PDA

View Full Version : Power Tower on my X-25 or the new ZFT2

jwardenjr
06-30-2011, 07:47 PM
I am ordering my new 2012 X-25 and trying to decide on the Power Tower or not. I have seen the new pictures of the manual unit ( zft2 ) which is supposed to be the option to the Electric actuator version (zft5p ) and its not very pleasingto me. I have spoken to a fellow MC Team member and he is very happy with his power tower but I have heard some concerns of lots of swaying and noise coming from the unit. Anyone out there with a Power Tower that can give me the honest opinion would be greatly appreciated. I really like it but would not be happy if it makes all kind of rattling noise and creaks over waves.

The pictures are the new ZFT2 Tower new for 2012

mrhays9
06-30-2011, 08:32 PM
I hope you are kidding. That's the new tower? I guess the ugly of this tower will force everyone into power on the tower.

Trig2275
06-30-2011, 08:36 PM
I was thinking the same thing! Power Tower it is. That tower looks like a step back in time. No support arms either. That can't be good.

plunk77
06-30-2011, 08:43 PM
is this 2001? i thought we were past the bungees on the board racks

mrhays9
06-30-2011, 08:54 PM
I hope it's a joke. I really hope it's a joke. I was thinking new X-25 for 2012 but not so much with that fugly thing.

ShawnB
06-30-2011, 10:02 PM
On the plus side that looks really easy to fold down.

Huskie05
06-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I have the power tower, makes no noise on the water, even in rough water. They did a software release on the tower, since then the tower works like a champ. I love it, really I do. I was nervous at first but the new module and software they loaded up seems to be working awesome. I tow down, get to the lake I hit my tower remote in the truck, up it goes. Get out of the water, hit the remote after cleaning up and making way, hit tower remote down and down it goes. Love it, plus, it looks bad a$$. Get tons of that looks cool. I think the new tower in the pictures looks horrible, cheap, not MasterCraft forsure... Might look better in person, and I might change my tune if the power tower goes south, but I think they will just keep improving on the electric motor as it goes, not really worried..
But we hear no noise from the tower on the lake, none.

willyt
07-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Give me my 4 point backkkkkkk

Plave
07-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Same point as this time last year, wait until you see it out on the water before judging it if possible.

Many who were up in arms about ZFT5 now like it when they've seen it in the flesh, especially on the bigger boats.

peettee79
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Why mc why ?

bobx1
07-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I am ordering my new 2012 X-25 and trying to decide on the Power Tower or not. .......

If you want opinions, I would go with the Power Tower IF it has some type of manual override option (which is rumored for 2012). Even if you have a great dealer, picture yourself in BF Egypt with the entire family on a vacation with this problem (a new X25 with only 8 hours on it):

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=41961

jbkriss
07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
As far as two point towers go, compare that one to Malibu or CC's. It doesn't come close to those in appearance, IMO. I would definitely prefer the four point to the power tower or manual 2.

ShawnB
07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
So glad that we got a 2011...

:eek:

FourFourty
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM

Me Too!! Holy ugly tower batman. I sincerely hope there is a ZFT-4 in the works. Until then, I love my ZFT-3.

Why couldnt they just have lift assist on the ZFT-5?? My dealer told me that they were going to do a ZFT-2 (price point), ZFT-5 (Swivel racks, lift assisted, manual), And the ZFT-5P (Power Tower).

The looks of the ZFT-5P has grown on me, the ZFT-2 never will, unless I go back in time...

FancySauceRules
07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Holy crap that is ugly!!! And I am a fan of most all new things out of Mastercraft.

plunk77
07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
my god.....ugh that is ugly

ddanenberger
07-19-2011, 04:55 PM
here are my 2 cents... We have a '11 x25 and boat in rough water. The tower does move, but only slightly, no noise. I have not experienced any swaying that would not be unacceptable or out of the ordinary. I expect some movement in rough water. The bimini...not happy with it. They could and should have done better. We have had a software update...worked better before the update, but I have been told they have a new one in a couple weeks. ours loses it set points and you have to disconnect the power then reset the tower by raising and lowering it 3 times. The board racks are now loose due to the shock from the waves, which I have been told will be fixed when we get it serviced this fall, I believe this to be a bushing issue.

This tower was a great option since we have to clear a bridge every time we go out. All in all very happy. They continue to improve the software and upgrade parts as they see where the problems are arising. I am sure the '12 version will be better as they learn from our comments.

As far as the bimini, I understand the Utah dealer has had a bimini fabricated that is much better, but have not seen pictures. Has anyone seen thier version??

Huskie05
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
here are my 2 cents... We have a '11 x25 and boat in rough water. The tower does move, but only slightly, no noise. I have not experienced any swaying that would not be unacceptable or out of the ordinary. I expect some movement in rough water. The bimini...not happy with it. They could and should have done better. We have had a software update...worked better before the update, but I have been told they have a new one in a couple weeks. ours loses it set points and you have to disconnect the power then reset the tower by raising and lowering it 3 times. The board racks are now loose due to the shock from the waves, which I have been told will be fixed when we get it serviced this fall, I believe this to be a bushing issue.

