PDA

View Full Version : Leave the boat in the water???

medicmoose
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
No way...never again! I always trailer my boat but I had to leave it in the water for 2 weeks so that the trailer could get some warranty work done. Today, with the trailer now back under the boat, I spent 3 hours polishing and waxing the lower 1/3 of the boat to get the staining off.

I applaud you guys who are comfortable with leaving your boat in the water all season...I did love the convenience of jumping in and going for a quick set. But unfortunately my anal retentive ways would never let me do this to my boat again.

Wax-on, wax-off...I need a massage!!

bigmac
07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Acid wash. On-Off, Slimy Grimy, dilute TidyBowl etc. That scum line cleans right up without the scrubbing.

GT500 MC
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
No way...never again! I always trailer my boat but I had to leave it in the water for 2 weeks so that the trailer could get some warranty work done. Today, with the trailer now back under the boat, I spent 3 hours polishing and waxing the lower 1/3 of the boat to get the staining off.

I applaud you guys who are comfortable with leaving your boat in the water all season...I did love the convenience of jumping in and going for a quick set. But unfortunately my anal retentive ways would never let me do this to my boat again.

Wax-on, wax-off...I need a massage!!

So I have back-pain to look forward to...I too always trailer my boat but going on a vacation shortly and will have it in the lake for two weeks straight...I thought about trailering each night but the thought of waking up at 6:30am and just wading out to the boat for a glass run overrides that each time. Guess I'll break out the polish and wax...

east tx skier
07-01-2011, 09:25 PM
No back pains (or fewer back pains) if you do what Bigmac says.

Bobwire
07-02-2011, 10:02 AM
If you wax it before you leave it in the water, you wont have any stains to deal with. And prolly gain a mph or 2.

BriEOD
07-02-2011, 10:12 AM
If you wax it before you leave it in the water, you wont have any stains to deal with. And prolly gain a mph or 2.

You'll definitely have less of a stain to deal with. However, you will not gain any speed. There is an entire thread regarding this thought on TT. Moreover, the Mythbusters did a whole episode which debunked this claim. Sorry.

east tx skier
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
What episode? Did you see the one where they water skies behind a "row boat"?

bigmac
07-02-2011, 11:36 AM

One high-speed run down the lake and most conventional waxes get stripped right off.

I'd be more inclined to recommend a sealant, like Rejex or Adam's Machine SuperWax.

medicmoose
07-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Acid wash. On-Off, Slimy Grimy, dilute TidyBowl etc. That scum line cleans right up without the scrubbing.

Sounds good...I'll have to give that a try. Of course, no connotations associated with the use of toilet bowl cleaner on my boat....right?

I should have thought to wax it before it sat in the water.

Thanks for the info!!

Bobwire
07-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Hmmm....
Having work for a yacht coatings company for over 15 years, and painting boats prior to that, i do know for fact that different bottom paints will yeild different speeds.

I just assumed waxing the bottom would give less friction thus increasing speed too.

I do believe you, Even though it doesn't make sence to me.
Its not the first time something didnt make sence to me.:confused:

Bobwire
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Something like this was what i was thinking of.

http://www.auroramarine.com/aurora/dealers/06_tips_tricks/Pro_vs721.html