PDA

View Full Version : What cover to use?

Tuna Cowboy
07-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I have rented a dock at the lake and I leave the boat in for a couple weeks at a time. Just wondering what cover is the best to use when I am done of it for the night. What I have been doing lately is putting the 2 snap on covers after I am done. But I am wondering if I should put the Rankin cover on instead. Most times the carpet in a little damp from use and I feel that maybe I am trapping to much heat and moisture in there by using the snap on covers and may have a little better air flow with the Rankin. Are those Rankin covers waterproof? I just don't want a thunder storm rolling in and all the water seeping thru that cover and soaking the carpets. I have been trying to get back there during the day and taking the covers off it completely to let the carpets get a good drying....

83starsstripes
07-04-2011, 08:25 PM
my cousin has cover i believe its made by someone online its like evolution cover or somthing i checked them out online..but anyhow it is the best cover ive ever seen no snaps on the side or anything just four clips on the back with draw strings it fits as tight as glove with absolutley no flap going down the road.. i aint for sure of the price but in my opion if your wanting to keep your boat nice its worth it..has zipers to zip up completly around the rack and everthing... http://evolutioncovers.com/

east tx skier
07-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Rankin is out of business. Coversports at theprocover.com is the same type of cover and every bit as good if not better.

Tuna Cowboy
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
So do you think cover it on the dock with the Rankin or with the factory snap covers?
The Rankin cover I have is great, I don't need a new cover.

east tx skier
07-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I can offer my experience last night. I have a coversports cover on my boat. I rarely tow with it even though it is trailerable. But it looked like some serious rain for our 120 mile trip home last night. So I put the cover on. I pulled it down I-20 in one of the worst storms I have ever driven through, much less towed a boat through. I had to stop once because the rain and wind were so bad that I couldn't see the road. After about an hour of this virtual monsoon, it let up. When I got home an put the boat away, the cover and boat were bone dry.

Because these two covers are comparable, I'd say go with the Rankin. Just my $0.02.

Tuna Cowboy
07-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Ya I'm gonna try it I think..it's so much easier to put on too....whats the worst that can happen I guess...it gets wet??..ha.

Thrall
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Doug, or anyone else, does the coversports cover chaffe/scratch your gel at all when towing?
My black MC cover, fits nice, but pos dye xfer on the vinyl and doesn't appear to move around except maybe on the windshiled a bit scratches the crap out of the black gel every time I attempt to use it.
I try not to tow w/ the cover on, but living up in WA now I see it being inevitable.
On the trip up here I shrink wrapped every place I thought it would touch gel and after 1200 mi I got more sanding and buffing to do this winter. Maybe it was teh 75-80mph w/ 40mph headwinds across Idaho, but that OE cover scratches the boat if it even gets near it, I swear.
Plus now it's partially shredded and I need a new cover. Can't stomach a snap on cover yet so thinking about the coversports cover.

east tx skier
07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Doug, or anyone else, does the coversports cover chaffe/scratch your gel at all when towing?
My black MC cover, fits nice, but pos dye xfer on the vinyl and doesn't appear to move around except maybe on the windshiled a bit scratches the crap out of the black gel every time I attempt to use it.
I try not to tow w/ the cover on, but living up in WA now I see it being inevitable.
On the trip up here I shrink wrapped every place I thought it would touch gel and after 1200 mi I got more sanding and buffing to do this winter. Maybe it was teh 75-80mph w/ 40mph headwinds across Idaho, but that OE cover scratches the boat if it even gets near it, I swear.
Plus now it's partially shredded and I need a new cover. Can't stomach a snap on cover yet so thinking about the coversports cover.

Not in my experience. I don't hesitate to tow around town with it. Of course, for the sake of the cover, I only do it on the highway if, like yesterday, it's raining cats and dogs. It is specifically designed for towing. It has tons of padding on the nose, windshield, and transom. Where the cover goes over the gunnels, it is attached by heavy duty velcro to sturdy hooks that clip under the rub rail. The hooks are padded on the underside. So it is not contacting the gelcoat there. It is drum tight. The only movement I see when towing is in front of the windshield, but it is not contacting anything there.

You can see the hook locations and fit in this picture. The cover is colorfast. No bleeding of red on my white seats.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1152/IMAG0050.jpg

Thrall
07-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Nice Doug, thanks.
I emailed them yesterday to see what they can do for my boat w/ a tower. Getting sick of buffing out scuffs and the way it rains up here I'm guessing I'll be covering it more than I want to.

east tx skier
07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice Doug, thanks.
I emailed them yesterday to see what they can do for my boat w/ a tower. Getting sick of buffing out scuffs and the way it rains up here I'm guessing I'll be covering it more than I want to.

The guy who runs PlanetNautique just got one for his boat with a tower that was done based on measurements (no pattern as of that point). He said it fit perfectly right out of the box.