PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Reads Full

gabehonda
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Any help on where to start would be great .... Gauge isn't stuck because when you turn off power , it goes to empty ... but it reads FULL all the time... it was reading full and knew we had been out boarding 2 times on the same tank... ended up putting in about 17 gallons in it .... what should i look at or check ....thanks

kskonn
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
What year and what model boat?

this happened to me and it was becaure my floater was stuck in the full position inside the gas tank, put in a new floater and it worked fine. It could also be a bad sender causing the guage to read incorrectly.

gabehonda
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Boat is a 2000 Xstar .

ski/hunt
07-05-2011, 05:53 PM
New fuel sender time. Call skidim

Cobra Rob
07-05-2011, 06:12 PM
mine is doing near the same.. It finally dropped down to the full mark but it took 40gals so it should have been much closer to 1/2 tank.. Just filling it up everytime for right now

gabehonda
07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
so nothing really that could be shorted out sounds like....... just buy new sending unit ?

Brian B
07-06-2011, 11:31 AM
My boat does the same. As soon as it moves off of full, I'm running out of gas!

TonyB
07-06-2011, 11:52 AM
**** Smart A$$ Alert *****

Fuel PUMP reads Full?

I go by what my Fuel GAUGE tells me.

**** Smart A$$ Alert Off ****

Apologies to all

wrobins1
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
If you are looking for a fuel sending unit you may want to check www.greatlakesskipper.com as well their prices were significantly lower when I ordered my last week.

silverblueBP
07-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Those Centroid sending units are adjustable. You adjust it when it's Full and Empty, then it should read correctly at all levels (assuming it still works). It takes a #1 Phillips screwdriver.

gabehonda
07-06-2011, 10:59 PM
how would i try to adjust it ? from the top or the part actually in the tank .

Fuel PUMP reads Full? Yes , Yes , I know title is wrong...

I go by what my Fuel GAUGE tells me.

**** Smart A$$ Alert Off ****

Apologies to all

silverblueBP
07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
I can access the top of the sending unit in my 96 by removing the tow hook. I can also get to it from under, but it's a pita. Check it when the tank is almost empty. Adjust the "empty" side of the sender, then fill it up and adjust the "full" side of the sender.

I have the same type of sending unit in the fuel cell of my track car.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/2wire.htm

-V-
07-13-2011, 09:33 PM
can they be modified to fit? I went to great lakes skipper and I found ones that are similar but none the same. They sell them for about $18 plus 7 bucks to ship which is a lot cheaper than $160, can it be done?:confused:

-V-
07-14-2011, 08:13 AM
i hope someone can answer this.

jvbaca
07-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Those Centroid sending units are adjustable. You adjust it when it's Full and Empty, then it should read correctly at all levels (assuming it still works). It takes a #1 Phillips screwdriver.

Do tell, can you show where? I'll also look this up if I can find their website and additional info, but any help you can provide would probably aid more than just the couple of people reading this post currently (all the future readers would love this information).

Mgboyd25
07-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I am having the same issue with my boat aswell, Does anyone know what size fuel sending unit would go into a X7/197, I am guessing a 7 inch but wasn't sure

-V-
07-14-2011, 08:32 PM
This is what I did,

Called the MC dealer in washington, because everything here is closed by the time i get home from work and actually start to work on the boat.

They cross referenced the hull # to what I need.

They gave me the part number, MC P/N 153270, ad told me it was $97 plus shipping.

So i kindly said i would think about it.

I cross referenced that on the internet and found it to be a Moeller P/N 395075

Searched for it in the net and found it for $20.19 shipped to my door. I just ordered it and now I am waiting for it now.

:)

jvbaca
07-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Save yourselves some money and do it at home! I'm going to try this next time I need to fill up.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/sensor.htm

CC2MC
11-12-2013, 12:16 AM
I cross referenced that on the internet and found it to be a Moeller P/N 395075

Searched for it in the net and found it for $20.19 shipped to my door. I just ordered it and now I am waiting for it now.

:)

I looked for this particular part number on Google and other than ebay, really didn't come up with much. I know it has been a couple years, but do you remember the site where you ordered yours from?

Or does anyone know of a better alternative? I currently have the MC 153270 sending unit. Everything I have found is either too short or too long or too expensive. I would rather not pay whatever the dealer is asking, but I would also like the correct one, which is the exact one you previously had. Thanks for the help.

Snipe
11-12-2013, 06:54 AM
I replaced my Centroid unit last year also. With the same unit. Be aware that you MUST use the same gas that was used when the unit was calibrated. If you switch between gas with 10% ethanol or non ethanol premium you WILL get false readings. I had a nonadjustable sender so I had to calibrate it myself. You pull the connector apart half way (at the tank) and bridge the two pins (shorting them out) with a 33 ohm resistor from Radio Shack while someone turns the ign. key on for (I think is was a count of six) and then turn it off quickly. Done. Mine works great. Good luck...

CC2MC
11-12-2013, 08:05 AM
I replaced my Centroid unit last year also. With the same unit. Be aware that you MUST use the same gas that was used when the unit was calibrated. If you switch between gas with 10% ethanol or non ethanol premium you WILL get false readings. I had a nonadjustable sender so I had to calibrate it myself. You pull the connector apart half way (at the tank) and bridge the two pins (shorting them out) with a 33 ohm resistor from Radio Shack while someone turns the ign. key on for (I think is was a count of six) and then turn it off quickly. Done. Mine works great. Good luck...

Thanks for the info Snipe. I know I have different gas than when I first got the boat when it was working, plus I added the gas treatment to it. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I am reading just above the empty line when the unit is in or out of the tank. I will see if I can do a reset to calibrate it. Why the resistor? The other instructions just sat put a jumper but doesn't mention the resistor.

Snipe
11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
I put some gas into a dish-soap bottle to the max. then set the sender into it so the gas comes up to where you want your gauge to read full. That's where you short it out. Send me your e-mail address via PM and I will see if I can find the instructions the engineer at Centroid sent me and forward them to you.