PDA

View Full Version : Boat driving schools/clinics in the central U.S.?

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Most of the time, it's just Deb and I at the lake. She's only been driving the boat for a couple of years and is still scared to death she'll mess up, crash, run me over, etc....She has zero confidence in her driving skills and is terrified that she will crash into another boat to the point where if a boat crosses our path (regardless of how far away) she will just cut power and my run is finished.
She is too afraid to drive the boat onto the trailer and cannot comprehend backing the trailer. We've worked out a system for loading / unloading that's fast, but it would be nice for her to get over these fears. I have taken it as far as I can, yesterday while on the water she asked about attending a boat driving school / clinic. While I'm 100% behind this idea, I have no clue where to look. All the searches I've tried have turned up zilch.

Any ideas or schools would be greatly appreciated.

oxberger
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Me thinks there's money to be made here :-) I've looked for the same thing for my wife, but came up with zilch here in TN. I may start a boat driving school, which would include trailering, boat driving instructions, water safety with and witout a skier.

pmkkdx
07-05-2011, 03:04 PM
did a quick search ... http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Boating/Boating-Education/Class-Schedule

might contact directly to the Kansas Dept of Wildlife & Parks and discuss http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Boating/Boating-Contacts

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Me thinks there's money to be made here :-) I've looked for the same thing for my wife, but came up with zilch here in TN. I may start a boat driving school, which would include trailering, boat driving instructions, water safety with and witout a skier.

How about a wife swap for boat driving instruction?

J/K

Well,...maybe :D

oxberger
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Much like how Joey on friends doesn't share food... I don't share my wife (but I don't mind her getting looks!).

Regarding the boating class w/ the KDofWP, if it's anything like the boating class in MD, it's a great class, but no hands on instruction.

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 03:20 PM
The online class seems to be the only option from the State. She needs hands on in the water and pulling skiers.

supturb89
07-05-2011, 03:52 PM
I would be willing to participate in the wife swap. Mine has the exact same reservations as yours Mark. Trying to teach my wife is like trying to bear-hug a hornets nest.

pmkkdx
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM

you may have an opportunity there!

I find it somewhat odd that there are similar types of training offered for new motorcycle riders thru the Motorcycle Safety Foundation but not for new boaters except thru each participating state's parks & wildlife departments that does not have hands on behind the wheel training.

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Hmmmmm

I have lots of acreage with open fields to learn backing a trailer along with a large circular drive, the local COE lake is rarely busy before noon and there are a couple of nice hotels (meaning rustic) and B&B's close by.

I'd still need to send SWMBO elsewhere though!

jeffbare
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Tres Martin has a school designed for performance boats, but if there was enough interest I bet he would do something for the slower boats.

Link: http://www.performanceboatschool.com/index.php

I know several people that have taken his course.

Jerseydave
07-05-2011, 06:09 PM
If you have a ski club near you, maybe enlist one of thier best drivers to teach your wife the proper way to drive a ski boat.

There were always helpful people in the ski clubs that I belonged to in the past.

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
One of the downfalls to living in the sticks...nothing is close by!

Although, since she works at KSU, maybe she could get the ski team to teach her!

TxsRiverRat
07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
This thread is worthless without wife pics...

JLowder
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
This thread is worthless without wife pics...

I agree! If a wife swap is being discussed, I think we all should at least get a peak on the goods being discussed.