PDA

View Full Version : melted fuel fuse holder

wxnic
07-06-2011, 12:21 AM
our 02 x9 cut out on the lake and all signs pointed to a bad fuel pump. a few dealers said, "yea, bad fuel pump, bring it in - $700" i am not mechanically or electronically inclined, but found the indmar manual and found the fuse holder for the fuel pump, injectors and ecm.

i was able to get the fuse out, plug in a new one and the boat fired right up. so i have a few questions - why did the dealer not have me check the fuse first? where can i get a new "holder" for these fuses? what is the cause of this overload? what is this other connection i found unplugged?

any help is appreciated.

FrankSchwab
07-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Wow - must have taken a lot of current through there to melt it so badly.

Have no idea where to get a new fuseholder. Might be available from Indmar as a replacement item - couldn't hurt to give them a call.

/frank

JimN
07-06-2011, 02:58 AM
our 02 x9 cut out on the lake and all signs pointed to a bad fuel pump. a few dealers said, "yea, bad fuel pump, bring it in - $700" i am not mechanically or electronically inclined, but found the indmar manual and found the fuse holder for the fuel pump, injectors and ecm.

i was able to get the fuse out, plug in a new one and the boat fired right up. so i have a few questions - why did the dealer not have me check the fuse first? where can i get a new "holder" for these fuses? what is the cause of this overload? what is this other connection i found unplugged?

any help is appreciated.

You need to show the cover for the fuse holder. If there's no cover, it wasn't the fuse that caused it to melt, it was outside of the holder, immediately next to it. If it had been the fuse, it would have melted from the inside. If there's no damage to the inside of the black plastic, don't bother replacing it- I doubt you'll find one and you would need to replace the wire terminals using the correct crimper and soldering them.

I would guess that they didn't recommend checking the fuse because they have never seen a fuse holder melt this way- I know I haven't in all the years of working on boats, cars and trucks. If it shuts down without warning, checking the fuse first has been recommended many times but not because it looked like that.

The other harness is the ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link). Put the cover on and leave it- it's not used unless the engine is being connected for diagnostics.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info.

the holder cap is fine. i had it off because you could not see anything from the outside that looked out of norm. it fried around the fuse plug. i had to work to get out the metal leg from the fuse out because it melted off. i just don't want to replace the fuse and think i have the problem taken care of if it's a bigger problem.

thanks again for the replies

SilviaMan
07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Now I'm not a boat technician but I own an automotive shop. Couple of things come to my mind when I see that fuse holder melted.

-fuel pump drawing too much current... IE it being bad.
-undersized terminals on the fuse from the O.E.

If you have a way to check the current draw from the fuel pump it can help determine the root cause.
(chevy pick ups were very prone to this type of failure at the plug on top of the sending unit due to undersized terminals in the connectors... the new pumps come with a pig tail harness and a new style connector on top of the sending unit.)
Is that a mini bus fuse?

JimN
07-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd like to see a photo of the fuse holder looking into the fuse receptacles. Also, I don't think it's the fuel pump fuse that blew- that would be the center fuse, if I'm not mistaken (the fuel pump relay has a pink wire, not yellow and black). Contact the dealer or MC to get the pinout of that fuse holder before replacing anything other than the terminal(s) or fuse holder. If you have a multi-meter, check both terminals for the bad fuse to see which has voltage- then, you'll need to trace the circuit back to the relay fed by that fuse.

Again, I don't think the fuse that blew feeds the fuel pump.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 11:25 AM
thanks guys, i'll post a couple pics when i get a second. i assumed it's the fuel pump fuse because when i cranked before, i could not hear the hum of the fuel pump at all nor could get it started. once i replaced that fuse, it started right up.

Thrall
07-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Did the fuse blow too?
Think Jim's right, the center wires are larger guage and the fuel pump would pull teh most amperage out of the 3 I'd think. Could be the ECM fuse and thent he ECM didn't trigger the fuel pump relay.
Either way, make sure the correct amp rated fuse is back in there, maybe someone stuck a 30 or 40amp fuse and it should only have a 5-10amp.
If the fuse terminal wasn't making good contact that should have been a dead short and no melting. Could it have gotten wet and caused a live short with too big of a fuse?
Glad the boat still works, none of the components hooked up to those fuses are cheap!

JimN
07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
thanks guys, i'll post a couple pics when i get a second. i assumed it's the fuel pump fuse because when i cranked before, i could not hear the hum of the fuel pump at all nor could get it started. once i replaced that fuse, it started right up.

Look at the location of the ECM- if it's directly under the split in the sun deck, make sure it has a metal or plastic cover above it. If it doesn't, disconnect the battery cables (both of them) and remove the plugs from the ECM, looking for evidence of corrosion around the pins. If you see that, contact MC.

The fuse that blew may be the main system fuse, which means it feeds the ECM and because of that, nothing that's controlled by the ECM would have worked. The fuse with the red and orange wires is the ignition system fuse.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 02:46 PM
here are a few more pics. you can see the one blown WERE red and pink.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 03:11 PM
the fuse i replaced was correct(15A) and it was blown. There is a black metal cover over ecm - i believe. forgive my ignorance on some of this.

JimN
07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
here are a few more pics. you can see the one blown WERE red and pink.

OK, now that looks bad and definitely shows that the heat came from the terminal. If the fuse slips in and out easily, that will cause the terminal to get very hot. Since you have a blown fuse, cut it apart and remove one of the tabs so you can find out how loose the terminal is. If it's loose and you want to have the same kind of 3 fuse holder, go to a NAPA store or a GM dealer and see if they have one. If not, and you're OK with it not being OEM but still reliable, buy a fuse holder, some Heat-N Seal shrink tubing and solder the fuse holder to the wires, covering the splices with the shrink tubing. DO NOT use a 3M Scotch Lock fuse holder.

You still need to trace those wires back to the relay they feed. Once you do that, you'll be able to find out where the wires go and address the real problem.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
thanks again for the help. after contacting two indmar service centers, napa, the chevy dealer, none were able to get me just that holder. i was told i have to buy the whole harness. i'll have an electric guy here i know help me take a look at it.

JimN
07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
thanks again for the help. after contacting two indmar service centers, napa, the chevy dealer, none were able to get me just that holder. i was told i have to buy the whole harness. i'll have an electric guy here i know help me take a look at it.

Since they didn't use a single fuse holder for three fuses until '02, is it absolutely necessary to use the same part? I don't think so, although having them sealed from the elements is a good thing. Good connections are far more important than a special fuse holder, IMO.

If your electric guy has access, it's a Packard fuse holder.

wxnic
07-06-2011, 11:18 PM
you are the man. i agree. i'm not that concerned that it's a pretty holder. i had this guy make a connector cable for the back of my xmd1 clarion so i can plug my ipod in now - i'm sure he can help me . thanks again.

MWH925
06-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Does the kill switch shutdown fuel or ignition or both?