PDA

View Full Version : Signing off

Traviski1
07-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Well guys, time to sign off, the most stressful and expensive thing in my life is now gone, my 205V. Was pulled off today by a nice young man who is a boat mechanic. It will be a marriage made in heaven.
Despite perfect dealer maintenance , this pos has spent more hours in the dealers shop and behind a tow rope that it has running on the lake.
It failed me the first time out on the water in 2002, it's maiden voyage, and has ruined more family vacations than I can remember. Three fuel pumps, two kill switches, bad fuel relays, countless electrical issues, two gauge control modules,
Two fuel tank sensors, three switches, two gauges, two fuel pump connectors and six still *unexplained engine shutdowns with no restart.

But all this is my fault, I scrimped , went cheap, and bought a Mastercraft, the best of the best. I should have known something was up when after the first failure I saw 25 Mastercrafts in my dealers lot in Houston waiting to be fixed.*
Twenty Five !*

But, I will miss some things. I will miss carrying around tools in the boat.Miss carrying around extra relays and fuses. *Miss plugging and unplugging connections out on Lake Travis , dead in the water. Miss paying *$600 dollars for replacement fuel pumps, miss running into Austin on vacation mornings picking up parts, miss meeting the 25 different people who towed me in over the last eight years. I will miss my kids asking, Dad, what's wrong the boat this time?

And I will miss seeing the mobile Mastercraft mechanic that Boat Town kept so busy on Lake Travis, running from boat to boat., from dawn to dusk. All summer long.

I think what I will miss most though is the feeling of nausea when the boat quit while pulling a skier in the late afternoon, way up the lake, and will somebody come by to pull us in, and will they pull us all the way back to Lago Vista, or will we have to tie up at a house and take a taxi back, again. No more carrying around a roll of twenties to make it worth their while.

I should have dumped this back on the dealer after the first three failures. Got me a lawyer, played hardball.*
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

So what is the point of all this? Maybe somebody saving for a Mastercraft will learn from this, and think again.

So, the new boat has a big 4 stroke O/B and seats 12, and pulls a skier up like butter. Has a 6 year engine warranty too. Lifetime warranty on the hull. I don't know what to name the new boat yet though, the name I used on the Mastercraft won't work. We used to call it, " In Tow". **

lettmeknow
07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
should have called it MassiveCrap

CantRepeat
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Umad??????

brucemac
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
lol, best of luck to you!

TxsRiverRat
07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I think "In Tow" would still work... :eek3:

J NORRIS
07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Had the boat 9 years and this is your first post?:confused:
Should have been here on TT long ago and TT members would have saved you thousands by being able to maintain the boat yourself instead of calling the mechanic everytime.:twocents:

CantRepeat
07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Had the boat 9 years and this is your first post?:confused:
Should have been here on TT long ago and TT members would have saved you thousands by being able to maintain the boat yourself instead of calling the mechanic everytime.:twocents:

Great post!

For some reason I couldn't even offer this up as he posted 9 years too late to say he was mad and leaving.

Fact is, there's a bunch of people here that would have loved to try and help him out.

Traviski1
07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Yea that works, I'm dead on the lake, with no parts, and I can log in and get fixed.

Plave
07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Why did you keep such an awful boat for 9 years?

CantRepeat
07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Yea that works, I'm dead on the lake, with no parts, and I can log in and get fixed.

Enjoy your new boat! Good luck to you. If you have issues with it please stop by and post up. The odd thing about most of us here is we like to help. So if there is anything we can offer we will.

BTW, where in the SE are you?

pmkkdx
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
sounds like you got the lemon of all lemons ... I have not had a tenth that many issues with all the boats I have owned all combined the past ~33 years continuously. Best of wishes with the new boat ...

3event
07-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear, and sorry as well that you only found Team Talk in time to come here and sign off. There is a wealth of help available including some dealers and experts that go out of their way to help guide others who are not and may never be their customers.

