PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl discolored by cover??

luke_bradshaw
07-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Just bought 07 X-45 and when I stored with factory cover for 2 weeks, the vinyl seats turned a shade of red. Was able to get off with strong vinyl cleaner, but not sure what to use going forward. Anyone dealt with this?

mseller
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41528
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41958

a lot of us have had the problem but haven't found a solution yet except possibly buying a new cover that isn't black

Thrall
07-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Many threads on this. The OE Black covers stain white vinyl.
Good news is, a day or 2 on the water and in the sun takes it out with no cleaning/scrubbing. (After cleaning the cr@p out of mine)
If I have to cover mine outside, I've resorted to covering the sun deck and top of front seat w/ white towels.
Only permanent solution I think Is to have a liner sewn into the affected areas.

mrm2083
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Guys the cover is not staining the vinyl. I'm 100% positive. It is some kind of mildew/mold/bacteria, etc. It happens when the protective coating on the vinyl has worn off and then the boat is covered. It will happen with any cover in any color.

agarabaghi
07-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Im still confused. It seems that the brown is starting to come back even without the cover on the boat. Luckily only a couple more weeks and ill have all new vinyls and a new sunbrella cover.

luke_bradshaw
07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Now I'm even more confused! So does it really not matter what cover I use??

agarabaghi
07-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Not sure. When i get my new cover i will chime in... I also bought new vinyl but im not sure i will try the old cover on the new cvinyl if the new cover doesnt stain them lol

Thrall
07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Guys the cover is not staining the vinyl. I'm 100% positive. It is some kind of mildew/mold/bacteria, etc. It happens when the protective coating on the vinyl has worn off and then the boat is covered. It will happen with any cover in any color.

Then why does it only happen where the cover actually touches the vinyl?
Just had teh cover on for several days so I taped white towels to the sun pad and top of the front seat. No staining at all except a couple small spots the towels didn't cover. The spots disappeared on hteir own after 2 days on the lake in the sun.
Also don't get it, seems to be white vinyl only. Friend has an 06X15, real light grey vinyl. Leaves it covered all the time on his lift, black MC cover, no issues.

Thrall
07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I guess the question is does anyone have colored vinyl (not white) that this happens to, or white vinyl that does not stain?
Or either type with a non MC dark colored cover that does or doesn't stain?

Cobra Rob
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Have an 07 X45.. black cover with the really light gray vinyl. Never seen any staining and I have even covered it up damn a few times.

Thrall
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Have an 07 X45.. black cover with the really light gray vinyl. Never seen any staining and I have even covered it up damn a few times.

See I think it's the white vinyl only.

vandit0022
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
See I think it's the white vinyl only.

I have white vinyl, MC black cover.....it touches the front backrest and all the transom backrests and the two sunpads on the transom........never had any discoloration and it's always covered. Not to add to the confusion.:confused:

Forgot to mention the cover was new in 2009 but think it was a leftover.

mrm2083
07-08-2011, 11:16 AM
It's not the cover! Once my boat hit 4 yrs of age it started happening to me. I had used a magic eraser multiple times and my stitching was already splitting. I purchased a new, khaki colored, cover and it still happened. Finally I replaced the vinyl and it no longer happens.

starman205
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I have a 2004 197TT, white vinyl, black OEM cover. I have not had any problems with staining even after leaving it covered in the rain. I have treated the cover with 303 Fabric protector once a year and I treat the vinyl 3 to 4 times a season with 303 protectant for vinyl. Cover touches the bow back rest vinyl and the rear storage compartment/sundeck vinyl.

agarabaghi
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Where do you live?

It seems to affect older vinyls that are in hot climates

V-man
07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Where do you live?

It seems to affect older vinyls that are in hot climates

Agreed. Have this trouble in Phoenix only in the summer. I put an old white sheet on the sun pads before covering the boat. Seems to help.

lazerhawk
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a 96' prostar with "buttercream" vinyl and a "mulberry" colored Sunbrella cover. One day the vinyl seemed to bleed pink on my sundeck. I called Sunbrella and they said it was a bacterial thing that is common with MCs, and if I remember correctly, was the most prominent in year-200s.

agarabaghi
07-08-2011, 11:16 PM
the pink bacteria is different than what we are experiencing.

trunderw
07-10-2011, 10:31 PM
I have the same problem: 2008 X-14, white vinyl, black mooring cover. I wish this was the only thing I had to complain about...

bturner2
07-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I had the problem with with dark marks from the cover last year. Bought a new Sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com this spring. Zero problems this year. It's the material the cover is made of without a doubt. At least for the problem I had.

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I have the same problem: 2008 X-14, white vinyl, black mooring cover. I wish this was the only thing I had to complain about...

Welcome to boat ownership, embrace it!

Thrall
07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
the pink bacteria is different than what we are experiencing.

Correct.
And I'm seeing a common denominator here. Boats left covered out in the sun I believe are the ones that experience this.
My X2 was covered, out in the Las Vegas sun for probably 3 seasons before I bought it. Transom and swim deck oxidized from the sun. I'm guessing that did some sort of damage to the vinyl where the cover contacted it.
Weird thing, the upholstery is in otherwise good condition, even the affected areas. They shine up fine, soft, not cracked or otherwise deteriorated, but only takes a few hrs with the cover on out in the sun and the skins turn brown. Couple hrs on the lake with the cover off and they go back to white. Weird!

agarabaghi
07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Hopefully sometime this week I will have my new light grey sunbrella cover in, and will test on the "damaged" vinyls.

I have a feeling it will still turn brown. Then when the skins come in I will replace them and try with the old cover (risky i know) and see what happens.