PDA

View Full Version : My 1st wildlife ticket!

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Well, after many years got my first ticket from the Wildlife Officer today. Was loading up and he came up and asked for my registration. Then asked about my letters on the frt of the boat. He said they needed to be a contrast so they would stand out and he couldn't read them. Said he had to use binockulers (sp?) to see them.

I told him that today 24 years ago I picked this boat up (7/04/1987) and it had always had the same color letters on it (black on a red background) and I had never been asked about them ever. He said guess he was the first one doing his job--- He then said-this boat is 24 years old? I said sure was and he said he first thought it was new because he couldn't see the reg. numbers. That part made me feel good--but he did write me a warning ticket and I have to change the color of the numbers!

What color should I use?? Could use white, grey, or silver I guess but ?????

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/rioo68/IMG_0579.jpg

Bert
07-05-2011, 12:27 AM
Still a nice boat after 24 years eh! Those are classic. White letters would look good.

broncotw
07-05-2011, 12:48 AM
I would use the color of the lower hull (grey or white -- I cannot tell from the picture)!!!

snork
07-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Still a nice boat after 24 years eh! Those are classic. White letters would look good.

I think their Keystone Classics

DJ 50
07-05-2011, 12:55 AM
At least it was only a warning ticket. I second the idea to go with the same color as the hull.
It's binoculars by the way.

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 01:20 AM
At least it was only a warning ticket. I second the idea to go with the same color as the hull.
It's binoculars by the way.

Thanks on the spell check--yeah, I guess grey and when I look at the picture it is hard to read but it worked for a long time!!! The state sticker on the other side is bright colors you can't really miss it.

Covi
07-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Well, after many years got my first ticket from the Wildlife Officer today. Was loading up and he came up and asked for my registration. Then asked about my letters on the frt of the boat. He said they needed to be a contrast so they would stand out and he couldn't read them. Said he had to use binockulers (sp?) to see them.

I told him that today 24 years ago I picked this boat up (7/04/1987) and it had always had the same color letters on it (black on a red background) and I had never been asked about them ever. He said guess he was the first one doing his job--- He then said-this boat is 24 years old? I said sure was and he said he first thought it was new because he couldn't see the reg. numbers. That part made me feel good--but he did write me a warning ticket and I have to change the color of the numbers!

What color should I use?? Could use white, grey, or silver I guess but ?????

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu353/rioo68/IMG_0579.jpg

I had had the same issue. Black number / letter on red back ground. I think the boat made it 3-4 years until one day someone felt like being a tough guy and made me change them. Sorry tough girl. Her name was Kara I / she wont forget it!

BriEOD
07-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I'd go with white.

trickskier
07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I would go with gray to match the hull.

Iskidaily
07-05-2011, 10:09 AM
pretty boat! go grey

aaron.
07-05-2011, 10:31 AM
after 24 years only 1 warning? I'd just leave them the way they are. that ***'bag knows you're legit now, so why change them?

i wouldn't let him bend you over; especially considering you are running legal. Black on Red is contrasting enough.

He's just salty that he got busted with his pants down, making a rookie mistake.

pmkkdx
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM
another vote for gray to match the lower hull

JohnE
07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Another vote for gray. I think the guy was right, they are not very visible. And did the right thing by not ticketing you.

silverblueBP
07-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Being color blind, I can understand the problem with the numbers blending in. Maybe if they just had a white outline similar to what I have on mine.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss41/silverblueBP/Water%20Skiing/IMG_4400Large.jpg

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss41/silverblueBP/Water%20Skiing/778453203_photobucket_72259_.jpg

scott023
07-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I would use the color of the lower hull (grey or white -- I cannot tell from the picture)!!!

I agree. Lower hull color is the way to go.

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I agree. Lower hull color is the way to go.

The lower hull color is a light grey--never thought about an outline color----

scott023
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
The lower hull color is a light grey--never thought about an outline color----

The light grey will stand out nicely on the red, and will maintain the color combo of the boat.

DJ 50
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
after 24 years only 1 warning? I'd just leave them the way they are. that ***'bag knows you're legit now, so why change them?

i wouldn't let him bend you over; especially considering you are running legal. Black on Red is contrasting enough.

He's just salty that he got busted with his pants down, making a rookie mistake.

