PDA

View Full Version : Steam/smoke from under platform

nickespi
07-02-2011, 11:50 AM
While we were out the other day, my wife noticed something coming from under the platform area. She thought it was smoke, but I don't believe that's what it was simply because it didn't smell like smoke. I'm leaning more towards steam from maybe the coolant water being pumped back out??? I don't really understand how the whole marine engine totally works, but think I'm on the right track. Any suggestions to what I might be experiencing?

mart_it
07-02-2011, 12:02 PM
While we were out the other day, my wife noticed something coming from under the platform area. She thought it was smoke, but I don't believe that's what it was simply because it didn't smell like smoke. I'm leaning more towards steam from maybe the coolant water being pumped back out??? I don't really understand how the whole marine engine totally works, but think I'm on the right track. Any suggestions to what I might be experiencing?

Exhaust fumes.....Don't worry about it!

nickespi
07-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Really? I've never noticed it before.

JimN
07-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Marine or car/truck, they work the same way- the exhaust gases go out the exhaust system but since these don't have metal pipes that are cooled by the air, somewhat, water is sent into the exhaust stream so the fiberglass pipes won't melt. Once the warmer water/exhaust hits the cooler water, steam results. If it's smoke, it'll smell like something is burning. If it ever smells like rubber or plastic, shut it down immediately.

nickespi
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Ok, great. Makes perfect sense. I'll watch it closely today, but I have a feeling it isn't going to do it. When it started doing it the other day, we had already been on the water about 6 hours. Engine was pretty warm.

nickespi
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Update. Out on the boat and the temp hit 200 and the engine light came on. Obviously overheating. What could be the problem? Would like to fix before the 4th.

TOO-TALL
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Maybe your impeller is missing some fins?
Pull it out and check it.

nickespi
07-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Where is it located? Raw water pump or circulating pump?

WTRSK1R
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Check the raw water pump on the front of the engine just behind the pylon if its a direct drive. Chances are the impellor is missing a fin or two and you are not getting good water flow. Also, if you do find this to be the case, be sure to check if the fins are stuck in the transmission cooler since that is pretty common when the impellor starts to self destruct.

Good Luck.

WTRSK1R
07-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Just looked at your profile and see you have an X-30. The issue still sounds like a raw water pump impellor, and it is still mounted on the front of the engine, but it will be harder to get to on the X-30.

ski/hunt
07-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Not sure how the tranny cooler is set up on V drive but on my ps205 DD the tranny cooler is the first thing after the raw water pick-up. A few weeks ago we had above normal temps but would cool with higher rpm. Figured the impeller was missing fins but figured I'd check the flow of water thru the tranny cooler first since it's only a couple hose clamps vs. the cover and seal on the impeller housing. Turned out to be loads of debris from pine needles to little chunks of tree bark/wood chips, and plant like material from the lake (which was stirred up from rain and boat traffic). Cleared all the crud out and back to perfect temp. Check the tranny cooler if it's before impeller on your X ride. Good luck!!

nickespi
07-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Got the impeller out and it looks fine. Almost brand new. Anything else to check while I'm on the water?

Jerseydave
07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
flush out trans cooler as stated before

Cloaked
07-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Update. Out on the boat and the temp hit 200 and the engine light came on. Obviously overheating. What could be the problem? Would like to fix before the 4th.Check your exhaust hoses coming from the riser to the muffler. I have seen these collapse or seperate internally, impeeding the water flow and even back flushing hot water back into the riser, restricting cooling capability. Feel for soft spots in the hose or listen for loud or exaggerated engine noise that a worn hose will exhibit.

nickespi
07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Is this the trans cooler? http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/?action=view&current=1309635775.jpg

ski/hunt
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM
You got it I believe, if those two hoses go to the transmission that's it. Pull the end that heads down to the hull/water pick-up see if it's clogged inside (like a honey comb inside where the tranny fluid runs thru and the holes in there allow the water to cool the fluid and then continue toward motor). Keep us updated.

JimN
07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Update. Out on the boat and the temp hit 200 and the engine light came on. Obviously overheating. What could be the problem? Would like to fix before the 4th.

Look at the oil cooler and impeller. Even if the impeller's vanes are intact, they may be too soft to push enough water, especially at higher RPM. Also, make sure the intake on the hull isn't blocked.

nickespi
07-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. It ended up being a clogged oil cooler line. There was a ton of junk in there. Was able to get it cleaned out and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Never went above 160 degrees after it was cleaned.

ski/hunt
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Sweet!! Weekend salvaged---happy 4th!

psychobilly
07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
I put one of these in

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHE18016

Clear sight glass gives you a quick inspection and even quicker fix the next time this happens. Too Easy...

nickespi
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
That is a great idea. Just might have to order me one of those.

03geetee
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Glad your back on the water enjoy the 4th.

JTR