PDA

View Full Version : Random Vibration, then Gone

UrbantuxTN
07-04-2011, 10:42 PM
While out on the lake today we were cruising at ~20mph 3000rpm and there was a random vibration, brought the boat into neutral back into gear and it was till there.

My first thought was that I hit something and bent a blade. I killed the engine jumped off the boat and checked the blade (by feel). Didn't notice anything and nothing was wrapped around the prop or drive shaft. Jumped back in the boat, cranked it up and started going. No vibration or anything. Me and my brother in law got about 3 crappy runs in each (chop was ridiculous).

My question is what could have caused this vibration. It was really bad and very noticeable.

chico
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Probably Seaweed

UrbantuxTN
07-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Not a lot of seaweed in Ft Loudon, I was thinking I may have picked up a plastic bag that came off when I jumped in. Would that be enough to make it vibrate to where everyone on the boat could feel it?

JLeuck64
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
We occasionally will get a twig or small branch stuck in the drivetrain and it will cause the same symptoms you're describing. Usually can vary the throttle just a bit and it will free itself, sometimes it is necessary to come to a stop. Always amazes me how little debris it takes to cause a vibration...