PDA

View Full Version : Lake Erie + Fireworks + Big Boats = HANG ON!!!

-V-
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
So I decided to watch the fireworks on the 4th. Figured I would launch my boat and drive over to the river mouth and watch them close. I also figured I would drive along the river and see the city from the water. Holy Cow, never again that close. So as the fireworks blew and were real nice, and loud I might add, the particles came down on me, my wife, kids, and the boat. So now my boat is filled with debris from the fireworks. So after the fireworks, every boat that was just sitting there, all of them well over 25 feet, decided they wanted to go to the same dock I launched at, which was 4 miles from where I was, they kicked up Lake Erie like you have never seen, they were rocking the water so much that other boats were disappearing in the water then they would reappear. 4 miles in the dark, big waves, can't see, wife freaking out, kids having a good time, father in law saying "thatís how you have to learn" and me going what the heck. The debris in Erie wasn't that bad, in the river you have to watch out for beer bottles, liquor bottles, logs, rail road ties, allot of different stuff. Inside the break wall you need to stay at least 50 feet away from shore so you don't hit the other debris in there.

But all in all, it was worth it.
:cool:

aaron.
07-05-2011, 09:25 AM
So I decided to watch the fireworks on the 4th. Figured I would launch my boat and drive over to the river mouth and watch them close. I also figured I would drive along the river and see the city from the water. Holy Cow, never again that close. So as the fireworks blew and were real nice, and loud I might add, the particles came down on me, my wife, kids, and the boat. So now my boat is filled with debris from the fireworks. So after the fireworks, every boat that was just sitting there, all of them well over 25 feet, decided they wanted to go to the same dock I launched at, which was 4 miles from where I was, they kicked up Lake Erie like you have never seen, they were rocking the water so much that other boats were disappearing in the water then they would reappear. 4 miles in the dark, big waves, can't see, wife freaking out, kids having a good time, father in law saying "thatís how you have to learn" and me going what the heck. The debris in Erie wasn't that bad, in the river you have to watch out for beer bottles, liquor bottles, logs, rail road ties, allot of different stuff. Inside the break wall you need to stay at least 50 feet away from shore so you don't hit the other debris in there.

hahaha favorite part. sounds like quite the adventure!

redwings0921
07-05-2011, 09:41 AM
we almost went to the ones in lbi(NJ) yesterday, but everyone with a boat goes. it is very shallow bay, so being knocked around in an open bow boat in the dark in a shallow bay does not sound like a fun time.

scott023
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
We stayed on shore for our fireworks here last Friday. About 150 boats piled onto the main beach area of out lake for them, way to much of a cluster puck for me to be on the water for. The wallys were out in full force.

-V-
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM
we were tied up about 100 yards from where they were firing them off, it was nice.

Double D
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Another reason why I stay inland... :) Glad you made it out ok..

gabehonda
07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
i have done the same thing here in Toledo on lake Erie .... wind changes and Erie kicks up fast. Now i stay to the smaller town fireworks up river to watch from the boat.... much nicer and not the crazy setting.