PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Pics

heath124
07-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Been looking on here until Im tired of looking. My wife has even came in and said " ARE YOU STILL ON MASTERCRAFT TALK ". Does anyone have any pics of a 88-90 PS190 with a bimini top on it. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks

d2jp
07-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Been looking on here until Im tired of looking. My wife has even came in and said " ARE YOU STILL ON MASTERCRAFT TALK ". Does anyone have any pics of a 88-90 PS190 with a bimini top on it. Just trying to get some ideas. Thanks

I just purchased an '89 ProStar that had a new bimini....it provides a lot of shade...but I've seen better designs on other's boats. Will try and get a picture of it so you'll know what NOT to buy.

georgea0731
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
I hope these help.

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I've got a new top never put on--so far I haven't been able to bring myself to drilling holes in my 87' Pro Star??????? I wish there was a mfg that had one I didn't have to drill!

nascar
07-06-2011, 05:59 AM
Dino Don , check out Barts Water Sports they sell one called the Fly High Bimini top that does not require drilling ( it clamps to your ski pole ) but it is not cheap ... $699 .

heath124
07-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the pics.Ive seen both of those pics but I thought I have seen one with the bracket mounted on the the angle right behind the end of the windshield but I maybe wrong. Im like you Dino don, mine is a 90 model and I have put off drilling holes in my boat for a while now, but Im sweatin my a$$ off out there. I think Im gonna break down and do it.

mayo93prostar
07-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Man up and drill men! The bimini is a lifesaver when it is hot out. I put one on my 87 and 93 boats. Some advice when drilling, put masking tape over the place to drill to reduce chipping of the fiberglass. can run drill backwards some to reduce chipping. I put through screws with nut and washer on inside instead of regular "wood" screws. One trick is most biminis come with mounts that are intended for a flat horizontal surface but as you see in the two pics above, the surface available to mount on is slanted, almost vertical. I got a stainless angle mount bracket from a local canvas shop that worked very well. You want to locate the mount in the middle of the seating area - fore and aft. Good luck.

Dino Don
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Man, I know about that sweating thing! I bury the nose just to cool off!! I figure you need to have plates made to go underneath for reinforcement--like insurance.

$699 would be a bunch for some kind of clamp on??? Not much of an alternative but drill baby drill!

dski12
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Here is a shot of my 94 Prostar w/ the Fly High Bimini. Sure beats the afternoon heat in Florida. It works great for us. Here is a video if you want to see it in action.
http://www.bare-foot-international.com/bimini.html

jeffbare
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Here is a shot of my 94 Prostar w/ the Fly High Bimini. Sure beats the afternoon heat in Florida. It works great for us. Here is a video if you want to see it in action.
http://www.bare-foot-international.com/bimini.html

I watched the video, does it handle speeds as well as advertised? How easy is it to store?

dski12
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Everything works great for us. It makes less noise than a bimini with straps that vibrates in the wind. I thought the same thing before I bought it. It hardly moves at any speed. It will move if you bump into it. I couldn't find any style of bimini that I was willing to drill into the boat for. One thing I need to do is to get some bungee cords to hold it closed if I take it down. When you take the top off it folds into thirds. I just need something to hold it together when it is collapsed. I keep it in the boat next to the engine box. The two support poles come out with a couple of pins. Hope this helps. You can come to Florida and check it out!!!

d2jp
07-06-2011, 11:30 PM
This bimini came with my boat. IMO, it sets too high (although is easy to walk under) and doesn't keep w/ the lines of the boat. Also, the rear struts rest in rubber cups that are attached aft - they are always getting pulled out by the rope.

I would have preferred a bimini that stores forward of the windshield, but I'll have to work with this one.

I'm going to do some surgery on this one...and am open to ideas...let me hear your thoughts.

BrianM
07-07-2011, 09:45 AM
This bimini came with my boat. IMO, it sets too high (although is easy to walk under) and doesn't keep w/ the lines of the boat. Also, the rear struts rest in rubber cups that are attached aft - they are always getting pulled out by the rope.

I would have preferred a bimini that stores forward of the windshield, but I'll have to work with this one.

I'm going to do some surgery on this one...and am open to ideas...let me hear your thoughts.
That top needs to come down at least a foot. I have a thread around here somewhere about cutting tops down. let me find it.

Edit: Here you go. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16065&highlight=bimini

You could remove those rear poles and go to straps around the hand rail but I did like having the solid poles in back on my '88 although they were much farther forward. About even with the pylon so they didnt get in the way of the rope.

d2jp
07-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks BrianM. Going to lake for a few days, will take my pipe cutter and see what happens!

ahhudgins
07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Not a Prostar, but there are many ways to mount a bimini. I just did my Maristar last weekend and I love it. When it's 95 degrees in VA it's usually humid as well. I'll bet it's 20 degrees cooler under the bimini....definitely worth the time and money.

Mine is a used MC bimini that mounts to the inside of the windshield frame but I removed the quick mounts and bought the rail mounts that are screwed to the top of the windshield. Overtons has any kind of bimini mount you can think off. When they are done correctly they look really nice and are very functional. I installed a tower on the 87 Prostar I used to own so drilling was no big deal for me. Just BE CAREFUL AND TAKE YOUR TIME!!

east tx skier
07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Since we aren't limiting it to the 87--90 range, ...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/CIMG2598.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/MasterCraft%20Pro%20Star%20205%20For%20Sale/SideBimini.jpg

heath124
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
What brand is yours east tx or did you modify one to look like that.

d2jp
07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I like the windshield mount, I assume the frame is strong enough to support the bimini while under way?

east tx skier - my bimini is similar to that white one - only two supports. I could probably make mine look very similar to that w/ a windshield mount, and still use the rear braces to keep it up out of the way when not in use (it won't fold forward over windshield. I'd have some holes to patch....maybe Marinetex w/ a dab of hull-matching gelcoat over?

ahhudgins....I'm also in VA, near SML - alternate between here and Lake Gaston in NC.