PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent loss of power?

Brian B
07-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Hey guys. I will make this quick as I'm on vacation with limited internet access.

Yesterday while out on Navajo Lake here in Colorado, I started experiencing a weird intermittent loss of power while under nearly full throttle conditions.

The bost starts, idles, cruises, and runs perfect. Ran like a top for about thirty minutes wide open running across the lake when it started having small, but noticable power loss'. I wouldnt call it surging, b ut thats what it felt like when the power comes back on. I'm talking momentary surges. Like less than a second. Power restores every time......

My initial thoughts are in regards to fueling.

Is this the sign of a failing fuel pump?
I'm going to replace the filter today, so long as I can find one at an auto parts store here in a tiny mountain town. (Indmar 330hp) What filter do I need?

If I had water in the fuel, I would imagine that the symptoms would be quite a bit more dramatic? Your thoughts?

Thanks so much! I have one more day left on this beatiful lake and would hate to not be able to go out! This place is incredible!

vision
07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
That is what my 05 did before its fuel pump died. Then it went to starting briefly and dying. See if they have a fuel pressure gauge you can borrow at the auto parts store.

ttu
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM
That is what my 05 did before its fuel pump died. Then it went to starting briefly and dying. See if they have a fuel pressure gauge you can borrow at the auto parts store.

ditto! my 07 x2 is at the dealership right now waiting to be looked at. there goes the holiday fun:mad:

ttu
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
just got a call from the service mgr at my mc dealership, fuel pump! oh well, wish they would design it better.

hcoog17
07-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I would check the kill switch first. But that sounds similar to engine problem i had last year. my boat would would slow down while running across the lake at anythying above about 3200 rpms. I replaced my fuel pump in my 2006 X30 with about 450 hours. it fixed my problems. good luck!

Brian B
07-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys! I'm happy to think it's a fuel pump and nothing internally!

Brian B
07-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Thanks again guys! I was able to get in an incredible day of skiing and surfing on Sunday! No "hi speed" runs or leisure cruising as the condition did worsen. At any rate, I'm ready to buy a new pump, filter, and service the whole fuel system. Where's the best place to get the pump?

Brian B
07-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Best place to get fuel pump? Thanks!

Brian B
09-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, I replaced my fuel pump and the condition still exists. (Airtex E2065)

It was suggested to clean the strainer on my tranny cooler. This has been done. There was very little debris in there.

Any ideas are appreciated!

MachinedConcepts
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
what color was the tranny fluid?

Brian B
09-18-2011, 07:26 PM
^ Purple and clean.

Brian B
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Ttt!!!!!!!

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Check the voltage to the fuel pump. I had the same thing happen. Ended up being a bad connection at the pump that was misdiagnosed as a fuel pump issue.

Brian B
09-19-2011, 01:08 PM
^ Where exactly was the bad connection?

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Mine is different assuming. I have a external fuel pump and my bad connection was at the plug. When the plug got hot the connection went to garbage. You however could have a clogged screen, bad connection, or other issues. Not sure how easy yours is to replicate. Mine was sporatic and only under heavy load/heat. Discovering it was a pure accident. I didn't know if it was my boost pump or primary pump so I bypassed the power and bam worked like a champ. Purely accidental

Brian B
09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Checked connections. Everything looks fine.....

Brian B
09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Any other ideas guys? I'm at a loss.......

Brian B
09-20-2011, 05:45 PM
How can you test for water in the fuel?

hewlett6621
09-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Could it just be hitting the rev limiter ?

Brian B
09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Nope. Def not rev limiting.

BallBushing
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Re: Electrical connections at the pump? Also had a problem with the yellow electrical connection on top of the in tank fuel pump assembly. Ended up holding the two ends of the connection together with my daughters hair tie, could also use a thick rubber band. Really forces the two pieces together.

02ProstarSammyD
09-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Re: Electrical connections at the pump? Also had a problem with the yellow electrical connection on top of the in tank fuel pump assembly. Ended up holding the two ends of the connection together with my daughters hair tie, could also use a thick rubber band. Really forces the two pieces together.

still my thoughts on this. Check the dizzy too?

Brian B
09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Well, one of two things happened. I either had a little bit of water in the fuel, or the plug on top of the pump was loose. I checked my fuel cap and the rubber o-ring was cracked. Replaced that, put a rubber band around the fuel pump plug and no longer have the symptoms I have been talking about. The boat ran like a top yesterday! This weekend I'll remove the rubber band and see what happens. I'm guessing it was water in the fuel.

Thanks so much for everyone's input and ideas! :)

Brian B
10-14-2011, 12:03 AM
The next time out the missing problem came back. Narrowed it down to the ignition module. (A poor connection)

I searched the forums and found this post. I pulled my ignition module out, pulled the coils, cleaned all connections, put dielectric grease and all connections and it fixed my driveability issues!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39965

Thanks again for all the ideas! We had a stellar day riding today!