PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Prostar 190 Won't Idle

nwhittuk10
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey all, first off I would like to thank everyone on here for always helping me with my boating problems...it has been very nice. I come with another problem unfortunately. I took my boat out on Kentucky Lake the other day for the holiday and it ran fine for about 30 minutes. Once I parked it for a while I tried starting it back up and it would fire, but not idle. I tried starting it some more and it continued to die while idling. I finally was able to get it in gear and I drove it a couple of miles to get it back to the dock.

When I was about 200 yards away it started feeling like it was getting bogged down I guess you could say. What I mean is that it seemed like it had full power and then all of a sudden when I tried to speed it up it just kept about the same speed even while I was giving it more throttle. I stopped and let it sit for a while. It then ran perfectly fine and even idled for another couple of minutes, but then died right before I was about to put it on the trailer...go figure. To me in seems like something must be going out on it since it still sometimes is working, but I can't even begin to guess as to what it is. Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Once again thanks!

Dino Don
07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
1990 model I guess should be Ford 351 with Holley carb. I have put a couple of kits in mine (had boat 24 years) but still would take a wild hair from time to time and not idle like it should. Purchased the power valve check ball kit and installed on my carb and replaced the power valve and it runs like a new one. Actually runs the best it has for a long time--my biggest problem was idling issues.

If your power valve is blown which it probably is, then put a kit in it and put the check ball kit in it for starters and see what you have.

nwhittuk10
07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks. Where did you go about getting the kit and the power valve? Also where would I locate the power valve? I don't think I am familiar with that. Thanks.

Dino Don
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks. Where did you go about getting the kit and the power valve? Also where would I locate the power valve? I don't think I am familiar with that. Thanks.

Go to Holley web site and look it up--the kit--and then they have the power valves also. The valve is located inside the carb. You can go to Amazon and they have Holley carb parts and they are cheaper there than on the Holley site.