PDA

View Full Version : lost trailer guide pole

J NORRIS
06-30-2011, 11:09 AM
On the way back home last weekend (at night) from the river I lost one of my guide poles.:mad:
Any suggestions for a quick fix? I will be going out again this weekend minus a guide pole.:o
Thought about going to a muffler shop, and have them fabricate one (my guide poles have a bend in them) for me out of ss pipe and paint it black w/new guide pole covers.
Going to order another set of guide pole covers from MC today. My letters are starting to come off. They did last 10 years though.:)
Would like the guide pole to be an oem part, but I'm open for ideas. If not oem, I will be purchasing two of em, so they match.

Miss Rita
06-30-2011, 11:24 AM
exhaust tubing may not be strong enough. My guide poles look they have a wall thickness of 1/8". Any welding shop would probably have pipe the right gauge and would be able to bend it to match your other pole.

J NORRIS
06-30-2011, 11:43 AM
your right, prolly will bend it when I clamp it down. That was the problem with the original one, it was pinched/bent where clamps down, I had cut about three inches off it and thought I had solved the issue. Guess I was wrong.:(

deminimis
06-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I was looking at mine last night (measuring for the ABS sleeve, but its a different trailer set up from the sounds of it -I know mine measures differently than Miss Rita's). The metal tube is "tube," or at least it should be (tube is measured by os/ dia whereas pipe is measured by i/s dia). You will likely need a fab shop to do it. If you were closer, I'd help you out as I have a tubing bender, etc. I'd recommend you take this opportunity and get two new tubes made using a tube size that allows you to easily change the plastic sleeve with sch 80 ABS pipe that you can find at Home Depot instead of the MC-Specific stuff. Humm, that sentence made little sense. The setup on my trailer is weird as hell (the plastic sleeve is very thin (thinner than sch 40) and the tube measures in excess of 1.5" (I didn't measure the i/s dia as I figured they wouldn't have used pipe, but now I wonder). Anyway, my rec is you take it to a good fab shop and they should be able to dial you in. Best of luck.

J NORRIS
06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Went and pulled the other pole out of the trailer and took it to a welding shop down the road. They already had the exact pipe to match oem. Same diameter, same wall thickness.
Will have to go to home depot to get another plastic "sleeve" to go over the pipe.
Thanks for the thoughts Miss Rita and Deminimis