I came to Mastercraft after a big black outboard with undiagnosed problems got to be too much to handle over a period of a few years - even though everything had been handled by warranty and later, by goodwill.

That being said, I hope your next experience is fun, that you can enjoy going fast, and that you someday consider coming back....

bturner2
07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Well since you didn't take the time to let some of us help you and maybe give a bit of advise you did at least take the time to dump on all of us. I (as I'm sure most of us) have experienced a lemon however I don't subscribe to the notion as you seem to that all MasterCraft's exhibit the same traits yours did. Going forward I do however wish you the best of luck with your next boat. Hopefully you'll reach out next time you need help instead of just growing bitter.

CantRepeat
07-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Well since you didn't take the time to let some of us help you and maybe give a bit of advise you did at least take the time to dump on all of us. I (as I'm sure most of us) have experienced a lemon however I don't subscribe to the notion as you seem to that all MasterCraft's exhibit the same traits yours did. Going forward I do however wish you the best of luck with your next boat. Hopefully you'll reach out next time you need help instead of just growing bitter.

I love you man!!

02ProstarSammyD
07-01-2011, 03:09 PM
So do this mean he won't be purchasing a new mastercraft by design hat?

Seriously though there are alot of things in the world that suck:

Jeep grand Cherokees
Mastercraft being sued and pillaged
Beiber
Jenna Jameson
Red Stripe Light

The list goes on and on......however Mastercraft does not appear on my list. Sorry if you honestly in fact did get a lemon but most likely it was due to parts that are so foreign they wink and non preventative maintinence.

Good luck in your future boating

Bert
07-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, I have had my Mastercrraft for twenty years now. Never had a failure, never ruined a vacation and never been back to a dealer.:D Seems like every time you use it yours breaks, maybe it's just you;) Have fun with your new boat. 4 stroke OB seats 12, what is it? One of those pontoon boats?

chawk610
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Man... that was angry, I can dig, i have been towed in a time or two... I kinda just thought that was boating. Although, his story sounded like he had WAY more troubs than most of us. Man, gets me thinking though... I better get the boat on the fake a lake before Sunday! :) Anyone on Lewisville... SEE YOU THERE!

CantRepeat
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM

Jeep grand Cherokees
Beiber
Jenna Jameson
Red Stripe Light

The list goes on and on......however Mastercraft does not appear on my list. Sorry if you honestly in fact did get a lemon but most likely it was due to parts that are so foreign they wink and non preventative maintinence.

So I've been told! :D

UofU2727
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that! Like some have said....there is always a lemon somewhere. Dealership, never needed one, never will, and she's over 26 years old, I think over that time she's had a few oil changes. I forgot one thing a new steering cable. That's why I invested in a few class in college, passed a few master tech test.................I do my own work...and then found another career to support my hobbies! Hope things go better for ya next time but 2 posts?

oxberger
07-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I can understand you being upset and frustrated, but there's no reason to come on here (after 9 yrs!) and dumping on Mastercraft. You mention breaking down and not being able to go and log on, but did you think that had you been a part of this forum for that long that maybe there are members on here that are on your lake that would have glady assisted on those many occasions? Oddly enough, the problems you've had sound very similar to mine (minus the family asking what was wrong... no kids). I do have friends that just stopped going out with me bacause they knew we'd be getting towed back or limping home. I have a lot of great memories of those frustrations and of the eurka moments when correcting the issue, there are a ton of people on this board that have gotten me past those issues and helped me out, but you know what.... I will NEVER own another brand boat! Unfortunately your experience is not the standard and I'm sorry for your misfortune. Good luck with your pontoon boat and tubes.

SWeaver
07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
That is such a shame. I've owned 2 MCs now, and have had them MAKE my vacations. They are both a bit older, and have had a maintenance issue or two, but nothing that hasn't happened on other boats my family has had. I've been fortunate to be the recipient of such helpful and patient advice here, saving me thousands of dollars and countless headaches btw, that this site alone is worth choosing MC.

