harness connector and the fuel pump, voltage normal when properly connected. I changed my oil this past week after which it wouldn't start and the fuel pump wouldn't prime but after reseating the connector it was fine. I'd rather just replace the part than worry about it in the future but can't find it minus the fuel pump.

When I started dating her, I was surprised to learn that she's natural but they're great!

_fng_
07-27-2011, 03:32 PM
So...I thought I fixed the problem (2 weekends full of boating without issue) but got towed off the water again on Sunday afternoon! The engine cut out abruptly during a run and wouldn't start. At first, I tried monkeying (assuring tight harness connection) with the fuel pump which got it to prime and the engine started for ~3 seconds before dying; I couldn't get the FP to prime again though regardless of what I tried on the water or since.

I'm getting 12V at the fuel pump but no priming/noise from FP when initially turned to ON position. I've ordered another fuel pump but am wondering if I could be missing something else. If the FP is getting 12V and not priming is there anything else that could be the issue other than the FP? If I replace the FP and get it to prime, is that the end of my problems or should I search for another problem source to minimize getting towed off the water again?

Thanks for any help!! I'll post more pics of my GF for helpful responses as added incentive :)

calls311
07-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Man, the fuel pump issues can be frustrating. I ended up replacing the pump all together. MC used a product on my '06 tha t failed early. I got tired of messing around with it and just swapped the whole thing. Fuel pumps are a bit concerning as the wrong step makes for loud boom.

Good luck.

mgurley
07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Try some dielectric grease on all the connections when you put it back together next time.

shunra
07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
So...I thought I fixed the problem (2 weekends full of boating without issue) but got towed off the water again on Sunday afternoon! The engine cut out abruptly during a run and wouldn't start. At first, I tried monkeying (assuring tight harness connection) with the fuel pump which got it to prime and the engine started for ~3 seconds before dying; I couldn't get the FP to prime again though regardless of what I tried on the water or since.

I'm getting 12V at the fuel pump but no priming/noise from FP when initially turned to ON position. I've ordered another fuel pump but am wondering if I could be missing something else. If the FP is getting 12V and not priming is there anything else that could be the issue other than the FP? If I replace the FP and get it to prime, is that the end of my problems or should I search for another problem source to minimize getting towed off the water again?

Thanks for any help!! I'll post more pics of my GF for helpful responses as added incentive :)

Depends what you mean by "not priming". Usually I would take this to mean the pump runs but does not pump. However I think in your case you mean the pump doesn't run at all. If you have 12 volts to the pump and it does not run, then you almost certainly have a pump problem.

BTW, some might argue that you last picture is not relevent to the discussion. I however would disagree. I say all your pictures are "motor boating" related. Good job sir.

_fng_
07-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Depends what you mean by "not priming". Usually I would take this to mean the pump runs but does not pump. However I think in your case you mean the pump doesn't run at all. If you have 12 volts to the pump and it does not run, then you almost certainly have a pump problem.

BTW, some might argue that you last picture is not relevent to the discussion. I however would disagree. I say all your pictures are "motor boating" related. Good job sir.

thanks for the help, I installed the new pump and it did "prime" i.e. make noise when turned to on position (didn't do this before and the fuel pump only thing changed). Hopefully this thread can die and not be revived!