PDA

View Full Version : 87 ProStar Ignition ?

lakeview190
07-04-2011, 08:41 PM
My 87 with a 351 indmar uses a screw down prestolite type cap, but the rotor, condenser, points... are the Mallory type. Any one familiar with why this is and will it make a difference as to what type of electronic ignition I upgrade to (still not sure if I should)? First noticed this when I ordered a tune up kit for it. Thanks

Cloaked
07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
My 87 with a 351 indmar uses a screw down prestolite type cap, but the rotor, condenser, points... are the Mallory type. Any one familiar with why this is and will it make a difference as to what type of electronic ignition I upgrade to (still not sure if I should)? First noticed this when I ordered a tune up kit for it. Thankswww.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com)

A good upgrade.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
My 87 with a 351 indmar uses a screw down prestolite type cap, but the rotor, condenser, points... are the Mallory type. Any one familiar with why this is and will it make a difference as to what type of electronic ignition I upgrade to (still not sure if I should)? First noticed this when I ordered a tune up kit for it. Thanks

Mallory ignition uses the stock type cap, it has nothing to do with the ei conversion. I used the mallory ei on my 89 works fine and uses stock cap I dont think ei will be much different between the different brands..