PDA

View Full Version : Signing in......

02ProstarSammyD
07-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Well guys, time to sign in, the 5th most expensive thing in my life is being towed behind the 4th most expensive thing of my life. Was pulled to the lake this weekend by someone who realizes that a boat is a boat (me).

Despite not spending thousands in dealer maintinence, this pos keeps putting hours on under its own power.

It failed me on my first time on the water in 2011, its maiden voyage, and has attempted to ruin 2 vacations. 1 booster pump, 1 steering cable, 1 oil pressure sending unit, and undersized kinked fuel lines (not factory), and hesitations which were all analyzed by TeamTalk and fixed in my driveway.

But all this is my fault, I scrimped , went cheap, and bought a used Mastercraft, the best of the best instead of paying 90k for a knockoff of a classic. Its amazing that I can even keep up with all these amazingly overpriced boats on the lake.

But, I will never miss some things. I will never miss carrying around tools in the boat and actually realizing that a boat is a boat. I will never miss carrying around extra relays and fuses and actually being prepared. Never miss running into Raleigh on thursday mornings picking up parts because I actually analyzed problems before the holiday weekend.

I should have dumped this back on the private seller after the first failure because I know that everything in life is perfect and you should never have to repair anything. I am also currently in a lawsuit because a pipe in my house broke. Yes its 23 years old and the builder retired 15 ago but gosh darnit things just don't break in life.

So what is the point of all this? Maybe somebody saving for a Malibu or a Moomba will learn from this, and think again. You can save 75% of the money, buy used, and use the plentiful knowledge from the people at Teamtalk to learn things and analyze problems yourself while still owning a mother loving mastercraft.

So my new boat is a 2002 Prostar. It manages to pull up boarders 99.9% of the time and the 10% of time at home when I'm working on it with this knowledge I pay myself 85.00/hr and smile with the joy of the fact I did it myself.

Sometimes if something isn't quite right I check into this silly teamtalk thing and find out what an issue is and fix it. Sometimes I even just check up on maintinence. Whatever the reason this site is here and Mastercraft's are still the boat to have.........even though in actuality they are still really boats.

Thanks guys!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
Nice rebuttal...

supturb89
07-05-2011, 08:33 AM
You mean you have to do maintenance on these things????:eek:

kskonn
07-05-2011, 08:56 AM
First of all great post! Second of all, I think 85 dollars an hour is a little cheap, you should give yourself a raise.

aaron.
07-05-2011, 09:22 AM
thank you for this. that other dude's post made me pretty salty.

=)

BallBushing
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
02 Pro,

While at the lake this weekend I read "Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA)" Even though my boat went Out of Order, I'm looking forward to learning how to replace a fuel pump. What an opportunity, never done it before.

Liked your post.

02ProstarSammyD
07-05-2011, 09:53 AM
^ Yea I just got new fuel lines b/c the P.O kept the in tank 1/4" line with an external pump. Reran all the lines. Ended up getting towed in 50' saturday due to a kinked line. Found the kink and was back on the lake in 30min. Was scheduled to have 8 people on the boat sunday. So basically if I wouldn't have gone out saturday I would have had that prob on sunday and been embarrased. Its all about how you look at it. And PS the fuel pump is an easy swap out imho.

scott023
07-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Great piece of writing. Well done.

TxsRiverRat
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
So, are items #1, 2 and 3:

1. Wife
2. Kids
3. House

?

MC

02ProstarSammyD
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
1. House
2. Kids
3. Girlfriend/ex wife/lawyer for ex wife combo
4. Yukon
5. Boat

2 will prob pass 1 shortly, 3 is running up on #2, and #5 is giving #4 a run for its money. By the end of the season I project a diff set of standings. Its kind of like picking football playoff teams in march.

GoneBoatN
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
...the plentiful knowledge from the people at Teamtalk to ...

To which we all owe many thanks for thier assistance. Not to mention: doesn`t cost us $0.01, and the fellowship of fellow boaters. I've belonged to other boating forums and found this to be true there as well. Some of us love boats (and boating) for all the warts which are greatly out-weighted by the enjoyment.

I owend and old boat and I now owned a new boat (although now used by me :)). In both cases I've crawled into the engine compartment and throughout the rest of the boat to learn what I could lean about the machine that was going to take my family and me onto the water. I take responsibility, in either case of doing the work myself or having someone else do the work, to know my boat and I are prepared as can be for our next outing.

Old or new, boats need TLC - this will not vary by brand.

I think the orignal thread has some merit to some degree (however small). If you are not enjoying what you are doing, figure out a way to fix that. Don't make life more difficult than what it needs to be. The OP of the other thread just had a misguided way of expressing that. It was very unfortunate the he dumped on the very people who try to make the experience even better.

For me, I can't wait until the next time I'm on the water again with my boat and I just love my mastercraft (perhaps a little too much):D

Thrall
07-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Old or new, boats need TLC - this will not vary by brand.

I think the orignal thread has some merit to some degree (however small). If you are not enjoying what you are doing, figure out a way to fix that. ):D

Yes.
I sort of thought upgrading from my '96 MC to an '06 would result in less maint.
Not that the old boat was ever unreliable (after I fixed an issue I knew about when I bought it), but the new one takes just as much time to maintain, fix little stuff, probably more because it has more gadgets.
They ALL need work and the better shape you keep them in, generally the better they will work.

TxsRiverRat
07-05-2011, 04:17 PM
1. House
2. Kids
3. Girlfriend/ex wife/lawyer for ex wife combo
4. Yukon
5. Boat

2 will prob pass 1 shortly, 3 is running up on #2, and #5 is giving #4 a run for its money. By the end of the season I project a diff set of standings. Its kind of like picking football playoff teams in march.

ROFL! I can totally relate all too well!

:uglyhamme

03geetee
07-05-2011, 06:01 PM
This is a great site with great people who own great boats.

What else can you ask for.

Team Talk has helped this guy more then once and is the reason I actually bought one.

JTR