This tower was a great option since we have to clear a bridge every time we go out. All in all very happy. They continue to improve the software and upgrade parts as they see where the problems are arising. I am sure the '12 version will be better as they learn from our comments.

As far as the bimini, I understand the Utah dealer has had a bimini fabricated that is much better, but have not seen pictures. Has anyone seen thier version??

I have their version of bimini, we like it. A lot better than the orginal.

absolutezero
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I have their version of bimini, we like it. A lot better than the orginal.

can you post pictures?

Huskie05
07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
can you post pictures?

I have some but for some reason the darn site will not except my photos... Will try again.

no dice, it goes to uploaded failed right away... any help here?

coz
07-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Looks like a radar arch to me, put a radar and some pole holders on that baby and you got one fine fishing boat :headbang: ...........that you can wakeboard behind :D

Trig2275
07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
I have some but for some reason the darn site will not except my photos... Will try again.

no dice, it goes to uploaded failed right away... any help here?

You have to resize them. They are most likely too large. The little pop up window tells you what the maximum allowable size can be based on what type of file it is.

coz
07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
You have to resize them. They are most likely too large. The little pop up window tells you what the maximum allowable size can be based on what type of file it is.

Or upload them at another site i.e. photobucket, flickr, picaso or the others and you can post full size without messing with the picture and just post the link in your replies/posts.

Harry Reynolds
07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Wow... The more new "ideas" I see, the more I love my '07 X-2. No power tower, no BIG, no ballast timers that don't work, just a rock solid boat.

tr6coug
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow... The more new "ideas" I see, the more I love my '07 X-2. No power tower, no BIG, no ballast timers that don't work, just a rock solid boat.

Amen to that. I'd rather have my tower bolted together than rely on two electric motors that need a software change to make them go up and down properly.

jason95gt
07-20-2011, 11:52 AM
The only down fall of the Utah bimini is that it has two straps from the front that has to clip onto the old style clips screwed into the deck otherwise the foldability is much better.

So far the one good thing about the ZFT-2 is the head room walking into the boat. It doesn't sit back as far as the 5p.

Thrall
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Yup!
That's why I specifically looked for an 06. Came with the old...solid tower, no cats on hte exhaust. DO the 07's have cat converters?
I was in a '11 X45 power tower this year. Tower itself is rock solid even in Lake Powell chop and looks awesome. The board racks left a bit to be desired though. They shook bad and the rotating assembly wouldn't stay tight. They kept coming around back into the boat while underway no matter how tight you tightened them.

Nerve05
07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Well, this makes the decision to move to Malibu or Nautique easier. Life long MC owners but when we trade in, we will certainly not be trading in for that.

agarabaghi
07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, this makes the decision to move to Malibu or Nautique easier. Life long MC owners but when we trade in, we will certainly not be trading in for that.

Sell Out. Ha HA Ha

Thrall
07-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Doesn't look bad fron the side, but looks chintzy from any other angle.

Just read on Wakeworld last night that MC has had enough poeple throwing up on thier front door step due to the new tower that they've stopped 2012 production with that tower and are changing it.

jwardenjr
07-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Doesn't look bad fron the side, but looks chintzy from any other angle.

Just read on Wakeworld last night that MC has had enough poeple throwing up on thier front door step due to the new tower that they've stopped 2012 production with that tower and are changing it.

POWER TOWER !!!

RMUDBUGS
07-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Can you order it without a tower and add an aftermarket one.

vision
07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
The maristar version of the X-25 comes without a tower.

Aric'sX15
07-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Oh no.....
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/UGLY.jpg

bjames
07-25-2011, 04:03 PM
It just looks like a very old 1990's style tower. At least the power tower get a lot of looks and people who comment saying that it looks very 'transformer-ish'.

plunk77
07-25-2011, 04:47 PM
someone needs to tell mastercraft this is a very bad idea

Aric'sX15
07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
its too late. this is a production model at TXMC.

snork
07-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Oh no.....
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa23/AricBrabec/UGLY.jpg

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

plunk77
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
i say mastercraft just stops making it after this year. call 2012 a loss year. because i can't imagine a lot of people will want that

jwardenjr
07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Wow that looks wimpy ! The whole boat has that Industrial Oakley look and then you put a $699 looking tower on it. NO THANKS !

erkoehler
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm speachless!

REDX2
07-25-2011, 08:21 PM
All I can say is wow thats a mutt ugly tower

Thrall
07-25-2011, 09:17 PM
At least the bottom part looks like a power tower.:rolleyes:

BARF

BTW never did see that guy post pics of a revised tower on WW like he said. Think he was from TXMC as well.
Who would drop well over $100k for a brand new X55 and crap out on the good tower anyway? Did it come with a 5.7L engine too?

I see a new market for Maristar models with ballast and New Dimensions needs to start making new MC model specific aftermarket towers for those that don't want the expense/hassle of a power tower.
Still not diggin the '11/'12 grafix either, looks like stock car numbers, but to each their own.