I'm a member on malibu and nautique forums, and they aren't a fraction of the help these fine folks are. Best of luck with your OB. I hope your forum tantrum was helpful for you to relieve some pressure.

TxsRiverRat
07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Wait a second...

Justin Beiber sucks?

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

east tx skier
07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
This is a new one for me. Somebody signing up for this forum to say goodbye. My typical response is "He'll be back. They always come back." This one has me stumped. I guarantee I would feel the same way if I had a boat fail on me that many times. Fortunately, my experience with my 93 was just the opposite. It never left me stranded, although I did show up to the lake with a dead battery once. Same with my current boat. The only time it didn't start was when I accidentally yanked an ignition wire lose. And even then, I was sitting at the ramp cranking it.

So, welcome, goodbye, good luck, and I'm sorry for all the troubles you had with your boat. I hope you have better luck with your new one. It being a boat, I can't imagine it will be trouble free though.

ahhudgins
07-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon, or it could have been a lack of preventative maintenance (or a combination of the two). A boat is like a wife; it takes time and money. I know guys who own inboards (MC and CC) and their boats havenít seen wax or heard the sound of a vacuum in years. Their boats stay in horrible condition and they wonder why it wonít fire up, but all you have to do is look at the worn out and corroded battery terminals. If someone canít spend a little time and a few bucks to replace some terminals, they have no reason to complain.

Iíve had my share of breakdowns over the last 30 years (3 Mastercrafts) but all I will remember is the time my family has spent together at the lake. Iím sorry you donít feel the same but maybe you will have better luck with a different boat.

P.S. I do find it odd that someone owns a MC for that long and only searches for the board after they get rid of it.

silverblueBP
07-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow, I don't think I'd have wasted my time signing up just to come in and take a dump, after having the boat for nine years no less.

My 96 has had zero problems since I bought it from the original owner. Maybe it's from doing regular maintenance, maybe cause I live in God's Country?? My only problems have come from having too much fun on the water and breaking bones :banana:

Sorry you had such a bad experience, good luck with your future ventures!

onejdgreen
07-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, sounds like you did get a lemon, but as many of us on here can tell you, BOAT stands for one thing, regardless of the brand. Bust Out Another Thousand!!!

broncotw
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I am curious if he purchased his boat new or was it used and the status of the factory warranty (inactive or in-active). Personally, I think I would of contacted MasterCraft! I would think if his numerous problems were well documented MC would at least make some sort of effort to assit with repair costs, labor, or something..... I would of also been lighting up the board here with many posts......

TxsRiverRat
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah but... Justin Beiber sucks?

:D

oxberger
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah but... Justin Beiber sucks?

:D

That's not a question... that's the truth! Cool hair though. Just kidding.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes beiber sucks, my 9 year old daughter cant stand him, come to think of it she cant stand anything disney...

mbeach
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
A boat is like a wife; it takes time and money. P.S. .

now that's funny, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too true. also, my wife did not think it nearly as funny as i, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! anyway, sorry you had such a bad experience. i am the third owner of a 98 sportstar and have never had a moments trouble other than a sticking iac (?) valve which BAWS took care of in a couple of hours plus a few other maintenance tasks. great boat, a little over 300 hrs, fires off every time - guess the MC gods blessed me.

TxsRiverRat
07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Neither can I - Disney sucks...

So does beiber :D

Jim@BAWS
07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
now that's funny, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too true. also, my wife did not think it nearly as funny as i, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! anyway, sorry you had such a bad experience. i am the third owner of a 98 sportstar and have never had a moments trouble other than a sticking iac (?) valve which BAWS took care of in a couple of hours plus a few other maintenance tasks. great boat, a little over 300 hrs, fires off every time - guess the MC gods blessed me.

