PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brake question

helton333
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
anybody got a clue to what if the trailer brakes (2003) are totally non-responsive - even with the safety back up bolt out, nothing happens backwards or forwards - 5 pin looks good, and trailer lights work. Not sure if something in the guts (Actuator maybe) of the swivel part of the tongue hasn't died on me.

Any thoughts

kskonn
06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
I know they had a caliper issue in 03, it was pretty bad. I have seen a lot of 03 trailers, mine included when I bought it(have fixed since) have the calipers disabled so that you actually don't have trailer brakes. I have seen people weld up the actuators and essientally completely disable the trailer brakes.

krutzmart
07-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Get a new auctuator to get it fixedr or dissable breaks soon. Same thing happened to me on my old trailer and it was applying break pressure to the pads when I was driving down the road. You can guess how much heat that was creating on the bearings,tires,ect. One hot 95 degree day pullen about a 200 mile trip, I found this out the hard way when it blew one tire and blew a bearing seal. I was able to remove all of the breaks calipers, drain fluid, and dissable my breaks for the rest of the trip. I took a new actuator ,pads,fluid,bearing seal to fix it. Oh and pissed my wife off as she sat in the AC truck while I fixed it adding a few extra hours to our trip.....

DO somthing soon as the older MC trailers had these problems

georgea0731
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Did you get original parts, same bad generation or did you get a newer more modern style?

One of my pads was sticking, and finally got it to push open, but I don't trust it. I'm thinking new calipers, but curious if I should get a newer model. I see guys upgrading on their cars all the time.

helton333
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
wow - I can tell that is kind of what is happening - I will work on this NOW!

kskonn
07-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Did you get original parts, same bad generation or did you get a newer more modern style?

One of my pads was sticking, and finally got it to push open, but I don't trust it. I'm thinking new calipers, but curious if I should get a newer model. I see guys upgrading on their cars all the time.

I could be wrong but I think the recall for these was to replace them with a new/different style caliper. A dealer can tell you for sure.

mayo93prostar
07-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Helton, you should clarify if they are sticking or not working at all. If not working, check the fluid in the reservoir in the tongue. If it is empty, you likely have a leak. If have fluid, they may need bleeding the air out. If sticking, then you likely have the problem others have had as noted in other posts. It is not that difficult to replace the components, i.e. actuator and calipers.

krutzmart
07-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Aero 7500 or 6500 acuator depending on Year,make,model
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/TITAN/DICO-AERO7500/

Kodiak break pads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260686201073&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

These are parts I have found to work.

Didn't find calipers but can if you need them.