Eric2010MCX2
07-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I am so glad we have the now "old school" tower on our 2010 X2.... We were in rough water, outrunning a storm, twice this past weekend, us getting beat to death and the tower held strong the entire time with not much flex at all..... I will take the extra few minutes collapsing it to get it into the garage with no complaints, thank you. It has way more advantages than disadvantages.. and the bimini... in the words of the brits... is "spot on".:)

kev88
07-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Yep.....REALLY loving my 08 X-2!

Trig2275
07-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm not feeling the graphics either

Kyle
07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
That thing looks like it belongs on a mid 80's scarab.

Thrall
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Seen a couple big cruisers out on Lk Washington this weekend that had similar looking towers mounted darn nrear on the stern of the boat.
They must be sweet wake boats too.:rolleyes:
Can't imagine powering up, killin hte throttle(s), turning around, 50x a day in one of those behemoths. Then again, maybe it's just a towel rack or something.

X45fun
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I dont think this whole tower re-design is about convenience to lower it. I think it is about taking costs out of the boat. I dont think that many people need to lower their tower on these big boats. Especially on an X55 that can't fit in a garage even when the tower is lowered anyway. The latest version of the manual tower (like what is on my 2010 X45) is tremendously expensive with all the machining. But this is what makes it "MC" and I love it. To completely change the design so it can easily lower makes no sense unless it is a cost saving measure to help keep the company profitable during low volume years. I realize some people may need to lower it on the fly due to bridges and what not but why change the complete line for a few when most dont lower theirs so often that it needs to be "automatic". So this is why I think it is about lowering costs.

jdhart73
07-27-2011, 12:49 AM
This tower is getting a LOT of negative publicity.... deservingly so. WHOever approved this design has got to be sweating.

JohnE
07-27-2011, 08:33 AM
I think this tower was introduced to boost sales of the power tower.

scott023
07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I think this tower was introduced to boost sales of the power tower.

By the looks of it, they should accomplish that objective...

BIGBADBLUE
07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Sure glad I bought my X14V in 2011 ... this thing is U-G-L-Y

How could MC approve this thing. Even my 11 and 12 year old could see this thing is ugly. Compare it to the Nautique and Malibu and you conclude MC is definately behind in tower design.

Maristar210
07-27-2011, 11:36 AM
So ... SOunds like no one likes this tower?

wait......

wait for it......

Ric loves it;)

terrafirma
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
We just ordered a new 2012 X14. We got caught in limbo between the 2011 and the 2012 models and thought we were getting the 4 point ZFT2 tower. We got told it was 2012 and there were new graphics, dash and tower. When we saw the pictures of the tower above we nearly choked.! They have since added black inserts to the tower to try and make the thing look right, we couldn't get our head around it so forked out the extra for the ZFT5 which to me looks spectacular in the flesh. (Should I say Aluminium) To me the new tower looks wrong in so many ways and the structure looks on the small side, not concerned about strength only appearance, so the Power Tower it was. The Power Tower was also attractive because you can lower to halfway and get the bimini down over your head on the real hot days (When your not boarding).

snork
08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Mastercraft has a Marketing Genius. Bet they sell 4x as many Power Towers

stennes
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
wait......
wait for it......
Ric loves it;)

79 or 80 CR250?

REDX2
08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Ok guys I got to see one of these new towers on a 2012 X25 this last weekend and I have to say do not judge it till you see it in person.
From all the pics that were being posted I so hated the look, but in person it really works on a
X25

brucemac
08-16-2011, 10:54 PM

wait......

wait for it......

Ric loves it;)

i know i may be in the minority, but i like it. at least from an aesthetics standpoint. really, i do.

i used to be on the fence until i saw a parks edition up close and personal. clean and menacing were my first thoughts. i had more trouble with the chrome mastercraft logo next to the window on the gunnel (like they use for the trailers) than i did the tower.

i can't speak from experience for engineering, functionality or practicality, but the thing has grown on me. i'd add that i don't think it looks quite rite on the entire lineup, but the x-star and x-25 i've seen it on (both black) were ridiculous and i'd be proud to own both. :) (neither which i could afford atm)

tdelong
08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
I cannot believe that the 4 point is not an option anymore. Definitely a favorite. That being said the new tower has been said to be one of the toughest and sturdy towers around. It is extremely easy to fold down as well. Although the 4 point was always a favorite the new tower has grown on me and I do like the looks of it. And thank god for the option to upgrade the board racks. I couldn't handle the bungees to hold my boards. It just looks tacky. You really can't go wrong with either of these towers.

HyHy
08-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't care what you say, going back to bungees is a step back a decade. And my neighbor is now blind in an eye because of them.

JulioX2
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I went to my dealer today and they started getting some 2012's coming in. I saw an X-15 with the new 2 point non-power tower. From the pics I saw onlline it doesn't do it justice. It looks a little beefier in person.
On that not I hate to say I was really disappointed with it. It looks really cheap compared to 4 point tower. You think Mastercraft would have stepped it up on the competion with the non-power tower. Also the speaker cans were not the billet aluminun, but it appeared as it was a painted grey plastic can. Sorry I didn't take a picture of it. I'll be going back in the next few days and I'll post them.