PDA

View Full Version : 85 MC fuel leaking down carb

liledgy
07-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I have an 85 MC SLOT. it started idling bad and hard starting I looked down carb and gas was leaking down the front barrels. Started boat and it was still leaking, turned it off again and it finally stopped. I don't know much about carbs so if you could lead me to a good starting point I would appreciate it. I am going to search old threads in the mean time. Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
07-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I have an 85 MC SLOT. it started idling bad and hard starting I looked down carb and gas was leaking down the front barrels. Started boat and it was still leaking, turned it off again and it finally stopped. I don't know much about carbs so if you could lead me to a good starting point I would appreciate it. I am going to search old threads in the mean time. Thanks

Time to rebuild or replace......you have some debris in the needle and seat or a bad float.

woobiedmd
07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
He's 100% correct. I just went through this issue with my '88. I didn't attempt to rebuild mine as others did. I figured after 23 years it was time. Got a rebuild through National Carb in FL. Around $300. Cheaper than a new one. Put it on and changed the oil as well. You could smell the gas in it from flooding the engine so much. Runs great again!:)

Matt L.
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Eventually the venturi clusters in the front half will start leaking. No real good way to permnantly fix them. I went with a marine Edelbrock and it has run better than ever since!

Later,

Matt

liledgy
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'll have to pull it off next time at the lake and do some investigating

Cloaked
07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
He's 100% correct. I just went through this issue with my '88. I didn't attempt to rebuild mine as others did. I figured after 23 years it was time. Got a rebuild through National Carb in FL. Around $300. Cheaper than a new one. Put it on and changed the oil as well. You could smell the gas in it from flooding the engine so much. Runs great again!:)
You may have had good luck with them. A while back there were more than a few here that posted in a thread that Nat'l Carb was not doing good work and not standing behind their product. I have had no dealings with them. Just passing on what was recently a topic of discussion here.