PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Problems?

MC240
07-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Boat is Maristar 1991 240 with 454HO. I have had boat 14 years and the only time I have had water temp problems is with raw water impeller. This season my temp seems to run high when boat is restarted after short or long runs. I am talking about 20 mph rides not after continuous skiing or towing runs. I have replaced impeller every year, cleaned trans cooler, installed new hoses,checked intake,etc.. After restarting and moving boat, the temp goes back to a normal 160F. In the past, the only time it would do this is when I have large group of kids and are continuously pulling on floats or skiing doubles etc.. Motor has approx. 500 hrs. Does anyone think I need to check engine water pump or to worry about rust inside system being the problem?

JimN
07-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Boat is Maristar 1991 240 with 454HO. I have had boat 14 years and the only time I have had water temp problems is with raw water impeller. This season my temp seems to run high when boat is restarted after short or long runs. I am talking about 20 mph rides not after continuous skiing or towing runs. I have replaced impeller every year, cleaned trans cooler, installed new hoses,checked intake,etc.. After restarting and moving boat, the temp goes back to a normal 160F. In the past, the only time it would do this is when I have large group of kids and are continuously pulling on floats or skiing doubles etc.. Motor has approx. 500 hrs. Does anyone think I need to check engine water pump or to worry about rust inside system being the problem?

That's called 'heat soak' and it's normal. The cylinders get hot and the outer mass of the engine is cooled more when it's running. When you shut it down, the heat transfers to the cooler parts, raising their temperature but also lowering the temperature of the hotter mass. This causes the water in the block to become warmer, as indicated by the gauge.

The older user manual indicated that the oil cooler should be checked/cleaned before every outing.

babymoore3
07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Just idle for a bit before 2-3 min you shut down after higher rpms.