The cop might have been being a little tough but looking at the picture I would say he is right. I wouldn't say the boat owner is legal at all. I would be willing to bet if he did get a ticket and brought that pic in to court to try to fight it, he would loose.

ctjahn
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I noticed after I put mine on that the letters (according to the Wisconsin DNR Boat Regs) should be plain block letters (I dont have the wording in front of me.)

Anyone get busted for fancy script?

Cj

pmkkdx
07-05-2011, 02:33 PM
The cop might have been being a little tough but looking at the picture I would say he is right. I wouldn't say the boat owner is legal at all. I would be willing to bet if he did get a ticket and brought that pic in to court to try to fight it, he would loose.

not to mention the fact that the next time out or during this summer, the same water patrol person might see you again and not give you a warning next go round ...

houtexX30
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I noticed after I put mine on that the letters (according to the Wisconsin DNR Boat Regs) should be plain block letters (I dont have the wording in front of me.)

Anyone get busted for fancy script?

Cj

I didn't get busted for it but got a warning. Don't have any pics of the lettering but the dude was kinda being an a$$hole and said he couldn't tell the difference in the 7 and the T. He did say the law requires plain block letters though.

Hollywood
07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
The law around here is pretty clear, I'd definitely change them now that they are on to you.

The registration number and decals must be displayed as follows.

Numbers must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel.
Number must be read from left to right.
Number must be in at least 3˝-high BLOCK letters.
Number’s color must contrast with its background.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space at least two inches wide.
Decals must be affixed three inches behind (towards the stern) and in line with the number.

ctjahn
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
I didn't get busted for it but got a warning. Don't have any pics of the lettering but the dude was kinda being an a$$hole and said he couldn't tell the difference in the 7 and the T. He did say the law requires plain block letters though.

I dont expect any warnings.... Just a ticket. Example: Last year was my first time back on the water in 10 years. (It has been a long time....) Well, apparently I needed a refresh on the Wisconsin DNR regs. Got two tickets (no warnings); and he was looking for more....(checking every open orafice). One for the battery terminals not being covered - the way I got the boat and I didnt even think about it; and one for riding on the rail (just putting).

I explained I was a bit rusty on the rules because it has been 10 years since I was on the lake. He said I should have read and understood the rules because they come with registration... (registration was transferred from previous owner but I wasnt going to argue as it appeared he was ready to haul me in)

I guess....

Cj

GoneBoatN
07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Nice boat! I'd go with white, maybe splurge and go with some that have a black outline which matches the windshield frame.

I need to put some decent numbers/letters on mine as well.

Rockman
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
...(according to the Wisconsin DNR)...

Don't even get me started with their stupid rules and how they twist and turn everything, trying to give you a ticket while more or less just harassing you. What a joke!

Had a Richard Head pull us over once and he was questioning us (all experienced skiers and all adults) about life vest rules, fire extinguisher rules, etc. just trying to get me to fall short of a positive answer.

He tried to tell us that the "law" required any person on a boat to wear a PFD. So I opened the glove box, pulled out the book and asked him to show me wear it says that other than "boat owners must provide PFDs for each person in the boat, etc."

Not sure who is worse, the DNR or the jet skiers...

DemolitionMan
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The law around here is pretty clear, I'd definitely change them now that they are on to you.

The registration number and decals must be displayed as follows.

Numbers must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel.
Number must be read from left to right.
Number must be in at least 3˝-high BLOCK letters.
Number’s color must contrast with its background.
Letters must be separated from the numbers by a space at least two inches wide.
Decals must be affixed three inches behind (towards the stern) and in line with the number.

Do you think that if a boat was flying past you on the water that you could actually make out there numbers. Here are a few pics that I took this weekend of MC's see if you can make out the numbers.

jkski
07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Had the same thing happen back in 08 just after I put a nice set of letters/numbers on the boat. The DNR guy must have been having a very slow day as he chose to patrol the boaters swim area where all of the families anchor for the day and made his way to us while we asleep in the sun. Long story short, I ended up having to change mine over and went with a set of "Domed Numbers" that are black with a silverish outline.

