PDA

View Full Version : No power under load. Please help

ramzak
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I have an 88 Tristar. 351 with Velvet Direct Drive

Boat starts up perfectly. Revs up fine OUT OF GEAR(NEUTRAL)

But When I put it ion gear and try to go, it has np power. This started to happen this weekend in the middle of the lake all of a sudden. Recently did an oil change, but thats about it.

Any ideas of where to start? Fuel Filter? Carb?

Hawksinkalispell
07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a 89 Tristar, 351 with a holley carb and have been battling lack of power for the last year. Thought I got it fixed at the end of last year but first run this year and similar problems. No real power and some hesitation out of the hole.

twinlakes
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Fuel filter. Classic symptoms.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Sounds like both boats need the carburetors rebuilt, probably vacuum secondaries aren't opening up...

Hawksinkalispell
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I rebuilt my carb last year, but maybe the secondaries aren't opening up, long winter here Montana and I can't remember if I visually inspected them opening.

I changed fuel filters and didn't make any difference for me, definetely something that should be done, but wasn't my cure.

People are also guessing fuel pump but I'm not sold on that one as the pressure needed is so low with a carbeurated engine. I just manually pumped the mechanical level and it seemed to by pushing a lot of air, after I remove the pump and inspected.

east tx skier
07-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Is the boat ultimately dying or is it just not getting on plane? In other words, are you hitting the throttle and it's barely going or is it just overall sluggish?

ramzak
07-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Yes, it is ultimately dying. Very Sluggish.

Took it out after it sat for a week and it performed fine for 10min ride time. It was only 2 of us on there, but I dont think that had anything to do with it.