Thanks for the "THUMBS UP" Mr Beach!!! Jim@BAWS

Chief
07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Bye! Not that you will be missed since you only sign on to take a dump on MC. Sucks you had so many problems but then there may be a problem between the steering wheel and seat. I just can't believe someone can have so many problems with a boat, unless you leave it out and not use it for months on hand then expect it to work like a charm.

Good luck on your wakecraft that Rod sold you.

Patrick Hardy
07-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I do not know if you ever knew about this tremendous forum of help and knowledge, but like the saying goes "you can't help someone who never ask for help". As for your Mastercraft, any and all boat manufactures do have problem models / years. I have own my Prostar 190 for 15 years and have had no problems to date. Hope you have better luck with your new boat and try to ask for help a little earlier next time!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Whats the old saying, the happiest day in a boaters life is when the new boat is brought home and the day its sold...

Z71_Silvy
07-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Jeep grand Cherokees
Beiber
Jenna Jameson
Red Stripe Light

Not anymore!!! Best mid-sized SUV you can buy!

Iskidaily
07-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Boy, we've all had our own experiences, but he sounds ANGRY. I'm still happy with mine.

scott023
07-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Not anymore!!! Best mid-sized SUV you can buy!

Wow. I've read a lot of strange and outlandish things on here, but this may take the prize. :confused::D

JLeuck64
07-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Sounds like pure fiction... I am calling shenanigans!

sand2snow22
07-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Wow. I've read a lot of strange and outlandish things on here, but this may take the prize. :confused::D

May be true, Scott? I have my own questions, but did well here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/jeep_grand_cherokee_vs._kia_borrego_nissan_pathfin der_toyota_4runner-comparison_tests

MC4SNETS
07-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Please find the proper forum for whatever boat and/or outboard motor you purchased. Then do the following:

1. Read, read, read.
2. Ask questions
3. Ask for help

This will accomplish the following:

It will help you.....

1. Identify similar problems others may have
2. Identify known issues
3. Learn how to deal with issues before you have them
4. Build a network of support when you think your are alone with a problem
5. Connect with dealers who can tell you how to deal with your dealer

And lots more.....

Good luck to you, your family and your new boat. This is a great forum and I truly believe that had you been here years ago to bounce these problems against our wall you would be in a different place......but now you have a chance to start over.....take advantage of it.

Be safe and good luck.

hbomb
07-02-2011, 04:36 AM
well done boater.......
9 years and you realise you have purchased a lemon??????????
and for 9 years you put up with it??????????????????????
and now you dump on this forum........

I have the guts to say what everyone is thinking......... ??????????????????????????????????????

Z71_Silvy
07-02-2011, 10:12 AM

Have you seen the 2011 JGC???

Sales were up over 200% last month, sales for the year are up over 110%.

It truly is an amazing transformation it, along with many other Chrysler vehicles, have gone through for the 2011 model year. In fact, the top 4 vehicles I would replace my Silverado with (I'm always shopping) are Chrysler. Before the 2011s, it was all GM...

Check out the 2011 JGC...you'll be surprised. The quality of the interior is staggering.

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Jeep-Grand_Cherokee_2011_photo_28.jpg

And they even have an SRT-8 version (that makes me giddy!):

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Jeep-Grand_Cherokee_SRT8_2012_photo_01.jpg

I can't explain why I need a 465HP/465TQ SUV powered by a 6.4L V8...but I know, FOR SURE, that I need it...

JohnE
07-02-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm not even going to waste my time reading through this thread but I agree with the ones who already mentioned that it is ironic that op never came on TT to seek advice on his problems, but did log in to bash the boat after all this time.

Jim@BAWS
07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Have you seen the 2011 JGC???

Sales were up over 200% last month, sales for the year are up over 110%.

It truly is an amazing transformation it, along with many other Chrysler vehicles, have gone through for the 2011 model year. In fact, the top 4 vehicles I would replace my Silverado with (I'm always shopping) are Chrysler. Before the 2011s, it was all GM...

Check out the 2011 JGC...you'll be surprised. The quality of the interior is staggering.

