PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer Error

d2jp
06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Originally posted in 'General', maybe this is a better place to ask:

My new-to-me '89 ProStar's tach reads high by approx. 1500K. Boat came to me with EI, I'm thinking that is somehow the culprit....

Any ideas of what/where to check?

Thanks,

Jack

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted in 'General', maybe this is a better place to ask:

My new-to-me '89 ProStar's tach reads high by approx. 1500K. Boat came to me with EI, I'm thinking that is somehow the culprit....

Any ideas of what/where to check?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, welcome to the forum.

For your tach issue, try this. Depending on the brand (teleflex, right?), on the back of the tach, there ought to be a selector switch for number of cylinders in the engine (I think it's a six position switch). Over time, the switch gets some corrosion in it. Get the dash off so you can access the back of the tach. Turn the switch slowly back and forth between the full range of positions about 5 or 6 times. Then, set it back to where it was originally (8c or whatever).

My tach on my 98 SN was off about 800 rpm earlier this year and this method fixed it.

d2jp
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks east tx skier!

Tach is made by VDO, I will check out the back. I noticed the ammeter reads low compared to what I measured...reads 12ish volts compared to measured 14.4v..might have corroded connections all around.

Forum has been a big help in doing some preventative maintenance and advice!

Thanks again for your quick response, I'll let you know what I find,

Jack

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Give it a try anyway. Good luck.