PDA

View Full Version : Video Cameras - Any Suggestions?

bcampbe7
07-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a video camera. Would like to be able to shoot some video of the wife and I ... 8p ... skiing and boarding. I don't really care about still imaging. I have a digital camera for that. Just want a great video camera.

I am thinking I want DV, but am not 100% sure. Any ideas?

MasterCrafting
07-26-2005, 02:15 PM
You Want Dv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
07-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I got a cannon ZR-85 mini-dv last year and have been very happy with it. Only drawback is that it's not ideal in low light situations. Agree with the above though. You should go digital.

Farmer Ted
07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I had a JVC something 33 (Cheap POS) took it back yesterday and got a cheap SonyDCR-HC21 that has yet been tested out on the water.

If you are going to buy I would recommend putting a tape in the camera and recording some video in the store and then reviewing the video you just shot before you purchase it.

It's great to sit there and fiddle with a video camera in the store but unless you look at what it's recorded you're not seeing what the results are and you might not be happy with them

Keep in mind most stores charge 10% restocking fee if they'll take it back in the first place.

3event
07-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Another vote for DV. We have a Sony, and have been very happy with it, great results. I make DVDs of the year's exploits and wipeouts to share with ski buds. Recommend Pinnacle video software for editing and production also. The video software allows you to add dig pix into the film too. Make sure you get an optional larger battery - at least on the Sonys, the std battery is a bit small.

bcampbe7
07-26-2005, 02:49 PM
...SonyDCR-HC21...

This is one of the cameras I am considering. Seems to be a great camera for around $400.

east tx skier
07-26-2005, 03:05 PM
I'll throw in another plug for Pinnacle's Studio software for editing and burning the dvds. Great features.

PeteS
07-26-2005, 03:46 PM
I just saw the other day that CVS is now selling a one-time use video camera. I don't have all the details, but for $20.00, you can get the camera which has film, and you're ready to shoot.

Once you use up your 20 minutes of available recording time, you take the device back to CVS for development onto a DVD. Very interesting concept.

jamisonsbrodie
07-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I've got a Canon ZR-300, and I am very happy with it so far. It came with a wide angle lens that is really nice, I use it all the time. Also it has a wide mode for use on wide screen tv's. I got it online for @ $380. It is a little slow to focus when I zoom in, but other than that it works great.

Bobby
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
I have a Canon ZR80. Works great for just playing around and was relatively cheap.

Bobby
07-26-2005, 05:10 PM
on a related note, what is good software to use to put my digital video on computer?

east tx skier
07-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Pinnacle Studio.

Farmer Ted
07-26-2005, 05:29 PM
I'll throw in another plug for Pinnacle's Studio software for editing and burning the dvds. Great features.

I downloaded Adobe Premiere Pro and played with it for 30 days, really easy to use and the results are awesome but it's priced way over my head. I'm looking at getting the Premiere Elements as it's much more in my price range.

east tx skier
07-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Tim, what sort of features does the adobe software offer?

Farmer Ted
07-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Tim, what sort of features does the adobe software offer?

Real-time editing experience
View effects, transitions, motion paths, and more with real-time, full-resolution playback on NTSC, PAL, and VGA monitors.

Multiple, nestable timelines
Experiment more freely and easily manage complex projects more efficiently using multiple, nestable timelines.

Project management tools
Quickly remove unused material from your project and consolidate the project's media into one location for easy archiving with the Project Manager.

Advanced color correction
Use color correction tools to adjust hue, saturation, and lightness for highlights, midtones, and shadows; replace a color throughout a clip with a single selection; and more.

Enhanced audio editing
Produce richer, more vibrant audio using sample-level editing, track-based effects, 5.1 surround sound, and support for VST filters. You’ll get a jump start with a library of included VST plug-ins.

more

Experience unparalleled Adobe integration

Adobe After Effects® integration
Import Adobe Premiere Pro projects into the Adobe After Effects Timeline or copy and paste between the programs, and access After Effects plug-ins within Adobe Premiere Pro.

Adobe Photoshop® integration
Import layered Photoshop files with each layer on a separate track or all on one. Create images in Photoshop to match the specs of your current Adobe Premiere Pro project.

Adobe Encore™ DVD integration
Export AVI and MPEG-2 files to Adobe Encore DVD software to author multilanguage DVDs with interactive menus and multiple audio and subtitle tracks. Timeline markers are recognized as chapter points.

Adobe Audition™ integration
Import high-quality audio files from Adobe Audition software for use in your video productions. Easily modify these files using the Edit Original feature, which lets you open the original multitrack session right in Adobe Audition.