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Jeep-Grand_Cherokee_2011_photo_28.jpg

And they even have an SRT-8 version (that makes me giddy!):

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Jeep-Grand_Cherokee_SRT8_2012_photo_01.jpg

I can't explain why I need a 465HP/465TQ SUV powered by a 6.4L V8...but I know, FOR SURE, that I need it...

How does that saying go???

You can dress up a TURD but it is still a TURD

ddanenberger
07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Everyone has there opinion. I have the 2011 Gran Cherokee Overland, it has been great. Great ride, best laid out interior controls we have seen of any of the SUV's we looked at. Very well thought out. By the way the Hemi has more than enough power and still gets over 20MPG. 15MPG pulling the X25. I have no complaints with ours so far... time will tell if they have thier act together.

aquaman
07-02-2011, 02:18 PM

jim...i think it was more like you can put lipstick on a pig. but your version is good.

Same old Crap from Detroit ......now dressed up with bells, whistles, lipstick + perfume. Financed by the Government with your taxes. :rolleyes:

psychobilly
07-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Mine's a lil different, "You can polish a turd all day long, but at the end of the day, it's still a turd.

nmcjr
07-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Actually, for anyone saving for a Mastercraft, as an FYI mine has 650 hours and hasn't had a single mechanical failure, not one.

In reality, most of those failed parts listed aren't even made by Mastercraft and are commonly used by all the boat manufacturers. However, the one thing I will agree with was that I do feel that something should have been done long ago with the fuel pumps, i.e. recall. I simply replaced mine before it failed, with help from this site.

2RLAKE
07-03-2011, 01:29 AM
maybe he should have asked how do i make it sound louder

broncotw
07-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee! It was by far one of the most fun vehicles to drive I have ever owned! The problem was it was total JUNK! I had a continual leak from the transfer-case in which I eventually took it back to various dealerships for a total of twelve (12) times! On each occasion, the transfer-case continued to leak! On the thirteenth (13) trip to the dealership they FINALLY replaced the entire transfer-case! Shortly thereafter, the new transfer-case began to leak! The second problem I had was the solenoids which are located within the four (4) doors of the vehicle responsible for powering the windows up and down. These solenoids continually went out and had to be replaced.... I think I made nine (9) trips to the dealership for this problem.....

Granted ALL of these problems were covered by the factory warranty -- but it was a HUGE inconvenience to have to take the vehicle back to dealership, get a rental, and then go and pick up the vehicle!

In contrast, I have owned eleven (11) GMC/Chevrolet trucks or SUVs.... I have put over 100,000 miles on ALL of them and the ONLY problem I have EVER had was a fuel pump that went out on 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 and it was covered under warranty!

I will NEVER own another Dodge/Chrysler product! NEVER!

Good luck with yours!!!

kevkan
07-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Jeeps may have a reputation as junk, or high maintenance, but I guarantee you can find people who put hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no issues.

I had a 1995 GMC Suburban. This model vehicle was extremely prone to transmission failures. Yet in 165,000 miles, I had no transmission issues, even with towing a boat.

I'm sure the opposite could happen as well. Mastercraft makes a very good boat, and inboards are generally much less failure prone than I/Os or outboards. But I am sure it is possible this guy got ahold of a lemon. Maybe the boat filled with rain water at the dealer or something. Why he would put up with it for 9 years, then come on here to bash the brand, is a real question.

tex
07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Even our great mastercraft builds boats on Friday afternoon!

davidstan
07-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like pure fiction... I am calling shenanigans!

Ditto.....

scott023
07-03-2011, 11:38 PM
May be true, Scott? I have my own questions, but did well here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/10q3/jeep_grand_cherokee_vs._kia_borrego_nissan_pathfin der_toyota_4runner-comparison_tests

Hard to believe. Jeep has been producing complete rubbish for a long time now. I guess only time will tell.

aaron.
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM
cry me a river. what a joke