Not to jack the thread but I had an even better one a couple of weeks ago. Overcast, cool, windy day and we had just finished. We pulled the boat out of the water and proceeded over to the parking area to unload and wipedown when a park ranger rolls up to us and askes why we were going down the road with people in the boat (there were 2 people in the boat from the ramp to parking lot). I initially thought she was kidding however she was not and she proceeded to inform me that it was illegal to have anyone in the boat once the boat leaves the water....even though the parking area is less than 300 feet away. She stated that "TECHNICALLY" you are to stop once the boat leaves the water and get everyone out then proceed, however, she stated "THEY ALLOW" one person in the boat just to make things easier. I informed her that we had never heard of such a rule and that I could easily understand it if we were "going down the road" however we were in the parking lot and I proceeded to ask her if she was ready to handle to back-up of traffic and PO'd boaters if they actually enforced the so called rule as a traffic jam of epic proportion could take place on a nice hot sunny day when tempers are ready to flare!!!

No ticket, but interesting nonetheless.

JohnnyB
07-05-2011, 05:11 PM
My vote is hull color......

aaron.
07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Don't even get me started with their stupid rules and how they twist and turn everything, trying to give you a ticket while more or less just harassing you. What a joke!

Had a Richard Head pull us over once and he was questioning us (all experienced skiers and all adults) about life vest rules, fire extinguisher rules, etc. just trying to get me to fall short of a positive answer.

He tried to tell us that the "law" required any person on a boat to wear a PFD. So I opened the glove box, pulled out the book and asked him to show me wear it says that other than "boat owners must provide PFDs for each person in the boat, etc."

Not sure who is worse, the DNR or the jet skiers...

So true.

anyone who says black on red isn't contrasting is nuts. A tax paying citizen, who isn't breaking the law, shouldn't have to bend over for a power tripping warden.

Aric'sX15
07-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I got the same warning! except my numbers are color matched to the boat. They have nothing better to do besides pick out whatever they can to harass me. last weekend it was " disorderly conduct, too loud of music"

Thrall
07-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I got the same warning! except my numbers are color matched to the boat. They have nothing better to do besides pick out whatever they can to harass me. last weekend it was " disorderly conduct, too loud of music"

It was probably the loud hissing noise from your speakers he didn't like! Should get that fixed.:D

Thrall
07-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Knock on wood, no ticket, but cpl yrs ago right after we got the X2, got pulled over 3x on the same little lake in one day. 1st time, "safety check" and to hassle me about the out of state reg #'s. 2nd time to try to bust my wife for pulling me into the no ski zone. She was making a good 90deg turn before the no ski zone when I wiped out, so she throttled down and turned around in the no ski area. By the time the d-bag was done and I was freezing in the water we all ahd drifted into the no ski area and the piece of cr@p wouldn't let her tow me out, had to get back in the boat!
3rd time, 2nd shift of fish cops does another safety check!

All teh while there's a bunch of jetskis running every direction jumping wakes and some tool bag in a 25' cuddy doing full speed figure 8's for an hour at a time on a small lake!

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, I went by the sign company and ordered another set of numbers in Grey--guess its easier to comply and be done with it besides Game Warden has the "stick" to call the shots. Besides, I might like the hull color on the letters......but after 24 years I thought the black was OK--

As to the above post about jet skiers--I have threatened to put the boom bar on and see how many I could take off those things????? I have almost been hit and I'm sure others have also.

Thanks for the input!

onejdgreen
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I think you'll like the grey on there, should like nice.

I guess I have been lucky, knock on wood, that I have never even been ticketed by the DNR, boating, hunting, or fishing. If your doing nothing wrong or illegal, I guess I just look at it as they are just doing there jobs. Last summer when leaving a lake late one night we got stopped by the DNR and the deputy sheriff on the ramp. Apparently another boat similar to mine had a close call with another boat and got called in to them. They gave all of us breathalayzers, checked the boat inside and out and let us go. Like I said, just doing there jobs...

Thrall
07-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Would suck getting a breathalyzer after having a few on the lake for someone elses screw up.

onejdgreen
07-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Would suck getting a breathalyzer after having a few on the lake for someone elses screw up.

Trust me, we were all sweating bullets!!! I have no idea how my brother and I didn't blow over the limit... We weren't drunk by any means, we had been on the water for a few hours and had just left the marina after having supper and a couple more beers.

rspiecha
07-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I vote for doomed numbers with white letters, with think black surround, and chrome to finish the sides off.

Rob