PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a Trailblazer

ryfly161
07-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Anyone out there tow their boat with a chevy trailblazer. I have been reading about the need for a tranny cooler if you are towing a large boat. Any one tow with one and if you do which cooler do you like the best.

CantRepeat
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
What boat do you have?

Remember if you do add a tranny cooler you need to make sure to use the one in the radiator also.

IE out of the trans, into the radiator then into the add-on and back to the trans.

ryfly161
07-03-2011, 09:32 AM
we had a 1988 prostar but it got wrecked jsut bought an new x-15 and it pulled it really well the first time i towed it a little bumpy and at a littel higher rpm than the old boat so i was looking around to see if people used a tranny cooler.

CantRepeat
07-03-2011, 09:36 AM
we had a 1988 prostar but it got wrecked jsut bought an new x-15 and it pulled it really well the first time i towed it a little bumpy and at a littel higher rpm than the old boat so i was looking around to see if people used a tranny cooler.

I have one installed on my 3/4 Suburban. I also have a tranny temp gauge installed. The temp seldom gets over 200f.

Jerseydave
07-03-2011, 10:33 AM
10 miles or less and you should be ok.

What's the tow rating on your trailblazer? My guess is 5000# or less which means you're boat/trailer is a bit heavy for it. I see a Tahoe in your future.

If you do use the trailblazer, a trans cooler is a must for sure...plus change the trans fluid every year.

ryfly161
07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
jerseydave when i looked at the owners manual and called the chevy dealership they told me that the tow rating on a 4x4 2005 was 6100 pounds and so far by my calculations i am about 1000 under that. The x-15 is 3575 without the trailer, the trailer is about 1200 and 45 gallons of gas is about 280. I only have about three miles from the house to the landing. I would love a tahoe but got to get the wifes car paid off first. The Tranny cooler will decrease the temp and help to save the tranny if i tow it further.

bigmac
07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
jerseydave when i looked at the owners manual and called the chevy dealership they told me that the tow rating on a 4x4 2005 was 6100 pounds and so far by my calculations i am about 1000 under that.

You need to look at your frame mounted hitch. It should have a placard on it that lists the towing capacity. Note that the towing capacity listed in the chart from your owner's manual is the MAX towing capacity only applies if you're using a weight-distributing hitch. According to your owner's manual, you can't tow anything over 4000 lbs (page 4-59) in weight carrying mode.

http://SSEquine.net/towing.jpg

kycat2007
07-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I have pulled my 2004 X2 many times with my trailblazer. It puts on a good fight wen going up big hills but it has done a good job overall. My company vechicle gets updated in a few weeks to a jeep so I hope it will do the same job.

kevkan
07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Wow. Towing my X-1 with a Yukon XL has me looking at pickups. If it is only a couple miles to the ramp, will the transmission really be a problem? If you are going to tow any real distance, I doubt that vehicle is going to be adequate, tranny cooler or not.

ryfly161
07-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Big mac i have a WD hitch on the trailer with the 4.1 axle ratio. KYCAT what is the farthest you have towed the x2 with the trailblazer? Kevkan there are a few other lakes in my area that are about 20-30 miles away and i was looking at the tranny cooler to cut a little wear on it. I am looking at a new truck but it will be a year or so before we have the other car paid off and i can get it

91.Maristar.240
07-03-2011, 10:14 PM
if you have a 4L60E transmission i wouldn't suggest towing a canoe with it.
I just had a 4l60E Built specifically for towing my boat with a Modified Monster Transmissions Total build in a box kit that comes with a beast sunshell and all the goodies, upgraded servos, kevlar band, shift kit, and even swapped some parts out of that, a 2200 stall converter as well as a 20"x10" cooler.
Even then the builder a guy that's been building performance transmissions for over 30 years said he doesn't recommend me towing it very far and to stick to the lakes that are 15 min. from me!

milehigh970
07-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Ok.. I know i Will get grief about this and how i am not safe.... Blah Blah! I tow my 86 prostar with my 07 Honda element all the time. Sure i perfer a truck, but sometimes the element has its advantages. Its way smaller when worrying about tight parking! Lol. It is rated by Honda at 1500lbs. Lol i also make a hour trip once a week hauling my race car to the track. It weighs about 2150 and the trailer is probably another 2000. Just gotta be safe and keep a good distance and view on traffic ahead. ;)

bigmac
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok.. I know i Will get grief about this and how i am not safe.... Blah Blah! I tow my 86 prostar with my 07 Honda element all the time.

Not the most glaring example of lack of a grasp of physics that I've seen here, but right up there. The other impressive thing is your disregard for the safety of other people on the road.

LOL. Blah blah.

83starsstripes
07-04-2011, 07:47 PM
My dad recently sold his 98 suburban with 4l60e in it and I dropped the tyranny pulling my sleds but it had 280000 thousands miles on it with original tranny never had a prob before

MC4SNETS
07-05-2011, 01:10 AM
My wife tows our MariStar 210 (Same as X-10) with her 2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6. (When I'm pulling the fifth wheel with the truck) It has a tow rating of 6000 LBS. It tows beautifully up and down.....and she's done some good hills, one road with about twenty 180 degree switchbacks.... both directions (climb and descend), no problems. I have a tandem trailer with 4-wheel discs and I think that helps on the downhills, so does gearing down.

Stay within the MFG rating and keep your trailer brakes maintained every year.....should be fine.

Thrall
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
3 miles to the ramp??? You'll be fine. Heck I've towed my X2 almost that far with my '74 CJ5.
Just watch your braking distance, but the brakes on these trailers are very good if they're working properly. They'll pretty much slow down the trailer and rig by themselves coming down a mountain pass.
Just pulled my X2 1200mi over numerous passes last week. Granted, I was tugging it with a Dodge diesel, but had to use very little braking effort coming down hill on some 4-6mi 6%+ grades. Not even alot of brake dust on the traielr wheels or the truck wheels after the trip.
One thing to note, coming downhill with surge brakes, after braking to the speed you want, give it a tap on hte go pedal to "release" the surge brakes or they can stay partially applied and heat up. Also, the brakes and especially the torsion axles operate as designed with the trailer level. Make sure you're not real tongue high or low. Torsion axles put the weght on whichever axle is the lowest and don't equalize like leaf spring tandems.
I'd think most about the tongue weight on the back of the Tblazer. My X2 squats a half ton pretty good, prob more so on the Tblazer. Again 3 mi, not the end of the world.

83starsstripes
07-05-2011, 06:36 PM
i used to tow our 83 SS with my 2000 s-10 trailblazer two hours to michigan and it never gave me a problem what so ever and i did that for two years...i would surely hope a trailblazer would do better

Justjoe
07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Towed my X2 from San Antonio to mid MI with the Trailblazer.

Actually left Flint MI at 5:00 Friday night, and was back in the driveway my noon Sunday.

Minor tranny damage...whatever...

ryfly161
07-06-2011, 08:51 AM
We towed it from the landing the last three days and it hasent had any problems. There are a couple of other lakes with in 30 miles that i would like to try out. Sounds like there are a few people out there that are towing with a trailblazer. I have towed a prostar 190 for 5 years with it and have had no problems. Thanks everyone for the advice.